BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I can ask a market price question of the folks that are actively shopping for cars these days....

What would you guess the market price (private party transaction and not CPO through a dealer and not dealer trade in value) would be for a 2003 M5 with the following features?

6,000 miles
Warranty until 7/07
Individual Paint (Electric Red)
PDC
Electric Sunshade
Kelleners Mufflers
Huperoptik Tint (30%) all around (ceramic based. not metallic based)
JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer and Focal kevlar component front speakers
JL Audio amplification (300/4 for the in-car speakers and 500/1 for the subwoofer in the trunk)
Lidatek LE30 dual transponder setup

Condition commensurate with mileage and ownership by auto nut. Never seen winter. Hardly seen rain.

Thanks for your input.

David

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
m5guru said:
P.S. Pictures of the car can be seen throughout my web site at: http://www.m-powered.com

Thanks again,
David
I would guesstimate high 50's, approaching 60 if it is just the right car for the buyer(one who appreciates the anal care as well as the stereo upgrades).
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm also shopping in Southern California. I find the "deals" others are getting just aren't appearing for me - yet. I am patient - and looking.

Not knowing your local market - I would guess very high 50's for this car. CPO asking price here would probably be at least $65K.

Good luck. This sounds like a fantastic car - custom color, and very low milage. Let us know what the final outcome is.
Regards,
Alfred

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Agree with the assessments.

The issue wil be right buyer- the universe of folks willing to spend $52-55k on a used car without a cpo is small enough- now you are looking to find the buyer who will do that AND pay an extra 5k for low miles and stereo upgrades. Any offer over 57k should be hard to turn down...

Bummer I know- (should have driven it more! :) )

Good luck

A

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
David,

What are you thinking...the unthinkable??? ??????

This is going to make somebody's day for sure. The electric red is incredible on the M5. I guess this means you're not planning on coming to Oktoberfest this year?

Chuck

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
David,

Your car does NOT have fold-down rear seats? (did not see it on your list). If I ever get another M5, I'd go for one without the folding seats.

I have to agree that the high $50s is best one can expect right now. The flood of 2003s on 3 year leases are about to hit the market. There will be many deals that looks 'good' (at least on paper) soon. I hope you make your sale before the wave of cars hits.

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would agree with the masses, Dave. High 50s to low 60s ultimately determined by the nature of the buyer. As you doubtless know, getting any value out of most mods is difficult but not completely impossible. Good luck!!

One last question, I have been considering Huper Optik tinting. How satisfied have you been with yours? Any fading, peeling, etc.? How long has it been on? I like the idea of ceramic tinting because of the potential radio and Sirius reception degradation if metallic film is used. Any observations would be much appreciated. 5driver :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I suspected. At that price, there is no way I'd sell it. It is too good a car. Without any sort of hitch so far. And I've got a UUC short shifter in the box waiting to be installed!

If I couldn't get mid to high 60's, it is not worth selling. I'm not dissatisfied at all with the car (and wouldn't know what I'd replace it with anyways); just curious what the market is these days.

I recently sold a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 with 9,000 miles on it. For some reason, that car is still considered quite hot amongst its followers and I took the most minimal of depreciation hits on it after 18 months of driving it and 9,000 miles. I only lost about $2,200 on it. I lost that much on the M5 before my rear wheels were off the dealer's lot! So if the market were very strong underneath this car, I'd consider letting it go to someone who would appreciate it more than I've been able to. Too many distractions at this point in my life.

Thanks for the input.

And re: Oktoberfest, if I can get some time off, I'll definitely think about it. Are some people from DC going down as a group?

Finally, re: Huperoptik, it is very expensive. Probably not work the added expense. But I just didn't want to have any problems with cellular, radio, radar, or satellite navigation signals. Enough people out there have metallic films without significant problems that it is probably an academic exercise. But there have been no problems. It appears to be a high quality tint. A bit thicker than your regular tint. No problems with delaminating, scratching, peeling, etc. A little more subtle look than some of the more glossy (i.e. metallic) tints out there.

David

·
Registered
131 Posts
Get the car CPO'd and end up paying around $60k. You can now get the car CPO'd by BMW for around $2000 and not have to buy it from a dealer! For the 100kmi warranty it is worth the money considering some of the board stories.

This is a 6000 mile car, how many of these do you think are out there?
:M5launch: It probably still has a good clutch in it even!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Xcargo said:
Get the car CPO'd and end up paying around $60k. You can now get the car CPO'd by BMW for around $2000 and not have to buy it from a dealer! For the 100kmi warranty it is worth the money considering some of the board stories.

This is a 6000 mile car, how many of these do you think are out there?
:M5launch: It probably still has a good clutch in it even!
I totally agree with the CPO scenerio. Trick is to find a friendly dealer willing to do it for a reasonable price. This 'mod' will bring value in a resale.

The low miles car is a dilemma. If I put a lot of miles on (and I do), then a low mileage car carries no premium for me as it will not end up a low-mileage sample when I sell.

If I am a collector, values a garage queen, and will keep it a garage queen, then a super low miles car is worth the extra initial cost. Unfortunately, there are too many M5s to make that a collector's car in the long run (no matter how much we love this car, reality is reality). Also 6k miles is not low enough to qualify as a true garage queen.

I don't mean to belittle David's car. It is a great car in it's own right. Just my 2 cents.

CP

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
m5guru said:
I recently sold a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 with 9,000 miles on it. For some reason, that car is still considered quite hot amongst its followers and I took the most minimal of depreciation hits on it after 18 months of driving it and 9,000 miles. I only lost about $2,200 on it. I lost that much on the M5 before my rear wheels were off the dealer's lot!
One of my friends who is currently researching several luxury sedans, including the 7 series, just told me that BMW has the best resale value of all of the luxury car manufacurers. I guess that is considered good for a luxury car. ouich

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2003 with 10800 miles, CPO'd till April 2009 for $62,000. I was previously working on a 2003 with 18900 miles, no-cpo for $58,000. I also had two previous 2003 cpo'd, less then 20000 miles M5's, sold out for under my $60,000 offers.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
MikeLa said:
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2003 with 10800 miles, CPO'd till April 2009 for $62,000. I was previously working on a 2003 with 18900 miles, no-cpo for $58,000. I also had two previous 2003 cpo'd, less then 20000 miles M5's, sold out for under my $60,000 offers.

Hope this helps
Mike- Your shopping is getting longer than either mine or greers!

But I just cannot jibe your prices (offers of 60k) with the market and the results. We hear post after post of 03s being acquired at 53 to 58k, yet your 60k offers are declined. Wierd. Meener is selling his 03 with 18k here on the board for around 58k or less, in all likelyhood.

Are you only shopping at dealerships? I suppose that might make sense if you take the 6-8k dealer profit out of the equation.

ANyway, expect to see a "finally!" post from you soon!

Good luck

A

·
Registered
91 Posts
chunpng said:
If I ever get another M5, I'd go for one without the folding seats.
I am curious to know why you say this.

I am shopping for an E39 M5 (to replace my E34 M5) and one option that I would really like is the folding rear seats. It makes the car much more practical in my eyes (you can carry much larger items in the car), so I don't understand why everybody doesn't want this option - nor why so few M5's seem to have it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went without the folding seat option because my impression was that the folding seats were more upright and less contoured than the fixed seats (and perhaps less padded as well?). In other words, if you plan on actually having peoplel sit in the rear seat, the fixed seats are more comfortable.

Then again, I also have a 996 which couldn't give a **** about the rear passengers' comfort, so what do I know? :hihi:

David

·
Registered
91 Posts
m5guru said:
if you plan on actually having peoplel sit in the rear seat, the fixed seats are more comfortable.
Ah - thanks for the explanation. I rarely have people in the back, but do occasionally want to carry large items so the folding rear seats would be a plus for me. Then again, so few M5s have them that I am unlikely to find a car that meets all my other criteria and which also has this option.
Then again, I also have a 996 which couldn't give a **** about the rear passengers' comfort, so what do I know?
Yes, as a 911 (1989 Carrera 3.2) owner myself, I am aware of the limitations of the rear seats!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
//Porsche,

Besides less comfort for rear passengers, the folding seats tend to rattle. That's annoying. I have 2 SUVs and a minivan (wife and children cars) at home so those fill my hauling duties.

My RUF BTR also has near-useless rear seats. But no one's ever complained about that. :)

CP

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I've neevr heard the 'comfort argument'

I have heard, from owners and BMW sales people that after a while, the folding seats will rattle/squeak- especially with a few years on the clock. Just another auditory annoyance.

With an SUV and a F2504x4turbodiesel and two trailers, the M isn't my first, second or third choice for hauling! :)

A

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.