BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having been to the US recently (from Switzerland) and bought my 6 point security Torx bits at Sears (having first checked that my MAF was the 6 point and not the 5 point), I undid the first MAF to take a look. It looked in good condition so went to check the other before starting the cleaning operation. The T20 didn't fit - I then discovered that at least one MAF has been changed over the life of the car since the second MAF I attacked had the 5 point T20... :crying:

Now I have to locate a 5 point as well ... ouich

As a Brit, the first word that comes to mind is "Bugg*r". How on earth does BMW justify changing the bolts on one MAF and not the other!

Sorry, no questions, just sounding off :confused3

Regards,

Gary.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
It's not just BMW. A tidbit of info from the book "All Corvettes are Red", a book about the making of the C5 Corvette. General Motors only had FIVE parts in common amoung all their different car lines and models. I don't recall what they were, some were decals. You would think for efficiency and economical reasons a manufacturer would share more parts amoung products, but :confused2

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Wow, that would annoy me to no end. Working on older cars I expect to come across things like that, but not on the MAFS on an E39. Time to buy the 5 point...
It's funny Bill, as GM wasnt the best at that for years, but now many people share parts across many models. Makes so much more sense than having all kinds of unique parts. Just imagine stocking a warehouse full of water pumps for 50 different models? :eek:
:cheers:

·
Registered
101 Posts
grp said:
Having been to the US recently (from Switzerland) and bought my 6 point security Torx bits at Sears (having first checked that my MAF was the 6 point and not the 5 point), I undid the first MAF to take a look. It looked in good condition so went to check the other before starting the cleaning operation. The T20 didn't fit - I then discovered that at least one MAF has been changed over the life of the car since the second MAF I attacked had the 5 point T20... :crying:

As a Brit, the first word that comes to mind is "Bugg*r". How on earth does BMW justify changing the bolts on one MAF and not the other!

Regards,

Gary.
LOL the exact same thing happened to me... still have not been able to find a 5 point torx anywhere!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a friend who is a mechanic and he gets parts from Snap-On, seeing if he an get me a 5 point security torx, should be here soon. If I get it, I'll let you guys know and maybe he can get a few of them...

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Thats strange!

I have a full set of 5 star Torx bits which i bought from Lincoln, UK! The problem i have right now is that the dealer replaced my MAF's and now they are 6 star bits!!!! I cant find those anywhere!!!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
grp said:

Regards,

Gary.

My car is the same, the right hand side is 5-point the left 6-point...
ouich

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see from the thread that I'm not the only one

I can't believe they have done this during the manufacturing process (i.e. factory build) though. It just seems like at some point in its life, the car has gone in for a problem, they've replaced the MAF, and sent it back. What I can't understand is why they replaced the 2 screws for the MAF (the other 2 screws should have been fine!) and furthermore, why they didn't change all 4 screws (left/right) if there was a technical guide telling them to change from 6 point to 5 point screws (or vice versa).

Go figure ...

If anyone knows where I buy (online) a T20 5 point Torx security bit with a 1/4" or 1/2" hole for my socket set, please let me know :M5thumbs:It might be useful for others too apparently ...

bayerischemotor said:
My car is the same, the right hand side is 5-point the left 6-point...
ouich

·
Registered
267 Posts
Honestly guys they come off easy with vise grips, takes a tad longer but it is much shorter than a trip to the store.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
DrewT,

Fair point - especially since in my case, the store is on a different continent ;)

I hadn't considered this since I didn't want to spoil the top of the bolt but if I had a couple of 6 points standing by ... :)

Regards,

Gary.

DrewT said:
Honestly guys they come off easy with vise grips, takes a tad longer but it is much shorter than a trip to the store.

·
Registered
931 Posts
You don't have to pull the sensor that way! Just lossen the hose clamps, twist the cable locking ring to detach the cable, and take out the whole housing. You have access to the elemint and can flush with Simple Green, ElectroWash, and alcohol. Less risk of damage, etc... Then reinstal. No problem :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Try "Micro Center" for the 6 point security bits. I picked up a complete set with Spanners, Hex Tamper Proof, Clutch, Spline, Tripley and Tamper Proof Tee*Star for about $20.00. Try their online site, otherwise I could do a Group Buy if enough people are interested. as for the 5 point Torx, they are not included in this set.

Eric

·
Registered
962 Posts
I agree with Mr Bock.

Pete showed me how to clean mine without removing them from the ducting. Just remove the ducting and spray from the mesh end.

Lots and careful aiming did the job.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
mr_bock said:
You don't have to pull the sensor that way! Just lossen the hose clamps, twist the cable locking ring to detach the cable, and take out the whole housing. You have access to the elemint and can flush with Simple Green, ElectroWash, and alcohol. Less risk of damage, etc... Then reinstal. No problem :)
I like you idea. Less risk work for me. Thanks :M5thumbs:

Mark

·
Registered
204 Posts
I tried a set of pliers, kept slipping, you guys who have used vice grips, how did you tighten it back up?

Can I get new 6 point screws at the dealer? If so, is there a part number?

Thanks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
ttboyvanc said:
I tried a set of pliers, kept slipping, you guys who have used vice grips, how did you tighten it back up?
the screw heads are a soft metal and eventually roughen up and vice grips then get a hold. To replace hand tighten and then use grips for last few turns.

obvious tip - remove MAFS and then remove screws :biggrin: i tried to remove them in-situ and it was impossible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

I got a full set of torx security heads from Maplin for very reasonable money.

Cheers

Travis

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
How can you spray the sensor from the mesh end if the sensor is pointing perpindicular to it? I tried it and found it very difficult to clean the sensors inside the stick housing!

Almost impossible actually

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts