BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Sorry if this is not the right place to put this question but I didnt found any place correct for this...
Well my mom has a 96 Z3 with a 1.9 engine that as 140BHP.
Im currently drivnig it and I just think that the car is a "turtle" my dads Audi A4 1.9 TDI(110) is faster hmmm !
Can some one tell me a cheap solution(no turbos) to make it go faster? Car does 220Km/h of max speed but it takes ages to get there... :mad:
And Im ussing Michelin Pilot HX tyres with 225/50 ZR16, can I use something like a Pilot Sport like 225/45 ZR16 ?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Arthur, the Z3 1.9 is not exactly a race car :haha:
Don't delude yourself, light mods without a serious work on the engine won't be sufficient to transform your Z3 in a dragster...
However, you can always gain a few hp with a modified air inlet (a direct or dynamic air intake), a chip to optimize the output of the engine and a complete exhaust line (not only the muffler whose main function is producing a louder noise !).
If you want radical sensations, get the Z3 M coupe or roadster :hihi:

·
2,485 Posts
Dont do anything to it. You'll just wind up messing up a good car. Not every car is fast, and there is a reason.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I agree, the Z3 1.9 is a prefectly good car. W/ the top down and a beautiful sunday afternoon, there's nothing better. I'd keep it the same.

Take a potato and jam it up the exhaust pipe of your dad's Audi, then we'll see who's going places and who isn't. If that'd make you feel better. :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I personaly like the car as you nearly dont hear the engine at every rev...
But it just sad to see a Disel go faster !:mad:
Car has only 18k Kms !! And I will change for the 1st time the engine oil. I think that there will be no changes but maybe now that the car is been driving by my at highways and not in the city trafic by my mom.

Can I just put a chip? Wont it " hurt " the engine?

·
2,485 Posts
Do not be surprised if a Diesel will beat a four-stroke engine in terms of acceleration. The characteristics of a diesel engine is low-rev torque. That is one reason why diesel engines are used in tractor-trailers, because they can pull heavy loads with the levels of torque. So in a light-weight car like the Audi TDI, the torque translates into acceleration, rather than brute pulling force.

The new Chevrolet Durmax Diesel is a very fast truck, but at 95mph, the torque cuts out, and the enigne does not have the horsepower to keep the truck at that speed.

Just put a chip in. I dont know of the specifics for the Z3 1.9, but it wouldnt hurt it. HOWEVER, YOU MUST PUT IN THE HIGHEST OCTANE RATING YOU CAN FIND NO EXCUSES...if you dont then you will mess up the engine. I think a 98 RON would be fine for you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car uses 98 Octane since we boght it, never used 95...
How mutch would a chip cost?
Do you now how mutch will it change the car speed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Arthur, I got to say that bmw probably put the 1.9 liters in these car for the people who just want a sports car look but drive like old ladys. I agree a 1.9 liter is a joke and all people who own them. Try race fuel and a chip. You might beat a volkswagon beetle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts