BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it's been almost a week since i got home from iraq, and i just started up the beast for the first time so that i could roll it out of the garage and change the spark plugs... ok, sorry for all those of you who are freezing your tuchas off, but it's about a sunny and wonderful 60 here in southern arizona.

so using the diy instructions for changing the plugs found here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83841 it was pretty straight forward, 1 hour 40 minutes, probably a good 25 of which i spent trying to get as straight an extension as i could in order to get a good torque measurement of the wrench. you can't accurately measure torque with a knuckle, so i was swapping out my short extension, long extension and knuckle to get as straight as possible on each of the plugs.

below are the plugs, if anyone wants to comment. i'm pretty sure that there is about 47k on them. i don't think that they were swapped out last year when i purchased the car under a cpo.

now it's off to the fuel filter!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
gherardini,

I'm glad you're back safely. I think if those were the originals they look fine. A little soot, no oil that I can see.

Bob

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Welcome home! How does she drive? Can you sense any improvement?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've been driving hoopdy trucks for two months in iraq and my '99 new beetle all week since i've been back, taking her out for a spin afterwards she just felt sooooo different than everything else. i have to get used to her again.

one thing that did concern me is the clutch feels like it's slipping. what is *very* strange about the slipping though is that it seems to not slip in 1st and 2nd, but does in 3rd and 4th. or maybe i just don't feel it slip in 1st and 2nd while i'm putting the hammer down. i'm going to do the fuel filter tomorrow morning.

can't wait for my lighted door sills....

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm not 100% sure since I'm still on my first clutch, but I remember reading that the clutch begins to slip in the higher gears first before impacting the lower gears. It has something to do with the load on the trans in the higher gear pushing the car forward.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'm not 100% sure since I'm still on my first clutch, but I remember reading that the clutch begins to slip in the higher gears first before impacting the lower gears. It has something to do with the load on the trans in the higher gear pushing the car forward.
gherardini,

I think SpiritedDriver is right, you'll also feel it going uphill in a higher gear as well.

Bob

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:wrench: grrrrrrr :crying: :gloomy:

thanks for the heads up. how long do you think before it'll go?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
gherardini,

That's a tough one. It depends on your driving and the road conditions. You have some time especially if you're going to back to the Middle East. It will progressively get worse though so just keep that in mind.

Bob

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, bob. i'm done for a while. i'm going to enjoy my daughter, my gf, my friends and my house for a while. and drive my beast almost every day once i get all her mods installed. but the clutch thing annoys me and something i'll likely address this summer. thanks!

robert

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
no, bob. i'm done for a while. i'm going to enjoy my daughter, my gf, my friends and my house for a while. and drive my beast almost every day once i get all her mods installed. but the clutch thing annoys me and something i'll likely address this summer. thanks!

robert

gherardini,

Good for you. :applause: I've said this before and will continue to say this along with other board members. Thank you for your service. Freedom means a lot to me and it doesn't come cheaply.

Bob

·
Registered
962 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts