BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made up my mind to go the distance with this car and am thinking about doing the bearings, well having them done actually; WHERE have you guys gone and had this work successfully completed (and run for a while)? I will mail the car pretty much anywhere in the western US...

The luck i've had having relatively simple items done locally here leads me to this expanded search.

I want a hands down, stone cold reliable, meticulous and precise mechanic to do this work that i don't have to worry about leaving things off, loose, or incomplete.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Can't comment on your bearing replacement request, however, I hear you about someone doing the job and not leaving things off or loose.

I just purchase my '03 Beast and found a few small items, missing nut on Alt belt tensioner, a few mission fasteners for under belly pan. Need to address these soon.

As I am new here and also plan on having my Beast for a long time, I have read about bearing issues. I just replaced my thermostat (a bit tricky, but a very DIY job if you have skill) due to the engine running cold and after driving in the cooler weather and closely monitoring the coolant and oil temps, I am starting to think about water vapor and fuel dilution as possible factors in premature bearing wear. I have also thought long and hard about running the car hard until the oil temps get up to at least 85 C. More concerned about oil temp than coolant temps. I need to research this a bit more and decide what is the best approach for long bearing life.

Slight off topic questions for you, I notice in your sig you have a Stealth One, I just picked up a used on and will soon install. Where do you have you V1 mounted? Do you have it boxed and hidden in the grille? I live in VA and detectors are illegal, so I need to good hiding place.

What Bilstein's are you running? I thought the application did not show any M5 fitment? How much of a difference did they make?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
+1

Bring the car to AGA where Steve let his bearings do!
Price seems to be very fair,and have heard only good things about them...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I've made up my mind to go the distance with this car and am thinking about doing the bearings, well having them done actually; WHERE have you guys gone and had this work successfully completed (and run for a while)? I will mail the car pretty much anywhere in the western US...

The luck i've had having relatively simple items done locally here leads me to this expanded search.

I want a hands down, stone cold reliable, meticulous and precise mechanic to do this work that i don't have to worry about leaving things off, loose, or incomplete.
Hopefully you mean rod bearing, not main bearings.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My V1 is mounted up by the rear view mirror...powered from a cable running up under the front headliner...very clean. As for hiding it? Man it seems like hiding it would dillute sesitivity? I would think that would be a question for Vallentine. I have heard of people putting them UNDER the headliner and cutting some little windows...The Stealth is a WONDERFUL mod; its a little nerve racking finding that I-bus wire, but other than that really really easy install and programming. Its just about impossible for me to decipher the little lights for radar band, but with the stealth its right up there in 25 point font on the nave computer and dash! Plus you can silence it from the wheel, AND block out alarms under a user progammable speed!

Bilsteins are 540i units, work just fine for my driving style (much better than tired stockers) she is tight and noticably firm wiht the 540 HD's on there...Ran them on every Bimmer i've ever had...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Tortuga,

Thanks for your off topic info and good luck with your bearing job if you go that route.

Please update the tread if you get the work completed and what they find as it may be helpful for all of us that plan on keeping their Beast for a long time.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My V1 is mounted up by the rear view mirror...powered from a cable running up under the front headliner...very clean. As for hiding it? Man it seems like hiding it would dillute sesitivity? I would think that would be a question for Vallentine. I have heard of people putting them UNDER the headliner and cutting some little windows...
I haven't tried it personally, but I understand you can mount the detector inside the panel where the HomeLink sits, no windows are necessary. The radar detection will still work. Laser detection will be worthless, but realistically it pretty much is anyway. If you get a laser warning, 95% of the time all you can do is pull over and wait for your ticket.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Stephen,

All German Auto in Escondito. As RussapM5 eluded to with the thread, they are VERY familiar with our cars. Martin (Owner) has a E39 M5, they have Steve Dinan's S3, #001 for sale in their showroom and took care of my car ABOVE AND BEYOND my expectations. Give me a call if I can answer any questions for you.

Steve

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
As others have mentioned, you will not find another shop who knows these E39 M5s as Martin @ AGA does.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like AGA!

Thanks for the input guys...Just need to convince myself that this is a valid preventative measure that needs to be done! I'll give them a cal to chat.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Thanks for the input guys...Just need to convince myself that this is a valid preventative measure that needs to be done! I'll give them a cal to chat.
Stephen,

I would serioiusly consider having them look at your supersprints if it is still leaking. They are an authorized dealer and have Staff on site that can resolve whatever your problem is. Not to get off topic, but have you looked at the individual donuts between the collectors and header pipes to make sure they are not cracked? It might be worth your time to call SS in Texas, get 8 new donuts and 8 new springs and have them installed regardless when they do an inspection. Parts would be about $170.

FYI......

Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts