BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 114 Posts
No disrespect intended....

All you new guys seem to think the E39M5 world began this week... there are multiple threads and discussions on MAFs, changing MAFs, Dinan MAFs, the need for recalibrating the DME when maf or maf housing changes.....

No need to review history here- two comments:

The Dinan MAF HOUSING (not the capsule which is the sensor) is purportedly tapered, which will increase velocity...anyone bothered to think about why? Will you copy this or not?

Once you copy it, what software are you planning to compensate for the altered correlation of velocity and mass air flow?

Finally to the comment from the bosch rep....MAF capsules are always 'calibrated' to some degree. Bosch sells them in multiple configurations, including just the capsule or in a tube. You deal with this by programming the DME.

A

Just a quick thought...Does the factory intake system really cause that much restriction? I'm skeptical of gains produced by CAIs and other mods to the intake system anyway, unless as Ard pointed out above, the DME is programmed to compensate accordingly. And even then, is bang for the buck all that great?

And if you do get the intake to breathe more, you should really then address the exhaust and go with headers. I think that's one area where the factory restriction is well documented. And if you're going to go that route, then why not go ahead with a mid-to-low boost FI setup (ala CA Automotive) and a better clutch? To me, that's the best prescription for good, solid HP gains on our Ms. Just my US$.02.

I would agree in that by the time you pay for a complete intake system including Dinan throttle bodies and velocity stacks, as well as headers and new software which may get you close to 400whp, you could have easily paid for the ESS S/C system along with an upgraded clutch.

No disrespect intended....

All you new guys seem to think the E39M5 world began this week... there are multiple threads and discussions on MAFs, changing MAFs, Dinan MAFs, the need for recalibrating the DME when maf or maf housing changes.....

No need to review history here- two comments:

The Dinan MAF HOUSING (not the capsule which is the sensor) is purportedly tapered, which will increase velocity...anyone bothered to think about why? Will you copy this or not?

Once you copy it, what software are you planning to compensate for the altered correlation of velocity and mass air flow?

Finally to the comment from the bosch rep....MAF capsules are always 'calibrated' to some degree. Bosch sells them in multiple configurations, including just the capsule or in a tube. You deal with this by programming the DME.

A
programming is another thing though, that comes with this by nature. so playing the "tuning" card is really unnecessary, and can be EASILY taken care of.

i will check a friends HFM and compare it to mine. but if you are talking about the actual sensor being different, i dont believe that. E36 members have been running the 540i 3.5" maf for who knows how long. dinan massive R&D managed to catch that and did absolutely nothing but take the 540i maf and say you can use it for an E36. which has been confirmed COUNTLESS times by E36 M3 members.

3 Series*::*M3 (E36) 1996-1999*::*Engine Tuning*::*High Flow Air Mass Meter System
^$1100 for a 540i maf, you must be joking me. you have to be a serious dinan sucker to believe all their R&D BS. we're not talking "probably" now either, we are talking facts ard.

so with that laid down, i refuse to believe the actual sensor is not the same. it is more than likely the exact same sensor which is in a 540i housing, but it is alluminum now. like i said in another thread, the only difference with the 97-98 maf and the 99-03 is the plug.

im sure someone in here will understand what im talking about an see if anything i said makes sense, i have not read the other threads so if im wrong anywhere, please feel free to correct me, im just thinking out loud here.

amen man, dinan stuff is just way over priced for what it is. $2400 for two carbon fiber tubes with a filter on the ends? lol, give me a break. cosmos racing sells the same thing for $300. yes, i also did the swap when i had my 36 m3. the sensor works fine in the larger housing. also the difference between the round and square plug is the square plug has the iats integrated, round does not. the sensor itself is slightly redesigned also from the older round plug.

amen man, dinan stuff is just way over priced for what it is. $2400 for two carbon fiber tubes with a filter on the ends? lol, give me a break. cosmos racing sells the same thing for $300. yes, i also did the swap when i had my 36 m3. the sensor works fine in the larger housing. also the difference between the round and square plug is the square plug has the iats integrated, round does not. the sensor itself is slightly redesigned also from the older round plug.
i should have some carbon fiber version done here by mid february. the friend of mine i spoke to got the cosmo racing intakes in and sent them out already to be replicated in Carbon fiber. :hihi:

Nobody can mistake me for a Dinan fan, that's for sure.

I am pretty certain that Dinan re-uses the factory MAF capsule with their housings...so it is worse than you think- 1850 for the housings, and you need to reuse the old or buy new!

So yes, the sensor remains the same.

Since these sensors simply detect air VELOCITY, placing the same sensor in a different cross section of housing changes it's calibration. Given the potential for non-linearity is detected fllow velocity versus mass (volume) flow, it requires testing on a flow bench to calibrate and derive a program for the DME.

I am totally in favor of work in this area...go for it. Search for the stuff that has already been tried/discussed.

A

PS Any fabrication of intake components with material with lower thermal mass is a great idea.

I would agree in that by the time you pay for a complete intake system including Dinan throttle bodies and velocity stacks, as well as headers and new software which may get you close to 400whp, you could have easily paid for the ESS S/C system along with an upgraded clutch.
but why not do the tb's, stacks and headers with the sc? Why stop at 400whp when you can get 500 or more?

Problem with ess (is it out finally?) is passing a smog test (for whose of us who need to).

when my car had the bmw dme update done a couple years ago (the obd2 thing) it tripped an ses light with mafs plausibility codes with stock software and dinan mafs, don't think you'll be able to do it without software to recalibrate for the mafs airflow changes.

Reactions: EM5PWR
fyi powerchip developed custom software for larger MAF housings. So that isn't an issue whatsoever. Someone make these already please? I did the headers its someone elses turn

Just to throw more fuel on the fire, check this out:

<b><font color=red>NEW ITEM!</font></b><br>CFM Aluminum MAF Tube for Zetec Focus - 4-02

This company makes and sells them for 90 bucks in 3 different sizes for the ford focus....

I found this thread as i am actively lookign for workaround for the dinan $1k maf tube for my 540. If anyone has a suggested alternative, please PM me. I amy be contacting these focus guys to see if they can fab me one.

the diameter of the stock hfm is 3.25in, and it looks like the inlets on the intake manifold are the same size. someone correct me if im looking at this the wrong way but what is the point of going bigger hfm tube/elbows, when it bottlenecks back down at the manifold?

Well Would you look at that!. The CFM MAF housing that plking was talking about is almost exactly what we're looking for. Or so it seems to me. Man- I guess that's the cost difference between good ole american ingenuity and foreign car parts prices?

Also on the induction side-does anyone know of any shop local to the St. Louis area that could ream out this extra set of throttle bodies I got for My 2001 M5?? I was looking to make a "Dinan" set of throttle bodies by boring the bodies out a couple of millimeters and getting slightly larger butterflies. I think i can find a shop to do the cylindrical boring of the main part of the body. The trick lies in the throttle body exit to the intake. It curves from the cylindrical part of the body to an oblong exit. So it seems to me that just boring out the cylindrical part of the throttle body will give no increase unless this oblong exit can be enlargened also.

Anybody have any experience with this??

Rich

it's a great idea and he is 100% correct, the 540/740 hfm housing is much bigger. i cant believe i didn't think of this as i have two 540 housings sitting in my closet. they will mate up fine to the dinan intakes, i just need to make some elbows to go to the intake.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.