BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
wanted to see if anyone had any advice concerning the MAFS, heres my story in a nutshell, car had a problem where occasionally when driving full power the car would go into limp mode, had it checked and ordered 2 mafs (that i am guessing were not orignial), it solved the problem but i feel the car is down on power, a buddy of mine has a 2000 m5 (mine is a 2001 if that matters) and when i installed his MAFS the car had full power, he still had his originals on the car,
so does anyone know where i can get a pair of original MAFS, and is this power loss normal if you are not using original MAFS, the MAFS i bought are new but i am not sure if they are original, please help me out, if anyone has an answer on where to buy them or how to calibrate them i would appreciate it, i called BMW and they sell MAFS for 650 each..
Mike

·
Registered
832 Posts
That was a really long sentence, I didn't know when to stop and take a breath.

Firstly, have you done a search on "limp mode"? A few other members have experienced the same issue. It will be worth your while to do one.

If your mafs came in a sealed, static proof bag then they're original, unless they were tampered with which goes onto my next point. You sure as hell don't need to calibrate your mafs and they sure as hell aren't $650 each. You need to do a more thorough inspection of your car rather than just buy parts and hope they will fix your issue.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
How much did you pay for your MAFs, Where did you get them? How long have they been installed now(in miles)?
If they have not been in long enough the fuel trim may not have adapted. If they are not adapted and your friends Mafs are shot in a different way you might get better performance.

Pull one and report the manufacturer and part number.

·
Super Moderator
4,846 Posts
Problem might not be related to MAFS, but the only way to find out is to see which (if any) error codes are recurring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, the problem i had with the limp mode was resolved when i changed the MAFs, they came in a box but were not sealed, and i cant check the part number yet because my car is stored, i am basically looking for a new pair for my car. Does it make sense that i would be down on power without original MAFs? The only place i found in Montreal that sells originals is BMW and they are 650 each as stated earlier!!
Any input on a good website could help
Has anyone ever had this problem?
as stated earlier when i put the ones off my friends 2000 M5 it felt more powerfull then it is now with the ones i bought.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Probably chinese product. I would try one of the links posted above Bimmerzone is a forum sponsor and gives a great discount for us at 320 for the pair.

I say because you say you are going that direction. Normally I would say what I said before then ask you to do some tests. This is not to hard to diagnose so you could just wait until the car is out of storage.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you actually ended up replacing your MAF's with an OEM set and not some kind of chinese product, I would suspect the power loss to be coming from old cps sensors. Does your friends M5 have any type of performance mods?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Just so you know, when I read "original" I think, "original to the car" or it was on the car when purchased new. I believe you are meaning OEM which means, "the same brand/part number as the original."

"Not original" could be the VW part that many have claimed works with our S62 but they also seem to be problematic. Did you buy the VW part to save money?

Hope you get it figured out.

dj

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup they were installed correctly, my biggest concern is it normal that the MAFs installed are not producing full power if they are not OEM replacement ones, and does anyone know a place where they bought some MAFs from that worked like the should
My friends car is stock to answer user S62, all we did was disconnect his MAfs and install them on my car, the tube only, when i installed the part i had purchased the car wasnt as powerfull.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yup they were installed correctly, my biggest concern is it normal that the MAFs installed are not producing full power if they are not OEM replacement ones, and does anyone know a place where they bought some MAFs from that worked like the should
My friends car is stock to answer user S62, all we did was disconnect his MAfs and install them on my car, the tube only, when i installed the part i had purchased the car wasnt as powerfull.
Did your friend try and drive his car with your mafs installed? Check bimmerzone.com for OEM MAF's, they have a pretty good price.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Get a genuine set of MAFs and 4 CPSs, there's no other way around it, best $800 ever spent. Bimmerzone gets my vote.

·
Super Moderator
4,846 Posts
Perhaps. The important part is the one you can see at Bimmerzone et. al.
Take a picture if you want ultimate confirmation.

·
Registered
12,804 Posts
stupid question guys, i changed only the cylinder, could that explain the problem?
Not sure what that means. You mean you changed the MAF and the housing?

As noted above, you can buy OE MAF's from a board sponsor here at a very good price. If you check your MAFs, let us know the Bosch part number. From memory, the OE end in "029" and the VW equilalents end in "032". Some people report no difference, some have problems. Bosch claims they are the same, except the VW MAF's run 4% richer throughout. DME shoudl adapt.

The other thing to check is the dynamic "MAF" test. It will check the entire fuel system output. Low output is 98% of the time bad MAF's. Do a search on unlocking the On Board Computer, go to test 4, option #2, and get readings at WOT at the top of 2nd or 3rd gear. 3rd is better, but you may not have the room. You are looking for mid to high 120's minimum, most see 130 or a little better.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mafs from Bimmerzone and pre + post cat 02s arrived earlier this week. Looking forward to driving the beast this Friday post install :biggrin:

Hopefully the rattle i get at WOT in 3rd & 4th (normally on an inclined road) can be resolved easily, lets see what my mechanic says.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok just bought the actual sensor from Bimmerzone, hopefully it solves the power issues i will keep you all posted

1 - 20 of 31 Posts