BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

My dear brother hit my car while reversing about 3weeks ago. On monday I took my car to BMW to get the drivers door changed and painted.

My car was finally ready on friday, the paintwork was awsome, but the engine did not go as it used to, now I tought that maybe it's due to the cars not being used for 5days, but after 30min of driving the problem was still there.

The problem is: The car is drivable if you drive it with you "pinkie" with your toes so to speak, at 100km/h to overtake another car is impossible it dies. If I press the accelerator as usual it dies and violent "jerking" occur! The idling is a bit rough aswell.

And even worse today I thought that maybe I should try it again if there had been some kind of moisture issue, and it is even worse, it stopped by itself while idling after about 10sec... Now is this the CAM sensor, MAFS or I don't even dare to say the word v a n o s?

Well I called BMW and told them that I'm upset for taking delivery of a car that is not working, and tomorrow morning I have to get it to BMW for a diagnostic test, but what do you guys think could be the case? And what is the price for MAFS?

Just hope to God that it's not a no-brain BMW service guy at the age of 18 that has taken it on a "test drive" and beat the **** out of it! grrrrrrr
'
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
590 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
The problem is: The car is drivable if you drive it with you "pinkie" with your toes so to speak, at 100km/h to overtake another car is impossible it dies. If I press the accelerator as usual it dies and violent "jerking" occur! The idling is a bit rough aswell.

And even worse today I thought that maybe I should try it again if there had been some kind of moisture issue, and it is even worse, it stopped by itself while idling after about 10sec... Now is this the CAM sensor, MAFS or I don't even dare to say the word v a n o s?

Well I called BMW and told them that I'm upset for taking delivery of a car that is not working, and tomorrow morning I have to get it to BMW for a diagnostic test, but what do you guys think could be the case? And what is the price for MAFS?

Just hope to God that it's not a no-brain BMW service guy at the age of 18 that has taken it on a "test drive" and beat the **** out of it! grrrrrrr
'
Thanks in advance
Two main things happen in body shops. First the battery gets disconnected for the repair work or goes dead because they left the door open so long during the repairs and looses all its adaptive memory. Somtimes it takes a road test or two to regain that memory back. Second short hops, meaning start it up move it and shut it off. This could happen ten times in the body shop. Plugs do not like that. It could have foul a plug that was ready to go anyway.

A couple of questions, did the check engine light come on, and when was the last time you put plugs in it?

Remember their are alot things that could have happen and I don't know all the situation but these are a good start.

Keep us posted
Joe

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
Hi guys!

'
Thanks in advance
Based on your description and choices, I would guess MAF. Try unplugging, waiting a few minutes and plug back in. You could also try cleaning, there are some recent threads, not hard to do. Also, try unplugging O2 sensor to see if you can get the car in open loop. Not sure if that will help if MAF, but can't do much harm other than running rich.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hudson said:
Two main things happen in body shops. First the battery gets disconnected for the repair work or goes dead because they left the door open so long during the repairs and looses all its adaptive memory. Somtimes it takes a road test or two to regain that memory back. Second short hops, meaning start it up move it and shut it off. This could happen ten times in the body shop. Plugs do not like that. It could have foul a plug that was ready to go anyway.

A couple of questions, did the check engine light come on, and when was the last time you put plugs in it?

Remember their are alot things that could have happen and I don't know all the situation but these are a good start.

Keep us posted
Joe
In the EU version there is no Check engine or SES light. Well I know this about adaptive mem, but since I have driven the car for a good hour after the bodywork I think it should have gained so much control that it could keep it alive and not stalling while idling...

I must say I don't know, the last insp 2 is 30.000km back, 3oli changes since then, 2by BMW one by Me. I have had the car for about 5months now, and driven about 7000km. Might be a plug or two...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gsfent said:
Based on your description and choices, I would guess MAF. Try unplugging, waiting a few minutes and plug back in. You could also try cleaning, there are some recent threads, not hard to do. Also, try unplugging O2 sensor to see if you can get the car in open loop. Not sure if that will help if MAF, but can't do much harm other than running rich.
Regards,
Jerry
I had them unplugged yesterday, but just for a couple of seconds. Cleaning them now is not an option, because if I'm trying to get this on BMW tab then it's not wise to try and fix anything myself.

Where/What is the O2 sensor? Is this the LAMBDA?

Thanks for your inputs sofar. :typing:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very few replys sofar, and still I think I've seen similar problems here a thousand times, or are you guys who had had similar problems and found out the solution to them just too lazy to reply? zzzzz

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The engine just dies? You don't mean that the revs go up but the car goes nowhere, do you? If that's the case, it might be a burnt clutch from someone taking the car for a ride and abusing it. Otherwise, just wait for the service techs to check the MAFS... just kinda weird considering the timing of it all.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anzir said:
The engine just dies? You don't mean that the revs go up but the car goes nowhere, do you? If that's the case, it might be a burnt clutch from someone taking the car for a ride and abusing it. Otherwise, just wait for the service techs to check the MAFS... just kinda weird considering the timing of it all.
No it's not the clutch, the engine actually shuts off :grrrrr:

But today it was a littlebit better, I started the car with both MAFS plugged off, the car uses some pre set mode so it works, but the engine sounded a bit rough, then I set the MAFS back in action and the engine sounded much better with even idling :happybirt

But I had already had two glasses of wine for dinner at this time so I did not want to go for a spinn, just in case so let's see what happens tomorrow at BMW hmmm

Hopefully: :M5launch: :byee55amg

·
Registered
590 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
In the EU version there is no Check engine or SES light.
I didn't know that. If there is an electronic engine problem how do you know it other then through the seat of your pants?

Please let us know tomorrow what BMW says.

Joe

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think its strange that this was not happening prior to taking the car to the garage.. I had a very similar issue and it was the MAFS.. I hope someone did not "SWAP" your MAFS in the shop.. It happens..:M5eyes:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hudson said:
I didn't know that. If there is an electronic engine problem how do you know it other then through the seat of your pants?

Please let us know tomorrow what BMW says.

Joe
That's what I'm also wondering about! I mean I disconnected both MAFS yesterday and not a single warning light! hmmm

I mean a woman or a man for that sake, might not realize that there is power missing from the engine and therefore driving with a faulty car without realizing it... Really strange!

Well I took it to BMW this morning, and let's see, they'll call me in a couple of hours I think. But when I started it this morning it again almost stalled on me, but as it got warmer it sounded and felt better. To my BMW dealership is about 10mile ride, so the engine did not get warm until the last mile or so, but i hit the throttle just to check, and to my suprise the Beast was alive again! :1: But however I suspect there is some problem since it almost stalled 10min earlier, so I left it there giving a torough explanation to the service guy who luckily has been servicing my car before.

Keeping my fingers crossed :blink:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
atlantisvip said:
I think its strange that this was not happening prior to taking the car to the garage.. I had a very similar issue and it was the MAFS.. I hope someone did not "SWAP" your MAFS in the shop.. It happens..:M5eyes:
There was a dakar yellow M5 outside... Parked as if it owned the place, now I checked this cars owner information yesterday and the car tax was not even payed! But the owner of that car does not work there, and Finland is a very low-crime country. But I would'nt be too surprised either!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They found.........NOTHING! :mad:

He said there where error codes of the MAFS, yes but I had them disconnected and started it... And the engine hade been running a little light in fuel... Gaspump?

Frustrated,,, well he tought that it was working now, because he had driven it to my knowledge, and he recommended me to get a real service time... This was the "quick servvice"...

:confused3

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Beast seems to be back! Magic? I don't know but the BMW DIS said the engine had been running low on air/fuel, but nothing is broken, and it works like a charm now!

Knock on wood!

Maybe a plug got blocked or something....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Try Keep track of when it seems to foul up if it keeps happening.. I have found that my 2000 M has an attitude like me.. It hates daytime, especially hot days..
Night time though is when the beast really comes out.. Anytime I have issues with her, its in the day time.. MAFS seem to mess up more during the day than night for some reason too.. Atleast that was my experience.. I've also had a bad (left bank) exhaust cam sensor for as long as I can remember and it will only cause problems once in a while.. The one thing I've always liked about BMW as opposed to MB is that BMs especially Ms seem to have more soul.. And with every soul comes a distinct attitude..:viking:

my .10

·
Registered
590 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
They found.........NOTHING! :mad:

He said there where error codes of the MAFS, yes but I had them disconnected and started it... And the engine hade been running a little light in fuel... Gaspump?

Frustrated,,, well he tought that it was working now, because he had driven it to my knowledge, and he recommended me to get a real service time... This was the "quick servvice"...

:confused3
I'm not suprised, it probably had the dentist syndrome, your know, your tooth hurts until you sit in the chair and then the pain miraculously goes away. :7: I'd say fill it up with some fresh fuel and take it for a ride again. I have seen this happen a few times, sometimes it takes the idle control system a little while to relearn it's program. Sometimes I would clean the carbon off the thottle plate to help the process relearn quicker. Keep an eye on it for a few day. Hope it all works out.

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts