BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2013 F10 M5 that I bought from the dealer with only 9000KM. The car looks great but after having the car for only a few days I noticed that the transmission makes a rattling noise when I put the car in first gear and slowly release the clutch without applying any gas. I also hear it slightly when shifting in lower gears.

I've brought my car to 2 different dealerships and both ultimately came back to me saying that rattling is a normal characteristic of the F10 M5 manual transmission. One of the two dealerships even changed the transmission fluid to see if they could find any metal filing from the transmission and could not find anything wrong. Since manual gearboxes are so rare for the F10 M5, the mechanics at both dealerships have not even worked on one before and could not compare my vehicle with another one on the lot. They both came to the conclusion that the rattling was normal since they could not find a similar ticket opened with BMW North America.

Is there anyone else out there with a manual F10 M5 that is experiencing this same issue?

·
Registered
56 Posts
...I've brought my car to 2 different dealerships and both ultimately came back to me saying that rattling is a normal characteristic of the F10 M5 manual transmission...
I can't answer your question but that answer sounds like BS to me and is the answer you give when you don't know and when you don't want to deal with it. The fact that there's no metal shavings means it's unlikely the tranny, but could be a linkage or any number of other things. I just can't imagine that is a normal sound what you've described in a $100K car. Did the car make the sound on your test drive? I think perhaps you should contact BMW NA about it and push the issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've noticed clutch chatter as well on my 6MT 2013, but nothing seems out of the ordinary. How pronounced is your rattle? Is it something you could capture on a camera phone and send it over? I'm happy to share notes if you want to PM me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Definitely have some clutch chatter on mine as well, but it's very faint. I'll only hear it if I'm listening for it and there's nothing on the stereo.

I remember thinking it's kind of funny that such a heavy, well insulated car has to pump engine noise through speakers...but I can still get some clutch chatter in the cabin?

If that's what you're referring to then it's probably nothing to worry about. If it's really loud then there might be something else wrong...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 2013 with DCT. Similar rattle on cold starts between 1-3 gears. Can you have clutch rattle with the DCT as well?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts