BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found myself at 6am on Friday morning finishing a bottle of scotch with a mate watching La Haine. :eek:h:

8 hours, 1 hell morning at work, 101 different hangover cures later and I was ready to face driving down to PMW in Chelmsford. :sad3:

Pete (M500PMW) had kindly offered to have a look at my apparent CAT problem as diagnosed by BMW Hexagon and Birds of Uxbridge. I had gone to both of these establishments expecting to pay top dollar, but hoping to get the best advice and diagnosis. The problem was, as previously mentioned on here, a large and increasing loss of power. Both Birds and BMW Hexagon took a week each and persuaded me to change an number of different sensors (O2, CAM shaft) and did the standard overall checks and it ended up being fairly costly for me. Both expressed dislike of my gentle suggestion that MAFs may be the issue, since I had developed that idea from here! Both ended up saying the left CAT appeared to be the issue (Birds had access to Hexagons diagnosis before them). I had completely bought into this diagnosis by the time I met Pete at our great Lunch that Ashok organised.

After arriving at PMW, Pete took 10 minutes to check the temperature of the CATs after a run, and measure the back pressure generated when the car was running. Everything suggested the CATs were fine. :confused:

Oh great, another opinion with logic to back it up to confuse me. At this point I was worried.

He then proceeded to check around and ended up on the MAFs. He cleaned one of mine and fitted a spare one of his for me to try this week. Pete had just gone out of his way to squeeze me in on Friday afternoon and was extremely generous in helping me out. I left on a high and I left hopeful that this may make some kind of difference.

Dark Friday night. Wet and greasy, I decided to take the cross-country root over to Leigh on Sea (were I used to live) before heading back to London and as a result it was a while before I could start to experiment.

WOW ! AMAZING ! INCREADABLE ! FIXED ! :thumbsup:

Ok this may only be temporary, and my MAFs may actually need replacing, but she was the Beast again. MAFs were the problem. I *know* what the problem is/was !

Pete is in danger of me embarrassing him by starting a religion to worship at his feet. :hihihi:

Thanks Pete you were an absolute star.

A brilliant weekend followed.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, sorry I didn't hook up Dave, but it was Friday night and I hadn't really slept since waking up Thursday morning.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Good result mate... MAF's tend to cause alot of problems, but don't come up under the fault codes.. very misleading...

good to hear its back to health.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
stumbo said:
I found myself at 6am on Friday morning finishing a bottle of scotch with a mate watching La Haine. :eek:h:

8 hours, 1 hell morning at work, 101 different hangover cures later and I was ready to face driving down to PMW in Chelmsford. :sad3:

Pete (M500PMW) had kindly offered to have a look at my apparent CAT problem as diagnosed by BMW Hexagon and Birds of Uxbridge. I had gone to both of these establishments expecting to pay top dollar, but hoping to get the best advice and diagnosis. The problem was, as previously mentioned on here, a large and increasing loss of power. Both Birds and BMW Hexagon took a week each and persuaded me to change an number of different sensors (O2, CAM shaft) and did the standard overall checks and it ended up being fairly costly for me. Both expressed dislike of my gentle suggestion that MAFs may be the issue, since I had developed that idea from here! Both ended up saying the left CAT appeared to be the issue (Birds had access to Hexagons diagnosis before them). I had completely bought into this diagnosis by the time I met Pete at our great Lunch that Ashok organised.

After arriving at PMW, Pete took 10 minutes to check the temperature of the CATs after a run, and measure the back pressure generated when the car was running. Everything suggested the CATs were fine. :confused:

Oh great, another opinion with logic to back it up to confuse me. At this point I was worried.

He then proceeded to check around and ended up on the MAFs. He cleaned one of mine and fitted a spare one of his for me to try this week. Pete had just gone out of his way to squeeze me in on Friday afternoon and was extremely generous in helping me out. I left on a high and I left hopeful that this may make some kind of difference.

Dark Friday night. Wet and greasy, I decided to take the cross-country root over to Leigh on Sea (were I used to live) before heading back to London and as a result it was a while before I could start to experiment.

WOW ! AMAZING ! INCREADABLE ! FIXED ! :thumbsup:

Ok this may only be temporary, and my MAFs may actually need replacing, but she was the Beast again. MAFs were the problem. I *know* what the problem is/was !

Pete is in danger of me embarrassing him by starting a religion to worship at his feet. :hihihi:

Thanks Pete you were an absolute star.

A brilliant weekend followed.

Exactly what was the car's symptoms?
Don't know if you read my panic attack entry on engine problem posted during the weekend?
Well that seems to have sorted itself out, but I'm growing ever increasingly interested in cleaning my MAFS!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts