BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i could do with some help on this, the other day i was driving, when the car lost power, limp mode activated, spluttered and stopped, it felt like it ran out of gas but guage showing quarter tank, put more gas in and managed to get the car home, with a slight hesitation when going over half throttle, next morning put the scanner on and started the car, it ran very very rough then stopped, scanner showing missfires on all cylinders, and all camshaft sensors failed, as i understand there are 4 of these so find it hard to believe they all failed at once, any ideas would be much appreciated, cheers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sounds like vanos? Lots of details missing but I would imagine that if you lost vanos pressure something like this would happen. Oil level? recent oil change? year and mileage? Get yourself a cable and INPA from bimmergeeks so you can get more details.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It really helps to actually post all the actual codes. Often times when one thing fails, the other components in the system then throw their own codes. All of this could simply be due to improper voltage level coming from the alternator, the voltage regulators are known to go bad, and it is a $40 part.

You could have failed throttle actuators that triggered the limp home mode, but that should not have triggered the other issues. This is all speculation, it requires some diagnostics. Having codes and INPA or ISTA will go a long ways to figuring that out.

·
1,743 Posts
Just a guess based on the OP description, but all 4 cams out of position means non working vanos, likely plugged up solenoids due to rod bearing failure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts