BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone be interested in donating their car for a 'grudge match' style E34 M5 3.8 vs B10 Bi-Turbo feature in BMWCar magazine?

We're looking for;
A standard (as possible) B1 Bi-Turbo
An owner that doesn't mind performance testing their car - this will involve two or three standing starts and a flat out run
Someone who doesn't mind getting along to Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground
Someone who doesn't mind taking a day off work mid-week

In return you'll be fed and watered throughout the day, have the chance to put your car through its paces at Bruntingthorpe and have the pleasure of seeing your car in print.

A date has yet to be decided, but will most likely be at the earliest convenience of all involved.

Drop me a line at [email protected] if you're interested.

Thanks

Luke

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
you magazines are all the same, grudge match, e34 m5 vs b10 bi-turbo, there is no match, funny only when you people want something you post on here, magazines make enough money to pay someone to take a day off work and pay them for shooting their car and using it at least 2k for the day, now i hope one of the mods come along and sling this stupid thread out of alpina section:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
you magazines are all the same, grudge match, e34 m5 vs b10 bi-turbo, there is no match, funny only when you people want something you post on here, magazines make enough money to pay someone to take a day off work and pay them for shooting their car and using it at least 2k for the day, now i hope one of the mods come along and sling this stupid thread out of alpina section:mad::mad::mad:
Just thought I'd reply to this as I was just checking to see if Luke's had any response from the Alpina owners.

First of all, it's not really a grudge match I suppose, more of a friendly comparison and we feel that there are plenty of readers who would find this feature interesting to read about.

We'd like to think we have a good relationship with the M5 Board on the whole and the E34 M5 owners who joined us for our M5 Tourings group test really seemed to enjoy themselves and had a great day out.

Contrary to your statement, we really can't afford to pay owners to spend the day with us but to be honest, this is the first time anyone's ever brought this up. If people can't take the day off, or can't afford to take the day off or even don't want to then that's fine - usually there's someone who can and we won't try to pressure anyone into doing something they don't want to.

We certainly didn't intend to cause any offence by asking if any B10 owners would like to join us and get their car in the magazine and if any moderators do feel that this post is inappropriate, please feel free to remove it.

Regards
Seb, Assistant Editor, BMW Car magazine

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Just thought I'd reply to this as I was just checking to see if Luke's had any response from the Alpina owners.

First of all, it's not really a grudge match I suppose, more of a friendly comparison and we feel that there are plenty of readers who would find this feature interesting to read about.

We'd like to think we have a good relationship with the M5 Board on the whole and the E34 M5 owners who joined us for our M5 Tourings group test really seemed to enjoy themselves and had a great day out.

Contrary to your statement, we really can't afford to pay owners to spend the day with us but to be honest, this is the first time anyone's ever brought this up. If people can't take the day off, or can't afford to take the day off or even don't want to then that's fine - usually there's someone who can and we won't try to pressure anyone into doing something they don't want to.

We certainly didn't intend to cause any offence by asking if any B10 owners would like to join us and get their car in the magazine and if any moderators do feel that this post is inappropriate, please feel free to remove it.

Regards
Seb, Assistant Editor, BMW Car magazine
you cant afford to pay them, how much do you sell your magazines for?, unity media sells all over western europe, you people take photoshoots of peoples cars and give them a couple of mags free and maybe some photos of the car and then sell those magazines for over £3 each, so whos getting the best deal here( CANT AFFORD TO PAY ANYTHING ) yes right i think unity media needs to look at changing their policies on the people who actually make their magazines, without the cars featured in your mag you would have no sales, so you are touting for buisness in the alpina section of the m5 board.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
M5 Killer, I am failing to pick up what your point is here!!

Surely if poeple feel like you then they simply do not put themselves forward for the comparison?

Supply and demand: if enthusiasts did not volunteer then magazines would have to pay. However, if this were the case then I am certain that the cover price of the magazine would go up to accommodate anyway.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
M5 Killer I was one of those who like Jon took part in the M5 Touring meet at Bruntingthorpe.

I did it, like others because it was going to be a great day out to play with the car, have it photographed and enjoy driving the new E61 M5.

I really enjoyed it it was not about the money it was about having fun with a group of like minded guys many of whom I am friends with.

I have now done a number of articles for magazines both with this car and others and I have to say that BMW Car treated me and the others far better than any other magazine I have every done work with who have just taken photos and not even sent me one copy of the magazine in which the car featured.

Now I am not expecting for the magazine to "pay for my day out" (Besides they could not afford it). But getting copies of the pictures and having the car shown in a good light is excellent and a great deal of fun.

This was an innocent request for help and it is up to members on the board to either take part or not.

The magazine business is very competative and they are always thinking about new ways to give us information. I would have thought that any enthusiast would love to have a few more articles about cars that are in the real world very rare and a great deal of fun.

Just my 5 pence worth.

Simon

PS puppypilgrim I think they may draw the line at air freighting your car from Canada and back again but then again........:haha:

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Simon,

I agree with you 110%. I have to admit I stopped my subscription to BMW Car some years ago when the bias shifted more towards the modern line-up with which I don't have much with.

Nevertheless, I recently bought a copy with an article about the SA E23 745i and really enjoyed it. Such articles can only happen with the coorporation of the respective owners. I for one wouldn't mind at all (I haven't got an B10BT), but I can imagine that owners are a bit worried about the additional wear and ascociated cost of performance testing.

M5Killer,

I think it is a great idea for BMW Car Mag to compare the B10BT and the 3.8. Even though you say that there is no contest, this would only apply to what the Germans call 'langsdynamik'. I don't think that there is that much difference in the 'Querdynamic' department, especially since the HC91 with its EDCIII suspension (provided it is in good health) is the sharper tool.

One other argument is that as far as I know the rear suspension of the B10BT is based on the 535i and as doesn't have the complicated rear suspension of the HC9x,HD9x or HJ91 E34 M5.

Luke,

I really look forward to such an article so concider my copy as ordered.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
thanks for all ganging up on me, i will repay you all some day, going back to what im stating here is from experience with unity media, they sometimes make up their own articles that can get you in to alot of trouble like they did to me, not going to go in to details but lets just say customs investigated me for a year thanks to unity media adding on their two pence which was pure lies and they thought it would be a good story, BTW i will say again the e34 m5 cannot deal with the bt :nono::nono: and has already been proven many times and if im not right it was in a unity media magazine, also i have had all the e34 m5s so i know first hand.

·
Registered
223 Posts
thanks for all ganging up on me, i will repay you all some day, going back to what im stating here is from experience with unity media, they sometimes make up their own articles that can get you in to alot of trouble like they did to me, not going to go in to details but lets just say customs investigated me for a year thanks to unity media adding on their two pence which was pure lies and they thought it would be a good story, BTW i will say again the e34 m5 cannot deal with the bt :nono::nono: and has already been proven many times and if im not right it was in a unity media magazine, also i have had all the e34 m5s so i know first hand.
that´s the thing about the mags :grrrrr:
making money is (obviously ) not the 1st intention but the only one intention for these guys. they give a **** about what they write within the artictles about the owner as long as the sales figures rise.
"umm well ..let´s add this here and that there " and suddenly someone ownes not one alpina but 10 and he has "build this car out of his 10 spare B10 BT cars which have inexplicably no VIN´s anymore".

And... wow :eek:oohhh: what a surprise who´s ringing the doorbell:
My name is Chief Inspector blabla and we supect you to deal with stolen b10 engines.might we´re allowed to see your basement/garage?:dunno::nono:grrrrrrr
i know this from experience so these 2cents are not ment to support either m5killers side nor the mag side but would´nt give car away again.

sory four mey mispelin.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Some strong feelings here.

I must admit that the only magazine I subscribe to is BMW Car and I absolutely love it!

I find it to be unbiased and a great read.

I look forward every month to getting my copy.

I am sure that unity media has to be run just like any other business out there and as such will have budgets to stick to.

I am not ganging up on anyone nor am I particularly sticking up for anyone, I believe that the pleasure I personally get from the magazine and the chance of having my car pictured would be enough payment for me.

.....but that is just my opinion - maybe a set of rear tyres would be good payment :hihihi:

I do hope that you guys (BMW Car) can get the necessary cars for this article, if I had the funds I would have one of each in my garage.

Richie.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Neither am I "ganging up on you" - M5 Killer as for repaying us all .....humm. But like you I have an opinon about this and felt that I would express it on this open forum where all opinons are meant to be welcome.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I think that your experience and that of Berlin Thunder may be a little extreme. I think that if somebody or a magazine write something that is incorrect and libelous as you are both suggested which then causes you futher legal problems then I would take that to court. Then you can both make your point and get them to pay!

I am looking forward to the article and many others like that in other mags.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Roj

Am I correct in thinking that you have experienced bad things with magazins who wanted to feature or have featured your BT or any of your other cars? In that case, I can understand such a strong comment. However, I know Simonal and the other lads and if they say they did it for the fun , then possibly that's the kind of owner Luke and Seb are looking for. Personally, I never had any of my cars featured although requests from Dutch mags have been there.

When all is said and done, I like it that m5board.com supplies cars and knowledge because I know the quality would be way down on both if any other party would do that.

And as for BT comparisons, I couldn't care less. I remember reading on Wasif's BT which alledgedly had 400+ (?) HP or something but all highly hypothetical. Not my thing. No I don't care about dynos either.

Only one thing has disturbed me a few years back on the BMWcar mag cover, and that was a 325 E36 that some Indian guy owned ( I think he was called Kavaljeet or something as his plate was M8 KAV or something) which was decked out into insanity with Alpina colors, Alpina Rims, Alpina badges, but in fact was a std 325 " which Kav and his mates reckon to be very fast' and that the previous owner " could have fitted cams, or a chip, or BOTH" (hoorah!!). Next picture I see the car in an understeered pose leaning over so far to one side I thought it would tip over. Now, some magazines I read on the toilet, some others are on the toilet for different things.

Apart from that single case, I enjoy most of the stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow - it's getting hot in here. Can someone open a window ?

I'd be well up for a mag feature - Luke, if you fancy giving Bruntingthorpe a miss this time and heading over to Switzerland for a weekend, there's a stock BT and a 3.8 M5 ready and waiting for you in here in Zürich. The German Autobahn is right around the corner and more alpine passes than you could shake a stick at just a hour down the road...

That's what I'd call a proving ground !!

You know you want to. Here's a link: http://www.easyjet.com

·
Registered
711 Posts
As some of you might know my Bi-Turbo featured in the BMW Car feature titled "Supercar Slayer" and it was a pretty painless experience even if it did take a while for the studio shots to turn up in the post - that someone ripped off one of the photos to flog mouse mats on ebay is neither here nor there! [Could have sent me one for free though...]

In 'my' article all the magazine did was take pictures and write some words on Alpina ownership, the car and the work and care Alpina put into creating the Bi-Turbo. At no time was it driven so there was very little risk to me.

Over the years I've done my own comparisons between the Bi-Turbo and my mate's 3.8 M5 and enjoyed doing battle at the Ring in the process, so I'll be one of the first to read such an article. There's not much in it by the way - torque vs Revs...

Thing is, to create a back to back impression of both vehicles for this article, the cars will have to be driven pretty hard I guess - standing starts, runs to 100 mph, in gear acceleration and top speed(?) and as a careful owner of a 15 year old car I wouldn't want to put the old girl through it or pick up the tab a few months later should some mechanical fettling be required.

The M5 is probably a bullet proof car - the engine certainly is, but I don't have the same confidence in the Bi-Turbo accepting a similar amount of abuse without needing some 'spend' later. It might be fine but it's not something I want to find out and I guess the magazine wouldn't want to underwrite a Phil Crouch repair bill if it did blow a turbo or crack a manifold not to mention need a new clutch 3 months down the line.

So for me, lending my car for the magazine would be fine in principal except for the risk of potential cost to me which clearly wouldn't be covered.

I've read all the other arguments and one thing is clear, each owner is entitled to his/her own opinion and they either do or don't want to do it - we have to respect that and not dig into the reasons why.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi

Looks like its got a little heated!!

I am more than happy for you to use my car if you wish. Its number 472 of 501 so one of the last 50 Bi Turbo's. Its Black on black, with all correct Alpina parts and is running standard suspension, wheels, engine, box etc

Just give me a shout if you still need a car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Who cares which car is better / faster...! They are both great cars with different characteristics. And thats that.
Owners enjoy....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Very true. Plus I dont think they compete with each other. Youre either a BT kinda guy or you arent and if you are an M5 just wont quite hit the spot.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They are both supremely capable cars designed for different purposes. M cars are optimized for the track while Alpina equivalents are designed for highspeed real world driving (as opposed to the track). Horses for courses.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Got a reply to say they have a car now so doesnt look like my car i needed. Will be intersting to see if its a 'known' car when the article comes out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts