BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm at 99993 and will reach 100,000 miles tomorrow.

I've heard of a few at this mileage - how many on here?

for those interested - It's a 99 Euro import to UK car. I bought it exactly 2 years ago from main dealer with 47,000 miles - Apart from regular servicing, tyres and a set of disks and pads the only thing I've had replaced is the speedo binnacle (loosing dots problem), a couple of seals and wiper relay - leaking sump gasket to be done next month.

Vanos sounds OK so may have been replaced before 47k. Clutch is getting a bit high, so will need doing soon. Oil consumption - about 1litre/3000 miles. Fuel consumption 19mpg.

Otherwise - FANTASTIC car. Will probably keep at least another 2 years (50k miles)

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have 98,245 miles so I'll be joining the 100,000 ,mile club very shortly.

I ordered the car new and aside from a "supposed" head problem, I've had few problems.

No vanos replacement although I do have that occasional rattle - 1 clutch although, the 2nd is just now starting to slip.

About the same oil consumption as yours - about 1 quart per 4,000 miles - I use the 10W-60 as recommended.

Couple of power steering hoses replaced, 1 cam sensor replaced by dealer for free?!?!

No brake pad replacements either - a few minor things but overall, a tremendous car and I'm extremely happy with it.

I KNOW it'll make another 100,000 - I'm counting on it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Whizzkid11 said:
?????? ... Do you drive the car...? rather does your car stop??? ?????? :confused: ??????
I know - the last two times I had the car in for service, I asked to have the brakes looked at - nothing wrong, but concerned about the mileage on them.

Both times, said they were fine.

They must be because, you know the dealer would love to replace them.

I "selectively" get on the car - had it at 150 mph once and over 120 mph literally over 50 times coming home through the Fort Bragg Military Reservation.

But, I have never tracked it, only burned out maybe 10 times which probably expalins the long-life of the clutch as well.

Great car.

She's my baby.lovelove

·
Registered
266 Posts
tranck said:
I know - the last two times I had the car in for service, I asked to have the brakes looked at - nothing wrong, but concerned about the mileage on them.

Both times, said they were fine.

They must be because, you know the dealer would love to replace them.

I "selectively" get on the car - had it at 150 mph once and over 120 mph literally over 50 times coming home through the Fort Bragg Military Reservation.

But, I have never tracked it, only burned out maybe 10 times which probably expalins the long-life of the clutch as well.

Great car.

She's my baby.lovelove

Hey tranck,

Do you have an S2 on your car and if so then are you the miliary guy that comes to Atlanta periodically to have Ron from performing imports work on your car?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
bluestreak said:
Hey tranck,

Do you have an S2 on your car and if so then are you the miliary guy that comes to Atlanta periodically to have Ron from performing imports work on your car?
No blue, I used to be a medical sales rep and my territory included Fayetteville, NC where Fort Bragg is located.

That's how my car got the mileage.

·
Registered
590 Posts
tranck said:
No brake pad replacements either
Hey tranck,

Sounds like you take good car of your car and will probably get another 100,000 out of it with the same kind of care.

I would change those brake pads though. After 100,000 miles thickness of the pad doesn't tell the whole story. They could be cracked, hard, and brittle which could result in less stopping distance. Put a new set of pads and rotors, front and rear and you'll notice a big inprovement in stopping. You'll be good to go for another 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
hudson said:
Hey tranck,

Sounds like you take good car of your car and will probably get another 100,000 out of it with the same kind of care.

I would change those brake pads though. After 100,000 miles thickness of the pad doesn't tell the whole story. They could be cracked, hard, and brittle which could result in less stopping distance. Put a new set of pads and rotors, front and rear and you'll notice a big inprovement in stopping. You'll be good to go for another 100,000 miles.
That sounds reasonable - might just have to do that - makes sense.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
A bit off topic, but...

I've only got 23k on my M, but I have 240k on my Q45.

Think back to the acquisition- I hear folks weighing purchases with 'well this one has 15k miles, but the other one has 9k miles' (or 21k miles) I'll admit, that was a factor for me in the beginning of my quest, but not in the end.

How immaterial those 6k miles are in the scheme of things.

Clean, well cared for and well driven- 5-10k in miles doesn't matter that much.

Ard

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
At my current rate, my 00 M5 should hit 100k in 2010, at 10k a year

But, my 99 996 should hit 100k in 2039, at 2500 a year.

And much, much worse than that, my beloved 76 TurboCarrera should hit 100k in 2056 at 1250 a year. I will celebrate my 103rd birthday that year as well.

Steve cherrsagai

And then again, my 99 BMW motorcycle should hit 100k early in the 22nd century. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm not there yet (only 65K) but back when I was shopping for one, getting a low mileage M5 with time left on the warranty was a big deal. Mine's getting a new clutch next month, and performance chip shortly thereafter.

VANOS and other engine sensor problems have sorted themselves out, thank goodness, but look for your battery to go soon. Mine got replaced this week, not cheap, but I knew that going in. :3:

I'll likely hit 100K in three years. Add one more to that, and I'll be ready to buy an E60 M5 coming off lease! :M5launch:

Happy Beasting!

·
Registered
616 Posts
TurboCarrera said:
At my current rate, my 00 M5 should hit 100k in 2010, at 10k a year

But, my 99 996 should hit 100k in 2039, at 2500 a year.

And much, much worse than that, my beloved 76 TurboCarrera should hit 100k in 2056 at 1250 a year. I will celebrate my 103rd birthday that year as well.

Steve cherrsagai

And then again, my 99 BMW motorcycle should hit 100k early in the 22nd century. :M5thumbs:
So when are you planning to buy these cars? :7:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, Bit late but i have just read your post. My 1999 M5 has 116,000 miles on the clock. I have only owned it 5 weeks so far and there have been a couple of little problems. The ABS/Traction control intermittently fails and the passenger door mirror does not fold back sometimes! Apart from that the body and interior are like new. I drove 650 miles at the weekend, some at high speed and it used a litre of oil. The petrol consumption was 24mpg on motorway at speeds between 90 and 120mph, so not bad at all! The service book indicated that the car did 64,000 miles in its first year travelling to switzerland and back every other weekend. So far so good, i will keep my fingers crossed. My last BMW had 147,000 miles on clock and I drove it 3,500 miles round spain and it used half a litre of oil!

·
Registered
212 Posts
sold mine before xmas on 97K miles so its probably past the 100k now. I wonder how she is fairing with the new boss?

bought a E38 740 sport 2001 and although not obviously as quick its great for the motorway driving i am doing now every day. Cannot stop myself from checkingh out the prices of the RS6 for sale but will try to live with the 740 for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
M5_in_MD said:
I'll likely hit 100K in three years. Add one more to that, and I'll be ready to buy an E60 M5 coming off lease! :M5launch:

Happy Beasting!
That's a good plan, one I might follow. I just wonder what the value of our cars will be then ...hummmm:confused3

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'm at 87k miles right now, so I expect that I'll hit 100k this fall.

I think a new clutch and a full professional exterior detailing will be called for at that time.

cherrsagai

1 - 20 of 24 Posts