BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting my oil changed for the firs time on my dime as my service ran out last month. They now want to do plugs, coolant and brake fluid. Funny while under service contract they didn't want to do any of it.

The brake flush was done in March by me, as I've never been happy with pedal feel, put in some Motul 660, nothing really changed, I may put on some stainless steel lines when the pads are ready to change out.

I'm 6kmi till my plug change and they told me it's $800 to do the job and that it takes a lot of labor to get all 10 done. After saying "no-thanks" I head over to Parts, plugs are $29.75 each!! :Thumbdown:

Google, fine 10 NGK plugs for $88 shipped. They come in 4 days later, and last weekend the job was completed in my drive way. It took me just under 2 hours would have been less if I didn't have to keep going back into the garage for tools. By far the hardest part is getting the back 2 coil packs off. That also took the most time. They were both stuck on and needed to be persuaded to come off.

The plugs were DONE, I can take picks if anyone cares. Was kind of surprised. The car fired RIGHT up after and idles super smooth. It wants to REV HARD now, feeling like I picked up 40hp! Really the low-mid range is very impressive. It was the best before/after ever on the car for under $100!!

If you are close to a plug change, don't wait, do it now! I think mine will be changed every 25kmi or so now.

·
2,149 Posts
Good stuff! Yup, plug change on this motor is 37K.. I always suggest members to make sure to get them done for performance reasons and engine health.. If tuned and modded, i suggest even lower spark plug change intervals.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I was getting my oil changed for the firs time on my dime as my service ran out last month. They now want to do plugs, coolant and brake fluid. Funny while under service contract they didn't want to do any of it.

The brake flush was done in March by me, as I've never been happy with pedal feel, put in some Motul 660, nothing really changed, I may put on some stainless steel lines when the pads are ready to change out.

I'm 6kmi till my plug change and they told me it's $800 to do the job and that it takes a lot of labor to get all 10 done. After saying "no-thanks" I head over to Parts, plugs are $29.75 each!! :Thumbdown:

Google, fine 10 NGK plugs for $88 shipped. They come in 4 days later, and last weekend the job was completed in my drive way. It took me just under 2 hours would have been less if I didn't have to keep going back into the garage for tools. By far the hardest part is getting the back 2 coil packs off. That also took the most time. They were both stuck on and needed to be persuaded to come off.

The plugs were DONE, I can take picks if anyone cares. Was kind of surprised. The car fired RIGHT up after and idles super smooth. It wants to REV HARD now, feeling like I picked up 40hp! Really the low-mid range is very impressive. It was the best before/after ever on the car for under $100!!

If you are close to a plug change, don't wait, do it now! I think mine will be changed every 25kmi or so now.
I'd talk to the GM of the dealership, because that's some bullshit.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff! Yup, plug change on this motor is 37K.. I always suggest members to make sure to get them done for performance reasons and engine health.. If tuned and modded, i suggest even lower spark plug change intervals.
37kmi is too long I feel 25kmi is right in the sweet spot. Really they are easy to change.

I'd talk to the GM of the dealership, because that's some bullshit.
While under a service contract, they will ONLY do service that shows as being needed by the car. Even having them do the trans and diff was a challenge. They did the whole "lifetime" fluid thing to me, until I showed them the owners manual. They will do things, you just got to be pushy. I did find it funny that as soon as it was my dime, everything needed to be done now.

Next time let me know and we can do in my shop with tunes and beer!

Cheers!
COOL! I'll hit you up next time, I'm good for a while now, planning on doing another oil change in 6-8kmi. :D

Link to the spark plugs...
12 12 0 032 273 | 12120032273 | LKR8AP / 4471 | BMW E60 M5 E63 E64 M6 Conv. Set of 10 Spark Plugs High Power 4471 NGK LKR 8 AP | New-Part.com

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
While under a service contract, they will ONLY do service that shows as being needed by the car. Even having them do the trans and diff was a challenge. They did the whole "lifetime" fluid thing to me, until I showed them the owners manual. They will do things, you just got to be pushy. I did find it funny that as soon as it was my dime, everything needed to be done now.

Ugh I went through two dealers and BMW NA on my plugs and fluids. Local BMW NA guy denied everything so BMW did too and dealer wouldn't touch it since they wouldn't get paid. End result, legal action threatened against BMW NA and low and behold things started moving. Last outcome was we dumped our old x5 for a Range Rover instead of a new x5 because of the whole ordeal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you in the Seattle area?

Cheers!
I live south of Seattle in Lakewood. I am currently in Colorado for the summer but will be heading back home in a few months. I just picked up the '06 M5 about a month ago, coming from a 550i, and I love to get in there and do my own work. I have my own garage to tool around in but it is much nicer to be around other enthusiasts.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just for reference had my plugs changed, oil and filter and rear diff fluid changed for about $700.00 at my Indy. At 27k miles.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I live south of Seattle in Lakewood. I am currently in Colorado for the summer but will be heading back home in a few months. I just picked up the '06 M5 about a month ago, coming from a 550i, and I love to get in there and do my own work. I have my own garage to tool around in but it is much nicer to be around other enthusiasts.

Cool; just let me know. I do all my own and help MarlonF1 out as well.

Cheers!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Next time let me know and we can do in my shop with tunes and beer!

Can I come too?!?!?

Cheers!
I paid $1100 for 10 coil packs and plugs at an indy shop when I hit 120k miles.
That's insane.

OP, I'm glad you didn't get suckered in to all the BS they talk. These cars are really not that difficult to work on when it comes to basic maintenance. There can be some challenging but, part a couple of YouTube videos later and asking questions here and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Do you have a lift? I got just about all the tools, it's the space and lift that I don't have. :jump:

I wish; but I do have 6ton stands that I use all the time. Three car shop separated from house and work bench full width of garage. My Bronco project (idle right now) is taking up one corner but still enough room to do pretty much anything (two car space) I have tools, just not snap-on as if I'm not making money with professional tools I'm not paying professional prices.

Maybe if I start doing enough M service I can afford a lift and new tools;)

You can PM MarlonF1 as I've done multiple services on his car.

Cheers!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish; but I do have 6ton stands that I use all the time. Three car shop separated from house and work bench full width of garage. My Bronco project (idle right now) is taking up one corner but still enough room to do pretty much anything (two car space) I have tools, just not snap-on as if I'm not making money with professional tools I'm not paying professional prices.

Maybe if I start doing enough M service I can afford a lift and new tools;)

You can PM MarlonF1 as I've done multiple services on his car.

Cheers!
Cool! next time I got a project I'll let you know. I'll bring some of my Snap-On tools so you can drool....

:M5launch:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts