BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a maserati quattroporte parked across the street from my house...i was wondering whether any of you guys had an experience driving it, what is it like?
it costs here as much as M5 does, so it would be interesting to know how well it compares to it...

------------------
SL

[This message has been edited by KnightRider (edited 20 November 2000).]

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by KnightRider:
there is a maserati quattroporte parked across the street from my house...i was wondering whether any of you guys had an experience driving it, what is it like?
it costs here as much as M5 does, so it would be interesting to know how well it compares to it...

I drove a U.S. spec one back in the early 90s. It was a great car to drive and made wonderful sounds as only an Italian car can. But, it was a relability nightmare. They havn't been sold in the USA for years so I don't know how a new one would compare to an e39 M5. The early 90s model fared well against the e34 M5 though.

------------------

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Wow...blast from the past...

A family friend owned a burgundy one and in fact I drove it to my high school prom.

From what I remember it was very testy, would seem very dated now, and handled like a waterbed.

Alps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Maserati Quattroporte (00 model) is a nice super sedan, especially the V8 model. Produces less power than the M5 and E55, but still is an excellent car though, it is better compared to the S8, price and power wise, as it has 247KW and the S8 250KW.
And a bit more expensive than the M5.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Maserati has unsuccessfully marketed a few sedans here - don't forget the BiTurbo (or was that a coupe.) In any case, they ALL fell apart. Too bad, 'cuz the old QuattroPorte was pretty - one of the most beautiful luxurious interiors I've ever seen.

I didn't know they were trying again. Aren't they owned by Chrysler now?

I would be VERY careful - but if in fact Chrysler has had a major influence on their quality, it might be a nice, unique car...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I think Chrysler's ownership of Maserati petered out sometime back at the end of the Iacocca era.

Maserati's product, from the '70s onward, showed a complete inability to come to grips with the kind of capital investment and engineering diligence required to build cars for the regulated US market.

Occasionally some clever work, but they made Alfas look positively Toyotaesque in their details.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The BiTurbo was a neat car...our neighbor had one back in the day...

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Maserati is now owned by Ferrari and the quality of newer cars are considerably better than it used to be but not on par with BMW.

My CEO owns a Quattroporte (among all his other cars).
The Quattroporte is an interresting alternative to M5 with a beautiful interior, a real nice song from the pipes, pretty good handling, good speed resources and the choice of automatic transmission if prefered.
As for me. I choose the M5.

/Johan

·
Registered
853 Posts
The Maserati is a great car....magnificent Twin-turbo engine but I think reliability is in question. While it's an interesthing alternative to the M5, I would choose an M5 ANYTIME! The 3200Gt Coupe is a great alterntative to the Porsche 911, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts