BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a general thought really, given the likelihood/possibility of components of the BMW S85 engine eating themselves, I wonder if placing a magnet in the oil pan would help prevent re circulation of filings etc........and therefore not fouling VANOS solenoids etc........A bit old school I know but it was at one point, common practice. Obviously if Rod bearings are down to the copper, a magnet won't help much.
I am getting my RBs changed right now so if there is a chance it could help, now is the time.

What d ya'll think?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Certainly can't hurt as long as the magnet doesn't come off the tip as some cheap ones have.

May not catch the non-ferrous metals, but some is better than none.

How's the car coming Ben?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't want to talk about it! I'm sure if I had a therapist they would suggest I let the pain out but it's too soon Jim! LOL.

Just arguing with the warranty company at the moment and entire garage has gone on hols so nothing at all has happened, for a week. Re engaging on Monday. I will update but thanks for the ongoing help.

Having SMG and rod bearing issues at the same time has made me realise that rather than spending money on bling items, I just want a stock, working M6. I really am missing it, which says a great deal about how this M6 has got under my skin. I am so lucky to own one. That and the 1.9 Z3 loan car I have is something else!!!

Reactions: jimsm6

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi Ben

I hope your issues are resolved soon, there is nothing more irritating than not having access to your car.
My car recently went in for oil leak related issues, turned out to be vanos solenoid, which from their own findings were replaced under warranty.
Question: how and where are you looking to get rod bearings replaced as it is widely becoming a common practice in US but not in UK. I don't think we have such experities .
Regards
Irfan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Irfan

My car is in a great BMW Indy in Bristol, they love M cars! I would have thought any BMW main dealer should be able to replace RB. I have gone to these guys as they look after their customers so well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would not place anything on the oil pan that does not belong in there, or if you want get a magnetic oil drain plug.
Best way to avoid issues is to use correct oil and change often.
I recommend for service vantaam5 in Luton.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts