BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The beast went suddenly into limp mode last weekend (throttling up in 4th gear at about 80 mph) and I thought something really broke...got it home, read up on limp mode and after reading a few posts, appears likely culprit is the MAFS's. no codes thrown however... MAF in my car is Bosch MASS AIR FLOW METER F00C2G2029, which is what the site referenced sells.

Just wanted everyone to know I found them on a uk ebay site for 50GBP, I offered 45 and they accepted. 9GBP for shipping and I'll have them here in WA state for a little less than $160 US!

There is a post here somewhere for a site that sell them for $345 and throws in a torx wrench. I looked at their site, but decided to do a little research first...glad I did. ebay store is called autoparts-forless24. found them by searching for the bosch part # and purchased the torx bit at lowes for $4!

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Don't mean to slap you in the face, but you get what you pay for when it comes precision instrument and/or sensors! This has been proven MANY MANY times...

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The UK ones are Bosch fakes!
Yep!

Don't mean to slap you in the face, but you get what you pay for when it comes precision instrument and/or sensors! This has been proven MANY MANY times...
So true! The only "cheap" ones are the VAG ones but even those are not exact replacements. I would use them for validating if an OEM replacement was necessary or to limp me home as I once had to do.

. .. and purchased the torx bit at lowes for $4!

Cheers!
You can get a five-point security bit at Lowes? I did not know that. I have never seen one and have always used Vise-Grips and then just put a self-tapping screw with a common head back in.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yes... yes it has. I've been victim to it as well. From UK no less with a BMW/LandRover Bosch MAF. Was *not* what the Dr. ordered, looked different and didn't last much more than a few months.

Juat get them from BimmerZone, save money and be happy... http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/BMW_Performance_MAFS.html

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
why dont you ave yourelf the aggrivation and get the alpha n tune from evolve

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The beast went suddenly into limp mode last weekend (throttling up in 4th gear at about 80 mph) and I thought something really broke...got it home, read up on limp mode and after reading a few posts, appears likely culprit is the MAFS's. no codes thrown however... MAF in my car is Bosch MASS AIR FLOW METER F00C2G2029, which is what the site referenced sells.

Just wanted everyone to know I found them on a uk ebay site for 50GBP, I offered 45 and they accepted. 9GBP for shipping and I'll have them here in WA state for a little less than $160 US!

There is a post here somewhere for a site that sell them for $345 and throws in a torx wrench. I looked at their site, but decided to do a little research first...glad I did. ebay store is called autoparts-forless24. found them by searching for the bosch part # and purchased the torx bit at lowes for $4!

Cheers!
Lemme guess, you didnt use the ebay site, so not buyer protection AND you paid with your bank account so no way to chargeback?

THey will have those numbers, but they are counterfeits... discussed here multiple times.

GL...Maybe if you act fast...

A

·
Registered
8 Posts
E39 M5 Mass air flow sensors

For people who live in higher elevation, you need to stick to factory OEM mass air flow sensors, I just went through this problem here in Denver, I bought some from a different supplier and they would not work, I had to plunk out and buy the factory ones and it fixed the issue.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
For people who live in higher elevation, you need to stick to factory OEM mass air flow sensors, I just went through this problem here in Denver, I bought some from a different supplier and they would not work, I had to plunk out and buy the factory ones and it fixed the issue.
Bosch is the OEM. There are no aftermarket, as it were, manufacturers for the E39 MAFS. Well, there are but they only produce counterfeit Bosch units. I am curious as to who your original supplier was.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
There's a lot of places to save money on the M5, but key electronics is not one of them, the MAFs are like a pacemaker if you will. OEM or go bust!

·
4,308 Posts
remember the difference between OEM & OE; this recently came up on mafs in the for sale section

Bosch Mafs are OEM
BMW Mafs are OE

this is a common mistake people make when purchasing on the internet - either because they don't make the distinction or through misrepresentation

bimmerzone sells BOSCH OEM Mafs

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
remember the difference between OEM & OE; this recently came up on mafs in the for sale section

Bosch Mafs are OEM
BMW Mafs are OE

this is a common mistake people make when purchasing on the internet - either because they don't make the distinction or through misrepresentation

bimmerzone sells BOSCH OEM Mafs
Exactly and to my point . . .

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™ II, Epic™ 4G Touch (Sprint) using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
347 Posts
You can get a five-point security bit at Lowes? I did not know that. I have never seen one and have always used Vise-Grips and then just put a self-tapping screw with a common head back in.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the security bit? One place I saw that sold them required proof or authorization that you were a repair shop or company that should have access to these bits. You couldn't buy them as a normal consumer.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the security bit? One place I saw that sold them required proof or authorization that you were a repair shop or company that should have access to these bits. You couldn't buy them as a normal consumer.
Yes? I guess it depends what you see as the purpose of the security bit actually is? My stance is that the security screws contribute exactly nothing materially to the MAFS and the way they operate and as such, are not required. ANY screw of proper size will perform the same function.

I have never had an issue getting ANY security bits from ANY vendor. In fact, I have a 30-piece security bit set that I bought at some hardware store. I am glad I had it as I had to replace the cord on a coffee maker at work and the bottom was held on by a security-head screw, oddly enough. Security bits are readily available in my experience.

I unfortunately had only one five-point security wrench for the MAFS screws and I didn't have it when I needed it most; on the road to Clemsterfest in New York when my MAFS failed. I also did not have a spare set of MAFS so I bought VAG (!) MAFS just to get me by. Fortunately, I did have a pair of Vise-Grips with me and they worked perfectly to remove the security screws and I swapped out the MAFS. The Vise-Grips worked so well that when I got home and I couldn't find that security wrench, I really didn't care.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
yes, you can purchase the bits at Sears or Home Deport or Ace-is-the-Place. Or you can take the screw off with a pair of vice grips [I did that before I bought a set of security torx bits from Sears] and replace it with an identical screw with a plain cross-tip head. That's what I did and it makes it a 5 second operation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts