BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 6 Autocar (Wolfgang König's column on p.15) quotes insiders as saying that the 5er will be "even more of an aquired taste than the odd-looking 7 series and it is too late to do anything about it."

even more of an aquired taste?!!!

:eek: :crying: :eek: grrrrrrr

·
Registered
557 Posts
Now that it comes to mind, exactly who at BMW is responsible for the new styling of the 7? Are they also responsible for the 5?

I was thinking that Bangle is the one in charge but then I recently read something about BMW contracting the styling work to an outside design firm. Please update me.

Say it's not true. :crying:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Guys,

I meant to post this the other week. I believe we are all bashing Chris Bangle in error. On page 28 of the 1/2002 edition of BMW Magazine (a blue 7-series car is on the cover) I quote:

"Adrian van Hooydonk, newly appointed President of Designworks/USA, was responsible for the exterior design of the completely redesigned 2002 7 series".

Hopefully they won't make too radical a redesign of the 5 series. Again, knowing that I'm in the minority here I rather like the new 7 when seen in person, up close. Yes there are major design changes but it sort of grows on you. I have more of a problem with the eyebrows on the headlights than I do with the rear.

One man's opinion...

DWP

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I hate to say this but autocar is often very reliable:crying:

Adam

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, styling:

BMW AG decides to build car X. They have engineers to get the specs of the car and general size data. Then they hire a design studio. I dont know if they have an inhouse studio in Germany, I would imagine they do, and then there is this company in CA called Designworks. I dont know when they came on line for BMW, but I think it was either with the E36 3 Series or the Z3.

Chris Bangle works for BMW and is their design chief. Adrian van Hooydonk works for Designworks, with BMW as a client. Before AVH, a guy named Henrik Fisker worked at DW. He drew the Z8. While CB has final say over design, so he yeas or neys designs, they do come from other designers. So yes, the new 7 is the result of AVHs designs. The Z9 and the XCoupe (I dont know about the CS1) are AVH designs.

It was pointed out elsewhere that CB has OKayed other designs, the E46, the Z3, the Z8, etc- whatever you think of them, they are of course less contriversial than the E65. I believe changes at BMW have allowed CB to have more direct control over styling decisions (Wolfgang Reitzle (sp?) leaving). Is this good or bad? We wont know for several years because the market will be the final judge.

So I do agree that final blame or praise cannot be CB's alone, there are people that are hired to do designs: DW/ AVH; and there are people above him (the board of AG) that have final say. But just like the coach who has a under/over performing team, CB will be blamed or praised in the end. I give him credit for sticking to his guns. I just dont know if I personally agree with the design choices they are making. The new 7 has grown on me, but Id say mostly because of the fantastic technology it offers- not idrive, although it is an interesting approach, but the actual driving technology.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
To clarify ME's Most Excellent Post, DesignWorks is a wholly owned subsidiary of BMW. It does not, however, design solely for BMW and it does a fair amount of non-automotive design work.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rvacha,
thanks for the compliment. :) I forgot to say that about DW because I was remembering that DW began as an indepentant company......

lets see BMW makes a new 7 that should have relatively high profit margins and they make a mini that should have relatively lower profit margins and I know which one I am naturally drawn to first....... ME want MINI! too bad I have absolutely no reason to have one.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Autocar is a very reliable and good magazine. One of the best out there. If you think Auto Motor Sport is too pro-German then read Autocar :cheers:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm beginning to think that BMW's styling, at least post-Z8, post-X5, is being done by Mercedes-Benz...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts