BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off... thanks to Kennyl on this forum for helping me get into a new M5 and my girlfriend for buying me an iPod 80 GB classic to attach to my new toy!

Initially, I was very disappointed with the upgraded sound in my M5. After reading all the PR about this new system, I realized it was most likely a problem with the iPod or iPod interface. The high's were noticeably clipping, regardless of what I had the Treble or EQ settings in the car set to. You'll know your highs are clipping when the higher pitched parts of the music (female vocals, snares, high-hats, etc), sound tinny, cheap, and painful, creating a very unpleasant listening experience.

I ended up solving this problem by changing the EQ on the iPod to "Treble Low" (or something similar). This menu can be accessed by Settings->Audio->Equalizer on the iPod.

I hope this recommendation will improve the enjoyment of your car. :hihi:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Great first post. Welcome to the board :cheers:

Oh, and the rules of the board stipulate that you must post pics of the new ride immediately or risk being banned ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Perfect tip. Was having the same problem. I'm a new member also and it almost seems impossible to uplaod pics. It can't be my internet connections because bandwidth speed is excellent. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Another issue with the iPod and its EQ settings is it can't always handle the dB level of music with loud notes - bass heavy - regardless of the iPod volume setting. This is an issue in the preamp stage of the iPod and the higher level music is recorded at now days. You'll notice with an EQ setting that enhances the bass, some music will sound distorted in the bass region. To fix this, I've run all my music through a dB fixer - don't remember the program right off hand - that adjusts the level setting embeded in the music. It can be changed up and down multiple times with no ill effects on the music file itself. Now all my music is a bit quieter, but the bass is clean no matter what the EQ setting. The program to adjust this is...
mp3gain

Reactions: Alaris and GotYa!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
good post... Thanks

Reactions: LI-M5

·
Registered
397 Posts
Gustav,

Thanks, I'll try that. I've been trying 5 at a time.

Reactions: LI-M5

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Another issue with the iPod and its EQ settings is it can't always handle the dB level of music with loud notes - bass heavy - regardless of the iPod volume setting. This is an issue in the preamp stage of the iPod and the higher level music is recorded at now days. You'll notice with an EQ setting that enhances the bass, some music will sound distorted in the bass region. To fix this, I've run all my music through a dB fixer - don't remember the program right off hand - that adjusts the level setting embeded in the music. It can be changed up and down multiple times with no ill effects on the music file itself. Now all my music is a bit quieter, but the bass is clean no matter what the EQ setting. The program to adjust this is...
mp3gain

Can you use this program on files that are already uploaded on iTunes or do u need to do it when importing?

·
Registered
856 Posts
You can only do it on files already loaded up, so yes, files in iTunes. It can't modify files downloaded from iTunes store as these are protected by Apple and can't be converted to MP3.

Basically, you open the MP3GAIN program and select the file or folder of files you want it to check. It'll scan through the music and check the level. Once it checks it can/will adjust to whatever new level (there is a default that works well) you select.

It doesn't "compress" the song dB range, it actually lowers it (this is a good thing). For the songs it adjusts - usually most of them - you'll have to turn up the volume more, but the bass will no longer be distorted. It's also nice in that music that was recorded at different levels will now be normalized. Ok, more than y'all asked for and really off topic - sorry.

Reactions: andrewsherman

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You can only do it on files already loaded up, so yes, files in iTunes. It can't modify files downloaded from iTunes store as these are protected by Apple and can't be converted to MP3.
A couple things.

1. iTunes downloads can be easily converted to MP3 using simple techniques. it only costs you the cost of a cd-rom.

2. the entire clipping and bass problems from the iPod pre-amp can be resolved by changing how you connect the iPod to the car.

1. Burning a CD of the songs will convert them to .cda format, standard for all CD players. Then, upload the disc into iTunes as an MP3 and voila! All your files are MP3 and you can use MP3gain to normalize the volume levels for all of your songs. No more loud song, quiet song, loud song. You can configure MP3gain to convert all of your MP3's in your collection at one time. MP3gain can be used for any MP3 file in any collection used by any player at any time.

2. Get a connector that uses the proprietary iPod connector, rather than using the headphone plug. The connector is a straight line-out and does not go through the pre-amp. iPod volume does not affect the sound, nor do equalizer settings. The sound is tremendously cleaner, and there is no clipping or mushy bass using this technique. I have the Monster iCarCharger which keeps the iPod charged, and connects to the bottom port. It includes an audio plug to connect to your aux port. It is the same port that is used by the BMW factory connector. You should notice that the iPod volume does not affect the output on that device as well.

After installing the Reus Audio upgrade, I can clearly tell major differences between plugging into the headphone port and with using the connector. Words cannot express how good the iPod sounds through the connector and through the Reus audio upgrade!!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Great tip and many thanks. I always loved the IPod audio in my car but was so sure anymore since some time. Now it appears that some time is when I uploaded new podcasts and listened to them using the headphone. Then I fiddled with the equalizer settings and ended up in Dance and left it there since I didn't think it would have any effect on the IPod interface cable output to the car. Since then I had too much bass and never new why. Now I set the equalizer to do nothing and my sound is back! Super...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts