BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I hadn’t seen that. Genius!

However, I’d much prefer to recondition what we have than to buy another question mark. The solenoid in question was activating just fine, it was just clogged and the impurity needed to be dissolved. All it took was a little work and an overnight spa treatment.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh, I hear ya. Thats definitely the way to go if you can get them to work again. Any used solenoid should be cleaned as well. This was just in response to saving a bunch of cash you mentioned.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Oh I see. I think that comment was more directed at the fact that I went into the purchase of that vehicle assuming a worst case scenario that everything was totally hosed and I’d wind up having to buy a reconditioned one (but took a gamble that we could fix it). Hooray gambling! lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is a cool project! Both cars look really nice. What's going to be the fate of the E39? Odd it has non-M mirrors

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This is a cool project! Both cars look really nice. What's going to be the fate of the E39? Odd it has non-M mirrors
Don't know yet. The interior is actually SUPER nice, full extended leather, but the rest of the car is a solid 10 footer. Not rusty... just not great. Some things were fixed poorly. The non-M mirror is only on one side, for instance. 🙄 We thought about putting the 71k mile M62 from the 840 into it to turn it into some sort of messed up 540i. Seems like it would be a waste of time, but at least it would be a functional car... vs the alternative which would be stripping it for the sum of its parts.

I dunno haven't decided.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I mean... who needs packing material when you have all the other parts to soften the blow, amirite?! :ROFLMAO:

Box one of two, containing a total of 220 parts. Now it's time to inventory and make sure nothing got smashed and we didn't get shorted! :)

Reactions: TheShafro

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Fantastic project! Looking forward to updates!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Fantastic project! Looking forward to updates!
Thanks! Me too! :)

First box inventoried. Missing one part. One extra of another part.

Love the smell of fresh parts in the evening...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Agree. I love getting new parts in, it's like christmas.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Agree. I love getting new parts in, it's like christmas.

Hanukah and/or Chinese New Year for me! lol

And more and more and MORE....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Inventoried. Time for heart surgery. Let’s do this!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)

Super happy with the undercarriage of this 71k mile 840Ci. Condition is consistent with mileage - very dry, completely stock. Texas and Florida car and it shows. Suspension is rotted and will need a complete go through, but aside from that... what a great foundation for this transplant.

The M62 is shockingly dry, but the transmission pan seal needs to be replaced. We'll probably do a full service on that in the event we decide to use that for some other project.

No 540iT "how do we put a second exhaust pipe in?!" issues here. Looks like BMW NA was thoughtful enough to prep this car for us.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Engine out time lapse! The only thing missing from this video is the Benny Hill music.

Should I add it? lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
Engine out time lapse! The only thing missing from this video is the Benny Hill music.

Should I add it? lol

Be better than that god awful dubstep crap that so many put in theirs lol.

Incredible work! Going to be so awesome seeing the project finished.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It's been a bit quiet lately. I have a long writeup coming up soon, but for now... we shined up the donor.

I'll be honest, this wasn't my first choice of colors, but it has REALLY grown on me.

Reactions: xfr srt8
21 - 36 of 36 Posts