BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys.

i have a question for unlocking the cluster.now dont say DO A SEARCH :hihi:, i did, but i have a problem that i cant find nowhere by searchfeature.

little story..

2 days ago i went to a friend to do a dyno test on his new bench, and the result was 367 hp and 480nm/torck. he says that this numbers are converted already to motor hp, no whp.so im missing 33 pony's and 20 nm/torck on the motor.
the curve on the dyno is nice, no peaks,no hesitations,etc, straith to the top ..but where are my 33 pony's.??

so i did a read out on my gt1, no codes..nothing,i thought on a bad/dieing cps or something.Mafs where replaced last year and have now max 10 000miles on them so in theorie, they must be ok. but i want to check them thru the cluster to be sure.

now... i did my bit off searching and found the cluster/maf tread.did all the instructions and i can open/unlock the cluster thru number 19 etc....but then when i go to test number 4 (i think thats the one i need for checking the incoming air/fuel ratio) and i press the left button ,it wont open it just asks lock/on and iff i press further lock01,lock02,lock03...and further(number is code corresponding with my cluster.when i come to my numbercode and i let the left button loose it stays displayed on lock XX(xx is my codenumber, to be clear:hihi:) .

NOW my question.

what must i do then??? or what am i doing wrong?? because i dont know it anymore. can anybody chime in from here please, and help me out further.my car goes in tommorow for chipping and i want it to go in healthy.

SO iff any body have an idea about the cluster or a remark about the dyno ...go for it:haha::haha:

thank you very mutch in advance.sorry for the long story.:thumbsup:

nerio02/dominic

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
add up the last 5 digits of the vin, thats the code
hi E55AMG2

yes i know the VIN part(code) that is no problem.my code is 16.i go to test 19 and followed the instructions in the tutorial from david ,afterwarts i can open it no problem. for instance test2(cluster lights and max speed/rev thing works after unlocking) but iff i then go to test4 the cluster asks lock/on. i press further left, then it says lockXX and i press up until lock 16 comes up.then its stays on lock16 and nothing else happens. when i press left again i go to lock 17 and further ,so thats not good, and iff i press right , i end the session on the cluster.

so in between the two things i'm missing something :haha:
do you have to do the unlock thing for every testnumber or just 1 time unlocking by test19 and the whole cluster is unlocked??

test number4 is the one i need right??maybe im just doing one testnumber that means nothing:3:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Have a look at the instructions at KinMak: http://www.kinmak.com/?page_id=14 and http://www.ideaphile.com/bmw/540-obc.html

The button to the lower left of the speedometer is the Reset button for the trip odometer, the button to the lower right of the tachometer is the Check control key.

To unlock these tests, go to Test 19, add up the last five digits in your VIN number, producing a number from 0 to 45. With "LOCK: ON" displayed, hit the Reset button again. The display will change to "LOCK: 00". If the VIN sum was 0, press Check. Otherwise, press Reset until your VIN sum is displayed, then press Check. Press Check again until you get back to test 03. You'll know you got it right when you press Reset at this test and get the following displays (or something like them):

E39 Instrument cluster test functions

Test functions
<TABLE id=table10 borderColorDark=#3f617e width="100%" borderColorLight=#000000 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Menu</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Sub menu</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Sample</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Meaning</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 1: Vehicle specific data</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>1.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>12345</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>VIN</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>1.1</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>4812</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Body number</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>6_1.2</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>834762</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Part number of cluster</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>1.3</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>010203</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Coding/Diagnosis/Bus index</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>1.4</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>3495</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Manufacturing data (calender week/year</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>1.5</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>04_600</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Hardware/software number of cluster</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>3_1.6</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>415_06</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Injection status, number of cylinders, engine factor</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 2: Cluster system test</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Activates test for gauge drivers, indicators and LEDs</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 3: SI data</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>3.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>1500</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Litres</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>3.1</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Periodic inspection days (not applicable for US)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 4: Fuel consumption data (current)</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>4.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>0267</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>26.7 litres/1000km</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>4.1</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>0073</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>7.3 litres/hour</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 5: Fuel consumed/distance travelled</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>5.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>0195</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>19.5 litres/100km</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>5.1</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>226</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Momentary distance to go (22km)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 6: Fuel level sensor input in litres</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>6.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>237415</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Fuel level averaged.
LH sensor input = 23.7 litres - RH sensor input = 41.5 litres
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>6.1</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>0652</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Total tank level averaged = 65.2 litres</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>1_6.2</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>0667</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Indicated value and tank phase.
1 = Both sensors OK. 2 = One sensor fault.3 = implausible input
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 7: Temperature and speed</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>7.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>032</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Coolant temperature input 32C (90F)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>7.1</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>245</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Outside temperature input 24.5C (76F)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>7.2</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>5283</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Engine speed 5,283 RPM</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>7.3</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>085</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Vehicle speed 58 km/h (36 mph)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 8: Input values in HEX code</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>8.0-8.3</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>XXX</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Hex code, instrument cluster inputs</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 9: battery voltage</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>9.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>125</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>12.5 Volts</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 10: Country coding</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>10.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>02</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>US 02</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 11: Cluster code</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>11.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>000003</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Cluster code</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 12: Not used</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 13: Gong test</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>13.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>GONG</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Activate gong by pressing button (gong response is delayed)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 14: Fault memory (not used for diagnosis)</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 15 - 18: Not used</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 19: Lock/unlock</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>19.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>L-On L-Off</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Lock/unlock specific test functions</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 20: Average fuel consumption correction factor</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>20.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>XXX9</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Press button when correct 1s position is attained</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>20.1</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>XX5X</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Press button when correct 10s position is attained</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>20.2</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>12XX</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Press button when correct 100s position is attained</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Test 21: Software reset</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>21.0</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>reset</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#ecf2f1>Reset software</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Instrument cluster, self testing
Perform the following steps to access the instrument cluster self test functions:
  1. Remove and insert ignition key (ignition OFF)
  2. Press and hold RIGHT cluster button. “CHECK CONTROL OK” is displayed.
  3. Without releasing button, turn ignition switch to first dent (RADIO position). “TEST-NR. 01″ is displayed.
  4. Press LEFT cluster button for the test sub-menus.
  5. Press RIGHT cluster button to scroll to next test.
Note:
Test 1 and 2 are always unlocked
Test 3-21 are only accessible after unlocking using TEST-NR. 19 lock/unlock function. See Instrument cluster self test, unlocking.
Instrument cluster self test, unlocking
To unlock a specific test:
  3. Without releasing button, turn ignition switch to first dent (RADIO position). “TEST-NR. 01″ is displayed.
  4. Use RIGHT cluster button to scroll to TEST-NR. 19 (lock/unlock)
  5. Press LEFT cluster button once to access TEST-NR. 19 submenu. “LOCK : ON” is displayed
  6. Use LEFT cluster button to scroll to test you wish to unlock.
  7. Press RIGHT cluster button once to unlock desired test. Display returns to TEST-NR. 01.
  8. Scroll to unlocked test using RIGHT cluster button.
  9. Press LEFT cluster button to perform desired test or access that tests submenu.
  10. Repeat unlock sequence for each test required.
  11. Switch ignition OFF to cancel self test mode.
Note: Display shows no visual confirmation of test unlock.
Instrument cluster, software reset
To reset instrument cluster software:
  4. Use RIGHT cluster button to scroll to TEST-NR. 19 (lock/unlock)
  5. Press LEFT cluster button once to access TEST-NR. 19 submenu. “LOCK : ON” is displayed
  6. Use LEFT cluster button to scroll to TEST-NR. 21. “LOCK : 21″ is displayed
  7. Press Right cluster button to unlock TEST-NR. 21. Display returns to TEST-NR. 01.
  8. Use RIGHT cluster button to scroll to TEST-NR. 21.
  9. Use LEFT cluster button to access TEST-NT. 21 sub-menu. “REST ?” is displayed.
  10. Press LEFT cluster button again to perform reset.
  11. Switch ignition OFF to cancel self test mode.

·
Registered
13,012 Posts
Great post. Sounds like the OP has not properly unlocked the OBC. For the OP, other than test 1 and 2, are any of the other tests working?
Not sure if seatbelt needs to be buckled to shut off the light in the check control display, and obvioulsy the tests can all be run with the ignition on.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks rassi, i'm going to try it out .

i tryed and i came to the conclusion that i cant count no more, the reason my cluster dident open was because my code is 13 and not 16... stupid me.

i know my vin out off my head because i work somethimes on ETK and TIS. now i realise that i used the wrong vin all along.. hahaha. idiot that i am.

ow well all worked out now .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts