BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a M6 2013 Convertible (V8 twin turbo), i bought it with 13k miles on it still under warranty and service, back in 2015. Ever since i got it i had to add 1 quart of oil every 350 miles, and i was told by the bmw service team that it was O.K. it is within their normal as it keeps driving the oil gets thinner and burn faster. so i first believed that bs but now that i drive my car daily its a pain to go for a top off almost weekly. Today was the third time i brought in my car for service complaining on excessive oil consumption, they checked for everything no leaking no anything abnormal. They said is OK to add 2 quarts of oil every 750 miles(it seems like they dont want to see me there that often). Now, I dont drive it aggressively or even on sport mode, it has now 43k miles in it. In 2017 i bought the extended warranty for an extra 2 more years. The warranty is over in June. I dont know what to do. any advises will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Up to 2 quarts every 1,000 miles is per BMW spec. It even says so in the manual.

·
4,353 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Tell them to fix it

You cant drive a car with a boot full of oil in it

Id drop it off at dealer and leave it there

·
Registered
65 Posts
curious what oil you're running? 10-60? What's the ambient temps you typically run in? 2.5 quarts every 1k is "acceptable"...a PITA but acceptable. Any visual signs of leaks or smoke? Have a Blackstone test run also if you havent already.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There's nowhere in the owners manual that says 2 quarts every 1,000 miles
Sorry, was rushing to type - meant SIB, not manual.
The reality is - this is a motorsport derived V10 engine, not a 4-banger Kia. No, they are not your typical "change oil and forget about it until next oil change" types. These engines are DESIGNED to consume oil, some more, some less - depending on how hard you push it. They are high performance, naturally aspirated, 500+ hp 10-cylinder monsters. They drink oil, guzzle gas, and eat babies for breakfast.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Sure champ.

You dont even know what engine hes talking about

Your attitude is piss poor and obviously like to try and make problems

Id suggest if your car burned 2.5quarts per 1000 miles youd have an issue with it

Enjoy your life, your post is a reflection of yourself

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
I can read, thank you very much.

And I believe its your attitude that is the problem here.
Come on man he is talking a bout f13 m6 ..and you are mentioning s85 engine .
They are totally different platform.

Thank you.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just my 2 cents here..

I've done a bunch of reading on the twin turbo V8's in modern 550i's and 650i's being horrendous with oil consumption straight from the factory. When I went to the free BMWCCA undercarriage event this past winter, I was talking to the master tech and he said their biggest pain in the A right now was FULL engine replacements and many many many of them due to excessive oil consumption - even engine seizure.

Might be a class action lawsuit, but appears to be a link here already for that. Just saying, IDGAF what BMW thinks is "normal oil consumption" one quart every 350 miles is straight bullshit. My E46 330i had constant issues with oil consumption, seemed like I was always adding it, keeping the oil companies in business even after I buttoned up every single seal on that engine. Contrary to that, my E39 M5 barely consumes any between oil changes, has a small very very slow weeping valve cover gasket leak,. but otherwise is incredibly solid as far as oil goes even with almost 100K miles. The M52 engines were incredibly stout and had zero issues with piston rings, the M54 was plagued with this, and now it seems that the new twin turbo V8's are too.

It's a design flaw, no engine should consume that much oil other than a top fuel dragster pushing the metal to it's physical limits. AND IF IT DOES FOR SOME REASON, IT SHOULD BE CLEARLY STATED ON BILL OF SALE RIGHT IN THE PURCHASER's FACE: "****NOTE: THIS ENGINE WILL CONSUME OIL AT A RATE OF 1 QUART EVERY 350 MILES, AND IT IS UP TO THE OWNER TO REPLACE THE OIL.*****"

Hiding this fact, while being aware of it is shady tactics, and most certainly telling your customers that it's "within acceptable limits" is utterly bullshit.

Reactions: sunsweet

·
Registered
962 Posts
^^ that being said, I am not sure I've heard the same about the twin turbo V8 M specific engines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's nowhere in the owners manual that says 2 quarts every 1,000 miles
The S63 engines in the M5 / M6 normally do not have high oil consumption. The high oil consumption was a problem with the N63 (non M engines). The problem was corrected on the M engines. There is definitely a problem with your engine. I do not have to add any oil between oil changes on my '14 M6 GC CP.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Must be a convertible thing.

1 - 19 of 30 Posts