BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to take the beast out for a run today with all the mods together (see sig). I had my coilovers, sway bars, and wheels installed 2 days before I was rearended so I didn't have the opportunity to test it on some proper roads.

My route today was as follows: PCH, Topanga Canyon, Old Topanga, Mullholland HWY, Stunt Rd., Piuma, Malibu Canyon, back to Mullholland HWY, Kanan, Latigo. For those of you familiar with these roads, you will agree that they range from very tight turns (Latigo) to long sweepers. It was a good day.

I found the steering to be very precise, with eager and accurate turn in. The car tracked very well, even in the tightest decreasing radius turns. There was no hint of understeer and you could actually feel the back end following the front.

Some of my favorite turns contain elevation changes, such as uphill rights into downhill lefts. With all the mods in place, the car stays extremely well composed, with zero body roll. Very entertaining. Driven smoothly, the car handles like something 1/2 its weight.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with how the mods worked together and really brought out the best in the Beast.

The pics below are of an accident I encountered. I believe that a motorcyclist went over the guard rail. There's a pic of the Beast also, but it's not a very good pic, I just happened to have my camera out to take pics of the rescue. You can see them using a winch of some sort.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
everytime i try to upload a jpeg image, it gives me this error:

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/httpd/www.m5board.com/attachments/3befc659f87b681c64c41e80431d8c8d): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /includes/functions_file.php on line 214

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/tmp/phpIXz0OV' to '/home/httpd/www.m5board.com/attachments/3befc659f87b681c64c41e80431d8c8d' in /includes/functions_file.php on line 214

Warning: filesize(): Stat failed for /home/httpd/www.m5board.com/attachments/3befc659f87b681c64c41e80431d8c8d (errno=2 - No such file or directory) in /includes/functions_file.php on line 226

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hobbez said:
What was the police presence like?

I haven't driven malibu since that operation safe canyons BS was started.
Other than the accident, I didnt see a single cop.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I know all the roads from cycling (bicycle) - I have never taken the M5 up there. Please remember to share the road with us slow two wheelers too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mamsterla said:
I know all the roads from cycling (bicycle) - I have never taken the M5 up there. Please remember to share the road with us slow two wheelers too.
I am always very conscious of bikers and motorcyclist as I ride my Ducati in that area. I never, ever, cross the double yellow or get too close to bikers. :cheers:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thank you for sharing your experience Sean. I'm glad that you are happy with the mods. Is the ride harsher?

I look forward to seeing the pictures. Sorry to hear about the cyclist.:crying2:

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Sean,

Thanks for the update on the PSS9's and other mods. It would be great if you could take a picture of the front strut/tire clearance (between inner tire sidewall and lower spring perch at your current ride height -- Here's an example of a GC strut lowered about as far as possible with a 9.5"/275 front setup. ). If you could also measure the front ride height for this setting, it would be much appreciated. Measure from the center of the roundel to the fender lip.

I'm considering the PSS9's, but my concern is that at the ride height I would like to use, the lower spring perch might interfere with front 9.5" and 275's.

Thanks,
Chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts