BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a code that is preventing a successful emissions test (P1117) Mass or Volume air flow circuit low input. Is there a wa to clean these or am I stuck purchasing new ones an an astronomical price?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,069 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so I did order the MAF's Kevin recommended above, I also reviewed what Mailman posted. I'm kind of a "stock person" when it comes to modern (or more modern than carburetor) BMWs but my question is the AlphaN product seems a bit more complicated and expensive when compared to spending 249.00 for a pair of OEM sensors. Again, I'm not an expert by any means so if there are things I'm missing please chime in, and thanks for all the comments. Owning a new-to-me 20 yr old M5 is an experience- mostly enjoyable so far :cool:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
OK, so I did order the MAF's Kevin recommended above, I also reviewed what Mailman posted. I'm kind of a "stock person" when it comes to modern (or more modern than carburetor) BMWs but my question is the AlphaN product seems a bit more complicated and expensive when compared to spending 249.00 for a pair of OEM sensors. Again, I'm not an expert by any means so if there are things I'm missing please chime in, and thanks for all the comments. Owning a new-to-me 20 yr old M5 is an experience- mostly enjoyable so far :cool:
Based on your reply, I would just stick with new MAF's. I'm glad someone suggested it over cleaning them. Not worth the hassle IMO. Way back when, they were more expensive. The OEM Bosch units have come down in price, making it a better option to simply replace them.

Good luck and let us know if the problem is solved.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm a recent supporter of FCP Euro (Next day shipping flat rate for $20? Yes please!), and I am a Bremi fan for ignition coils. Found these:

$72.89 each. (Too good to be true? Maybe.)

I've replaced maf sensors probably more often than required. (One set from Bimmerzone for $250, two sets of Bosch from Amazon for $220 a set. And yes to my undying shame, (sigh) one set of "Yeah, these maf sensors are just as good as the genuine ones at a fraction of the cost!" for $80...)

Anyway, I've personally never seen Bremi Mafs before, I'm about due for a change anyway, and for $180 shipped next day and Republik of Kalifornia tax included, worth a shot.

Now I'm waiting patiently for that fcpeuro "come back and get 5% off of your cart with this code so Carl can stop holding your stuff" email.

For reference, here are the Bosch mafs on Amazon ($110.78 each):

(I would have just ordered two of these with free Prime one day shipping, but it says 3 in stock, but when you try and order two, the shipping goes from tomorrow to March 12th-April 1st.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MAF change and Thermostat replace: I just wanted to report back on the MAF replacement. This started with a fail at the emissions station where I was told that I needed a new Thermostat and Bank 2 MAF. I got the MAF's and it only took me two tries to replace the O-rings in the thermostat and then a reset of the computer (code clearing) and I'm back in business... One unexpected but pleasant surprise was the additional power noticed when the MAFs were replaced. I still have to drive the car for 50 miles or so before I can get her inspected and I'll post the results in a couple days.

Thanks for all the information above!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I just cleaned mine as preventative measure, no issues but did it along with spark plugs and all filters. Had to order the special 5 point security torx.

If I was replacing I wouldn't want to pay for the whole plastic piece, just the sensors themselves. If I end up having issues will order from BZone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts