BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 550 with the sport pkg that is eating up tires like nobodys business. I have had the alignment done twice and it all checks out but the inside of the rears especially are just gonzo. Can anyone suggest tires that have worked for them and worn better ? I know that the camber is the way it is on these and expect tire wear but this is crazy. I have to say that I am running spacers and tire sizes in the rear are 275/35/19 and fronts are 245/35/19. Thanks.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm sure the spacers are giving you fits and causing the top of the wheel to tip in, thus causing extra wear on the inside of the tires. You might consider removing the spacers to see if it fixes the problem. I'm sure the issue is not the tires. You might also make sure you're running the factory recommended tire pressure. After market wheels are always a crap shoot, especially if they weren't made specifically for your car with the recommended offsets.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information, I am running the factory rims so maybe it is the spacers . Do you recommend a tire that has worked for you or someone you know that has a similar vehicle ?

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,401 Posts
I have a 2008 550 with the sport pkg that is eating up tires like nobodys business. I have had the alignment done twice and it all checks out but the inside of the rears especially are just gonzo. Can anyone suggest tires that have worked for them and worn better ? I know that the camber is the way it is on these and expect tire wear but this is crazy. I have to say that I am running spacers and tire sizes in the rear are 275/35/19 and fronts are 245/35/19. Thanks.
What tires are you running? When I was on PS2s I could only get 12,000 miles from the rears, and 18,000 miles from the fronts.

I'm 2x,xxx+ miles and track days on my PSSs. I'm also running -2.0 degrees of camber on the street and -2.7 degrees on the track.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After speaking with some techs I think it may have been the tires and my rear wheels are bent so I'll have to get them trued. The tires are most of the issue so I'll have to see what others are having good luck with. I have heard Hankook makes a good tire but I guess I'll have to review this.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,401 Posts
What tires are you currently running?

Hankook makes a good R-compound track tire, but not a good street tire. If you're talking about the v12s, our cars are too heavy.

Additionally, the v12s are pitiful in the wet and cold -- never mind snow. I ran the v12s when I was waiting for my replacement Michelins to arrive. I needed tires and Michelins were back ordered, and the Hankooks are cheap enough for an experiment. No thank you!

As soon as my Michelins arrived, the Hankooks went up in smoke on the way to the tire shop. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear of your wheel/tire issues. Tires are critical for the 5 series cars, and it is definitely frustrating when your tires are being eaten because you find out your wheels are not true to specs.

Here are my two cents on this subject:

First, and as you mentioned, either get all the wheels checked and trued, or purchase new factory wheels and discontinue using spacers. Second, and specifically as to tires, Michelins are usually at or near the top of everyone's list. I agree that they are probably the best tires for the 5 series (or from my experience, many other luxury cars in that range). However, Continental has the ExtremeContact DWS, which you may want to try (as compared to Michelin's Pilot Sport A/S 3). Less expensive than the Michelin lineup, and you really do get a really good, long lasting tire for your money.

Right now Continental is running a 60 day trial and a 50,000 mile warranty on the ExtremeContact DWS tires. Continental USA Car / Light Truck / SUV -ExtremeContact™ DWS

I've had the ExtremeContact DW tires on my M5 for the past 20,XXX miles, and I could not be happier with the grip, low road noise, and overall feel of these tires. Sure, I am a huge fan of Michelin tires, but I thought I would give Continental a try because my long-time service advisor recommended this in order to save some money. I do not regret the decision, and I had money left over to take the wife out to a fantastic dinner at Mastro's Ocean Club with the savings over the Michelins.

Take care and good luck on finding a tire that fits your needs/solves your issue. Keep us updated as to what you end up with and how things work out.

Best,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts