BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has been getting worse and worse.

Had the oil changed a month and a half ago, it took the car three and a half weeks to go through its first quart. Got the warning message, added a quart and the car was fine. I then began checking more often and noticed the oil level dropping rapidly over the course of two weeks and another quart is gone now.

Last oil change cycle, the car went through 5-6 qts over about 10K miles. I had it changed, they told me that this is normal consumption, I said it seems very high to me, and asked them to document the issue in the cars history.

The car does not smoke on startup, there are no oil drops anywhere and it gets driven 65 miles a day on week days. I have noticed that when entering the highway at accelerating hard that the car is expelling smoke. I don't do this very often. The oil is going somewhere, just not sure where that is. In the meantime, I cannot begin to fathom how much sludge is in the oil pan. I am beginning to wonder if they will find metal shavings in the oil. The car has also felt like it is making less power, it just doesn't have the get up it used to.

I'm dropping it off Monday, I hope the engine is toast and they just replace it at this point. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I had this happen to another car of mine and had to have a semi engine rebuild.

When you get smoke on accleration then most likely the piston rings have worn down and oil is getting by the piston as it moves down the cylinder wall. It then gets burned with the fuel, which produces the smoke you are seeing. If this is what's happening, you will definitely have to add oil between normal oil change intervals.

Feel your pain but sounds like you are under warranty.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, full warranty so anything that is wrong will be covered.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yeah, sounds normal to me as well. Also depends on what weight oil you're using. I burned over twice as much on the newly approved Castrol 5w30 than on the original Castrol 10w60. Since I've switched back to 10w60 I'm only using about a half quart every 2k miles unless I do a large chunk of highway driving. Road trips over 400 miles almost always end up eating a quart of oil or so.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, a quart of oil in 650 miles is acceptable?? Not in my book it isn't. Which is why if they cannot straighten this out the M5 is for sale, hell I might just drive it into a tree and total it. I am quite tired of dealing with constant issues with this car since day one of ownership.

Reactions: UNCIVIL

·
Registered
631 Posts
So, a quart of oil in 650 miles is acceptable?? Not in my book it isn't.
An average of a quart every 1,000 miles is acceptable according to BMW. I've seen higher on strictly highway trips and I've heard the same from others, it seems to be a common trend. Evidently sitting at cruising speed eats up more oil with the S85, though I'm unsure why. My oil consumption went way down going back to the 10w60 though. What oil are you using?

If the car is eating oil in addition to other issues (I haven't seen any of your other threads if you've posted about it) then maybe it is good to get rid of it. Some cars are just money pits. Mine has been pretty good in the year that I've had it, but understandably not all cars are going to be problem free.

BTW, if you want to drive it into a tree I'd ask a mod to delete your post. :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Not to add fuel to the already growing fire here but when I had my rod bearings completed I went from using a quart every 1200 miles to .2L every 7k miles :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Not to add fuel to the already growing fire here but when I had my rod bearings completed I went from using a quart every 1200 miles to .2L every 7k miles :)
Huh, interesting. You only replaced rod bearings or did you do any other work at the same time (like VANOS)? Same weight oil?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Does the S85 not have a PCV valve(s) ? My mk5 GTI had smoke under acceleration and high oil consumption, took it to the dealer and they replaced the valve for a few bucks and fixed the issue

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Do you mean when the whole engine was rebuild as low compression or something other?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
PCV

Does the S85 not have a PCV valve(s) ? My mk5 GTI had smoke under acceleration and high oil consumption, took it to the dealer and they replaced the valve for a few bucks and fixed the issue
Well lets see, off to real oem...

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Huh, interesting. You only replaced rod bearings or did you do any other work at the same time (like VANOS)? Same weight oil?
I changed mine out when I did the engine build, also changed the vanos lines but the builder said that the oil consumption issue is mainly due to the clearance from the factory on the rod bearings. Using the same weight oil also.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Do you mean when the whole engine was rebuild as low compression or something other?
Did not see your question but think I covered it in my response.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts