BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

once again, i need your help. my '02 M5's maintenance warranty (not new vehicle warranty) is expiring in a couple of weeks. i have the option of extending it and went to the dealer to get a vehicle history report before making a decision. the dealer quickly printed out my report but all i got were Service Codes.

it would be nice to get a cross reference for dealer codes too, but is there a place where i can look up Service Codes?

i know Inspection I was recently done, but if brakes were done recently as well, i may opt against extending the maintenance warranty.

according to the dealer, my next service should be an oil change, then Inspection II, then oil change, then Inspection I, and so on every 15K mile increments or so. if this is the case, there isn't much maintenance to justify the 4year/60K mile extension. if clutch is covered, then i'd get the 6year/100K plan for $1700. the brakes look like they were just redone as well.

any info appreciated!!!!

James and Ruth and Sterling
30K miles

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I don't know where to look up service codes, but I went through a similar thought process with my "new" (to me!) 2002 M5. The car had 22000 miles on it when I picked it up last month.

A CPO inspection means there is at least 50% of the brakes left. My car has two green bars left, meaning I will have a service done soon (I believe it will be Inspection I given the mileage). This will run near $500 alone. The one-year extension cost me $549, so this was a no-brainer for me, as it also covers almost all wear items as well (and gives me the option of extending the maintanence to the full 6 yr/100K mark).

The clutch, as detailed in multiple postings, may or may not be covered whether you have a warranty, a maintanence agreement, or both.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
As the dealer to tell you what the service codes are!

If he refuses, just say "I think I need to find another BMW dealer that is willing to be a bit more helpful". and then find one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, a few of them tried to decipher the service codes 'from memory' and was like 'this is oil service, this is inspection I'.. but there were many more codes i'm curious about. i guess i'll have to go back and ask if brakes were done etc. if i'm at 30K miles now, with Inspection I done at 25K miles, most likely i'll hit Inspection II within 30K more miles or 2 years right? i guess the answer to that determines if i should buy the 4/60K mile maintenance extension (assuming no brakes or clutch will be needed/covered).

I know FAST 5 (Thanks Robert!) once verbally gave me my service history to help me buy, but i forgot most of the details.

James

1 - 4 of 4 Posts