BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been slowly gathering all of the documentation of maintenance into a binder and decided I'd like a good way to keep track of where common maintenance items were at. I know carfax will keep track if you get your vehicle serviced at the dealer, but I decided to set something up in Excel. The base template was from:

Free Vehicle Maintenance Log Template for Excel

I updated it to make it more 'M5' specific:

The summary data is read from a second page where I input mileage and service performed. Some things I don't have documentation of at this point. I took the service intervals from BavAuto and the 2001 BMW service maintenance checklist.

This is really just a work in progress. Is there anything that stands out that I should be keeping track of? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

PS - I don't mind sharing this, but I prefer to work out some more of the bugs. If you're interested, just PM your email address.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Looks cool. What is the significance of the red X, the yellow ! I get. If you still have the factory tires on you might have a pro look at them and read the date stamp on them. You could be 10 years overdue and that would be a concern. The rubber does break down 5 years past would not be a concern but you are really pushing it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks cool. What is the significance of the red X, the yellow ! I get. If you still have the factory tires on you might have a pro look at them and read the date stamp on them. You could be 10 years overdue and that would be a concern. The rubber does break down 5 years past would not be a concern but you are really pushing it.
The yellow is warning and the red X means I've gone past a recommended interval. Right now, anything that I don't have documentation for, is flagged as not happening since the car was a born.

Nonetheless, I do need to replace the 10 year old tires. And I'm guessing the batteries in the TPMS sensors are long gone....I should replace those as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
You may have pressure sensors in your tires but I doubt it. It is very rare to have the pressure sensor system RPC. Most M5s use the RDW system which works of the wheel speed sensors. If one tire has less air the diameter will be smaller.

Those are pretty pristine for 16 year old tires. I might be wrong on this but IIRC the date stamp is when they expire not when they were made. I just went thru this with my all seasons that go on from Sept to Nov. The tire guy did not really want to put them on but they looked great and are stored inside 10 months of the year, so I convinced him.
Fortunately I was not driving, but went to get in the car and had a flat tire. I put air in it but could hear the air coming out. Upon inspection there was a big crack through the sidewall. Speculation is it was from the flat tire and the rim pressing hard, but still the rubber should not crack if it was in any shape. I learned my lesson now I will only go 5 years past. LOL
Good luck nice chart.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct. When I treid to initialize the RDW system, I got the message, "TIRE SYSTEM INACTIVE". I assumed they where the valve stem, battery type. Sensors look to be reasonable to replace....I'll try one more time to make sure it's not an issue between the seat and steering wheel.

For the tires, the first two digits represent the week made and the last two are the year. So on mine above, they were made the third week of 2007 and the 2nd week of 2006. I don't know how the manufacture's expiration date. The tires are in good shape, as this vehicle was/is religiously garaged. Just so I can get caught up on maintenance, I might go with the Continental Summers since they are on sale at Tire Rack right now.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
That is good to know I think mine were stamped 7 or 8.
The tire inactive will come if you push the button twice. Mine does not tell me that it is learning but I know it is because if I don't press and hold it I get tire defect warnings after I change tires. I use three sets for the weather up here, winter summer and all season which some times go on twice depending on the spring.
gsfent just posted a good PDF on the RDW system in this thread near the bottom.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/186025-peake-2a-vehicle-speed-input-signal-hardwired-signal.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love the look of your excel sheet and would love a copy of the template to start playing around with. However, I cannot PM you as I do not have the required post numbers (new member here, purchased my M5 just a few weeks ago!)

Can you send a copy to [email protected], please?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the look of your excel sheet and would love a copy of the template to start playing around with. However, I cannot PM you as I do not have the required post numbers (new member here, purchased my M5 just a few weeks ago!)

Can you send a copy to [email protected], please?
I sent via Gmail. Please let me know if you need help with it or have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks for creating and sharing, should be very helpful!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Pretty good start. In addition to what you have, I have a column on my own spreadsheet that I use to note the brand of part/fluid used. That way I know if I used an OE or aftermarket part, what type of oil, brake fluid, etc.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of the Beta Testers identified and error in cell D32 which refers to Spark Plugs, but refers to O2 sensors.....thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for making this effort to document records for our M5's. In case you are still sharing would like to receive a copy as well. Please send to bmwe10cab at gmail - thanks

JP

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know if it's me, the Mac, or both, but for some reason I can still not attach excel documents....Sending via email.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great idea, thanks for sharing. Please send to chuckrbt! at Yahoo dot com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts