BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Great job and patience. What is this product called and where can I purchase it?
Matte white vinyl wrap from stickercity.com

notens! No need to pipe down I respect your opinion, this is just an experimental/learning thing but I think they grey might look better already

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is the wrap easy to remove after it has been on the car for awhile, maybe a year or two...or three? I assume there's some kind of adhesive used? Great job so far and admire your patience! Attempted to tint my windows for the first time and got a case of road rage in the parking lot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Is the wrap easy to remove after it has been on the car for awhile, maybe a year or two...or three? I assume there's some kind of adhesive used? Great job so far and admire your patience! Attempted to tint my windows for the first time and got a case of road rage in the parking lot.
+1

Do you know if it leaves any residue on the paint when removed? Or is it a clean removal?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
It's fairly easy to remove, it's on there pretty well. There will be some residue left but if you use 409 and goo gone you can get it off easy. Hmm, maybe I should try and tint my windows next.... haha

·
Registered
622 Posts
The glue residue is mostly where areas get a lot of heat (near the exhaust, the hood, etc).

Also if you remove the door handles, wrapping the door is much easier, then you can wrap the handle separately.

Another tip for the trunk is do it in two pieces, don't try to hit it all with 1 piece it won't work right. There's a plastic piece that comes off the trunk (you'll see what I mean when you get to it).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The glue residue is mostly where areas get a lot of heat (near the exhaust, the hood, etc).

Also if you remove the door handles, wrapping the door is much easier, then you can wrap the handle separately.

Another tip for the trunk is do it in two pieces, don't try to hit it all with 1 piece it won't work right. There's a plastic piece that comes off the trunk (you'll see what I mean when you get to it).

Good luck.
Thank you for your help! Any idea how to quickly get the door handles off? or do I have to take apart everything on the doors...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thank you for your help! Any idea how to quickly get the door handles off? or do I have to take apart everything on the doors...
Door panels do not need to be removed, you can remove just the handles from the outside with hand tools.

Pull on the handle and look around, you should be able to figure it out (I don't remember off the top of my head). If you get stuck just let me know and I'll give you more detail.

Good luck and remember it's never going to be perfect. I notice all these small imperfections that people never catch (some do, most don't).

the only thing I hate about the wrap is if you get a scratch, you can't compound it out like normal paint - but you can just re wrap the scratched panel.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So this is as far as I got,
I decided that parts of the car were beyond my skill level no matter how much time I spent on them. I got the front bumper and it proved too difficult for me, so this is a bad pic from my phone since it was night.
Maybe another day, but that day is not now:

·
Registered
229 Posts
so what's the plans? you gonna remove the wrap, or take it somewhere to get finished?

props tho on how much you got done yourself

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I already took everything off. It seems the grit and rear bumper are the only things I couldn't handle. The curves were just so extreme and different on them. Maybe I'll wrap it sometime in the future but now I know what it takes. Thank you though

41 - 60 of 71 Posts