BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple of sources for the MAF driver bits when the inevitable occurs on the M5 and you find the need to R&R or clean your MAF sensors.

- http://shop.metalnerd.com/index.cgi?code=3&cat=5

Look at the bottom of this page and you can choose the set (6 point and 5 point) $13.00 or just the 5 point driver $9.00.

- http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=401&osCsid=3c739f327516719e62c5a9773e32bbe9

This is where I purchased my set for $13.00 plus .60 shipping. Excellent communication and was delivered in two days!

So for all my US based comrads there is no excuses for dirty MAF sesnors.

Note; I have seen other posts on this topic but there appeared to be confusion. Thus, since I was sucessful in aquiring these bits here in the US I wanted to share.

:byebye:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Also to add to the resources, for those that would rather purchase locally, Lowe's carries a combination set for security torx for a decent price if you have one close by.

·
10,456 Posts
i ordered the bits from the tdi parts link. Arrived in about a week, both a 5 point and a 6 point. Haven't tried them yet, but nice to add to the tool box.
I have had a hard time finding one of them, i think the 5 point, locally.
Mike

·
Registered
977 Posts
Do you need 5 or 6 point? I have a full set of security bits I got for something like $12 at a random online place, but I don't think it has any 5 point heads. I'd have to double-check. It does have a bunch of 6.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Re: Size needed

Is it the 5-lobe or 6-lobe that is needed? I found them locally but the guy says I need to give him a size (8, 10 etc.) in addition to lobe configuration. Thx.

·
10,456 Posts
that's the problem. some cars have 5 point, some cars have 6 point, some cars have one of each! I guess it's not easy to steal m5 mafs inserts...
mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car a 2003 has all 5 point security screws which are the hard ones to find here in the US. 6 point security bits are easy to find anywhere here and the 5 points are common in Europe as I understand...

The 5 point bit I have says TP25USA on it though I thought these were actually T20 5 point security bits???

Never the less here in the US the 5 point bits are the ones that are hard to get a hold of...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Xcargo said:
Here are a couple of sources for the MAF driver bits when the inevitable occurs on the M5 and you find the need to R&R or clean your MAF sensors.:byebye:
Thank you Xcargo - I ended up ordering from the first source - I hope their shipping isn't $10!

Chalk up another purchase due to a tip from the M5Board.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Xcargo said:
The 5 point bit I have says TP25USA on it though I thought these were actually T20 5 point security bits???
Thanks Xcargo, I'll call my local source with that info.

·
Registered
977 Posts
FYI, my 2002 had the 6 point bit. I've had no signs of bad MAF problems, but I figured I'd clean them anyway, since it's so easy to do.

·
Registered
267 Posts
you guys are way too patient. I figured out I didn't have the right tool...

So I just grabbed the channel locks and unscrewed them that way, easy no fuse, no new tools that take weeks to come in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts