BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My M5 has 26,000 miles, and runs great. However, thinking I might like to try cleaning the MAFS to see if I notice any improvement. Where the heck to I buy the right kind of Torx bit to remove the MAFS? I understand it's different than a standard TORX driver?

Thanks for any tips!

Gavin

·
Registered
65 Posts
I see your in the states so this will be of no use to you, but for anyone in the UK wanting to know, I got mine in a set from Halfrauds.

Ps the only difference is a hole in the end I believe, and Im sure Ive read of someone drilling a normal tork out (or was gonna try)

·
Registered
8 Posts
gavingray said:
Hi,

My M5 has 26,000 miles, and runs great. However, thinking I might like to try cleaning the MAFS to see if I notice any improvement. Where the heck to I buy the right kind of Torx bit to remove the MAFS? I understand it's different than a standard TORX driver?

Thanks for any tips!

Gavin
You can get the security torx bits at any auto store. I.E. AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc. Sears might have them as well.

However, just be careful not to get any cleaning solution on the maf elements.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I bought a set of 5 or 6 (varying sizes) for around $8 at Sears...

If you're cleaning your MAFS, you'll probably need to buy these.

If you're replacing your MAFS, you won't need them as the new MAFS come attached to the tubing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just used vice grips and twisted the head of the screw, mine weren't in that tight and it worked like a charm, took longer then if I had the right tool but saved me a trip since I thought I needed a regular torx which I had

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Look again. The security Torx screws for the MAF's are not your typical ones that you can get the bit at Sears or Home Depot, etc. They have a different number of points as the standard Torx security has 6 points but the ones for the MAFs are 5 point. Good luck getting them. They may only be for sale to authorized OEM's and service agents. I left them in the tubes when cleaning and had great results using ElectrO-WasH PX made by Chemtronics. Make sure to use the PX variety as it is safe for plastic.

:cheers:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
XrayMD,

What's your procedure to clean them in-situ with the tubing? Just take off the tube and spay a bunch of that cleaner in there? Any special advice?

Also, don't know if I *need* to clean them... am I taking a chance at making something that seems OK bad by messing with them?

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Gavin

·
Registered
621 Posts
I bought a security Torx set at my local hardware store and the particular size (T-20 ?)worked just fine for me on my MAF's. There was no play between the fastener and the bit as I used it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
XrayMD said:
Look again. The security Torx screws for the MAF's are not your typical ones that you can get the bit at Sears or Home Depot, etc. They have a different number of points as the standard Torx security has 6 points but the ones for the MAFs are 5 point. Good luck getting them. They may only be for sale to authorized OEM's and service agents. I left them in the tubes when cleaning and had great results using ElectrO-WasH PX made by Chemtronics. Make sure to use the PX variety as it is safe for plastic.

Unless my car has a different type of Torx screw, I bought 5 point Torx security at Sears.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I'll have to check again, but last time I asked and looked I saw only 6-point Torx security (the ones with the hole) and was told that you had to be an OEM or authorized service facility to get the 5-point Torx Security Plus bits.

Interestingly, another board member has a current post about cleaning his MAFs and he said he removed his with a 6-point Torx Security bit! I'm guessing someone swapped his or possibly BMW didn't always use the 5-point (???)...anyone know about this?

As far as cleaning in situ, I just removed the tube section with the MAFs in them and used the ElectroWasH PX with the straw that comes with the can. This allowed me to get the spray directed right where I needed it. I let the MAFs air dry and replaced them. THe ElectroWasH has no residue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I went to Sears today and bought Torx drivers with the hole in the middle. Got home, and they don't fit. They seem to sell 6 point torx drivers at Sears, and my M5 has 5 point... so, wonder if there is such a thing easily available?

Well, I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input!

Gavin

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
5-point Security Plus Torx are not easy to get.

They are only available to people in the "industry". In order to get them you have to sign paperwork that explains why you need them. Then, if the manufacturer decides you are ok, then you can buy them.

"not easy" does NOT equal "impossible".

:biggrin:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hmm... I just looked at my sec torx set and see that they are 6pt.
Perhaps BMW respec’d for 5 point in the later cars. Mine is a 2000 model.

I just did a quick Google for 5pt. sec torx and read some postings from VW Vortex (VW enthusiast’s site). This may shed some light. Also, I have posted a link from a member there for SK Tools 5 pt sec. torx.

This is what one member said:

"just as an extra bit of info:
I have a 2000 Jetta and the bits from sears worked.....but the new MAF from the dealer comes with a different torx screw (one is 5 pt the other is 6 pt). I just used the old screws for the new MAF and walah, no more CEL."

However, a post above this one was from someone with a 2000 VFr who had 5 pts in his. Maybe his MAF's were changed by the dealer. Here is his link for the 5pt. sec torx set from SK Tools.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SK-84231.html

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Apparently these 5pt. ones are called Torx Plus tamper resistant bits.

The link I just posted seems to allow the purchase of them but this website that I'm adding here says that the purchaser must be an "authorized serviceperson for the equipment where TORX Plus® tamper-resistant screws are used."

Perhaps this is old info or they are dishonest (additional $20 processing fee for paperwork). :confused:

http://www.lara.com/torx-plus-tr.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a copy of a reply I submitted to a similar question on another post.

I am a Field Manager for Snap-On Tools. We have just released an 11-piece, 5-point, security torx set (211EFTXRTPY) which includes sizes 8-55 and costs $230. In mid-november you will be able to purchase just the T20 on a socket (TTXR20TPE) or just the bit (TTXR20TPE2). The single socket with the bit will be around $20 and the bit by itself will be $12.20.

·
Registered
252 Posts
or, for a whopping $7.99 ouich , you can order this set:

I trust this set includes the necessary 5-point bit (second row)? :wroom:

75mm long security power bit set includes a 9–pc. star bit set in sizes T8H, T10H, T15H, T20H, T25H, T27H, T30H, T35H and T40H. 6–pc. hex bit in sizes 2, 2¼, and 3–6mm. Also comes with 3–pc. torque bit set (6, 8 and 10mm), 4–pc. spanner set #*40;4, 6, 8 and 10mm), 4–pc. tri–wing set (1–4mm), 3–pc. pozidrive set (N1–N3), #1 and #2 Phillips bits and 6mm slotted bit. All bits constructed of long–lasting, rugged chrome vanadium steel.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
or, for a whopping $7.99 , you can order this set:
Look closely...Those look like the standard 6 point Security Torx bits (which may be what you're looking for!) in the front row, and I'm not sure what the second row is.
It would appear that BMW used to use the 6-point Security bits and changed to the 5-point tamper-proof Security Plus bits (possibly in 2002).

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just double checked my MAF bolts and they are def. 6 point bolts.

I guess I lucked out and got bolts that have readily available wrenches. Either that or they got switched at some point.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You guys thought I was joking or a hack or something else but I have to tell you it worked like a charm, vice grips and voila no fumbling with hard to find tools that seem to lack any other purpose.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts