BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both cars side by side at the dealership. My M3 was a 2003 SMG with all options but lumbar. Dealer gave me enough to pay it off with my credit union and put $500 towards the M5, so I was happy. They'll probably make $3k or more when they resell it, since I got it for a really good deal last year and they got it for a really good deal from me considering the options and condition and low mileage (26.2k for an 10/02 build)

This is the same car I was asking for opinions on the past 2 weeks. I decided to go for it. Dealer came down to 47,000 because of the wheels. Given the average wholesale of this car was told to me to be around 44,000, and this car is CPO'd, I think it was a good price.

Car has all options, LMB extended leather and a clearbra.

Car needs a few items worked on: DIS (lots of missing pixels), M Audio subwoofers (1 or both are blown), appears that a light is out in the lighted shifter. Probably could use a full brake job, looks like the fronts definately. The outter casings of calipers are rusted, but nothing else that I could see is rusted. Seems odd to me. The car stops fine, but does squeel up front.

I should be able to get all of thise done under my factory warranty, should I Not? I've still got 4 1/2 mo and 7k miles.

Couple questions I'm sure have been answered, but hoping someone can hit them for me quickly

1) Clutch Stop - is there one that helps reduce the need for the full travel? I've never owned a manual car (aside from my SMG, but no clutch). Last time I drove one was almost 10 years ago, so it's like learning new.
2) CDV - does the M5 have one? Should I remove it? What exactly will it do again by removin git?
3) Short Shift Kit - Since I'm learning to drive stick new again, would it be good or bad to get an SSK right away or should I wait? What's the most popular one for the M5's?

Welp, that does it for now. I'm very excited to increase my skills so I can start seeing what the car can do. For now, all I can say is "woah torque". The most frequent comment I'd read on M3 vs M5 threads was that the M5 has torque in every gear and man does it. Even at 80mph on the highway, just push the pedal down and it moves. So nice.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Congrats. great upgrade/great color combo.:M5launch: Everything you mentioned should be covered under the original factory warranty. As far as CDV the M5 does not have a CDV.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Very nice - congrats! :cheers:

The 'problems' on the car all sound very minor.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Congrats... :nono:

I'm not really flicking you off. I just wanted to use that smilie for the heck of it.

What year and mileage? I think euro front corners will make a huge difference.

Also, I've been wondering about this lately; why are the headlights on the M3 different (older design) than the regular 3 series?

Oh, I don't know the answer to any of your questions - sorry.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a_ok2me said:
Congrats... :nono:

I'm not really flicking you off. I just wanted to use that smilie for the heck of it.

What year and mileage? I think euro front corners will make a huge difference.

Also, I've been wondering about this lately; why are the headlights on the M3 different (older design) than the regular 3 series?

Oh, I don't know the answer to any of your questions - sorry.
I have to look into the euro corners, but I plan to get them at some point.

The E46 M3 headlights are the same as the pre facelifted 3 series lights. The curvey lights came out a few years back when they face lifted the 3 series as a freshening. THey never face lifted the M3, and thank god they didn't (IMO). The face lift is yuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts