BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both cars side by side at the dealership. My M3 was a 2003 SMG with all options but lumbar. Dealer gave me enough to pay it off with my credit union and put $500 towards the M5, so I was happy. They'll probably make $3k or more when they resell it, since I got it for a really good deal last year and they got it for a really good deal from me considering the options and condition and low mileage (26.2k for an 10/02 build)

This is the same car I was asking for opinions on the past 2 weeks. I decided to go for it. Dealer came down to 47,000 because of the wheels. Given the average wholesale of this car was told to me to be around 44,000, and this car is CPO'd, I think it was a good price.

Car has all options, LMB extended leather and a clearbra.

Car needs a few items worked on: DIS (lots of missing pixels), M Audio subwoofers (1 or both are blown), appears that a light is out in the lighted shifter. Probably could use a full brake job, looks like the fronts definately. The outter casings of calipers are rusted, but nothing else that I could see is rusted. Seems odd to me. The car stops fine, but does squeel up front.

I should be able to get all of thise done under my factory warranty, should I Not? I've still got 4 1/2 mo and 7k miles.

Couple questions I'm sure have been answered, but hoping someone can hit them for me quickly

1) Clutch Stop - is there one that helps reduce the need for the full travel? I've never owned a manual car (aside from my SMG, but no clutch). Last time I drove one was almost 10 years ago, so it's like learning new.
2) CDV - does the M5 have one? Should I remove it? What exactly will it do again by removin git?
3) Short Shift Kit - Since I'm learning to drive stick new again, would it be good or bad to get an SSK right away or should I wait? What's the most popular one for the M5's?

Welp, that does it for now. I'm very excited to increase my skills so I can start seeing what the car can do. For now, all I can say is "woah torque". The most frequent comment I'd read on M3 vs M5 threads was that the M5 has torque in every gear and man does it. Even at 80mph on the highway, just push the pedal down and it moves. So nice.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Congrats. great upgrade/great color combo.:M5launch: Everything you mentioned should be covered under the original factory warranty. As far as CDV the M5 does not have a CDV.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Very nice - congrats! :cheers:

The 'problems' on the car all sound very minor.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Congrats... :nono:

I'm not really flicking you off. I just wanted to use that smilie for the heck of it.

What year and mileage? I think euro front corners will make a huge difference.

Also, I've been wondering about this lately; why are the headlights on the M3 different (older design) than the regular 3 series?

Oh, I don't know the answer to any of your questions - sorry.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a_ok2me said:
Congrats... :nono:

I'm not really flicking you off. I just wanted to use that smilie for the heck of it.

What year and mileage? I think euro front corners will make a huge difference.

Also, I've been wondering about this lately; why are the headlights on the M3 different (older design) than the regular 3 series?

Oh, I don't know the answer to any of your questions - sorry.
I have to look into the euro corners, but I plan to get them at some point.

The E46 M3 headlights are the same as the pre facelifted 3 series lights. The curvey lights came out a few years back when they face lifted the 3 series as a freshening. THey never face lifted the M3, and thank god they didn't (IMO). The face lift is yuck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why did you trade it? Is it for the more saloon feel of an M5 against the M3, more space etc.? I have to be fair ... I've never driven an M5 because I don't know anyone with one and I'm not old enough to test-drive a car around here.

I've always loved my M3 (actually my girlfriend's since she could choose a car for her 20th birthday and I 'slightly suggested' an M3 would be nice :)), but in a couple of years I might be interested in an M5. Can you evaluate the fun you get from both cars ( this probably has been said a hundred times but I'm rather new here)

·
Registered
623 Posts
HDClown said:
Both cars side by side at the dealership. My M3 was a 2003 SMG with all options but lumbar. Dealer gave me enough to pay it off with my credit union and put $500 towards the M5, so I was happy. They'll probably make $3k or more when they resell it, since I got it for a really good deal last year and they got it for a really good deal from me considering the options and condition and low mileage (26.2k for an 10/02 build)

This is the same car I was asking for opinions on the past 2 weeks. I decided to go for it. Dealer came down to 47,000 because of the wheels. Given the average wholesale of this car was told to me to be around 44,000, and this car is CPO'd, I think it was a good price.

Car has all options, LMB extended leather and a clearbra.

Car needs a few items worked on: DIS (lots of missing pixels), M Audio subwoofers (1 or both are blown), appears that a light is out in the lighted shifter. Probably could use a full brake job, looks like the fronts definately. The outter casings of calipers are rusted, but nothing else that I could see is rusted. Seems odd to me. The car stops fine, but does squeel up front.

I should be able to get all of thise done under my factory warranty, should I Not? I've still got 4 1/2 mo and 7k miles.

Couple questions I'm sure have been answered, but hoping someone can hit them for me quickly

1) Clutch Stop - is there one that helps reduce the need for the full travel? I've never owned a manual car (aside from my SMG, but no clutch). Last time I drove one was almost 10 years ago, so it's like learning new.
2) CDV - does the M5 have one? Should I remove it? What exactly will it do again by removin git?
3) Short Shift Kit - Since I'm learning to drive stick new again, would it be good or bad to get an SSK right away or should I wait? What's the most popular one for the M5's?

Welp, that does it for now. I'm very excited to increase my skills so I can start seeing what the car can do. For now, all I can say is "woah torque". The most frequent comment I'd read on M3 vs M5 threads was that the M5 has torque in every gear and man does it. Even at 80mph on the highway, just push the pedal down and it moves. So nice.
Congrats. Any reason why you changed your M3 to M5? One thing have to mention – change yellow indicators to white ones, looks much better :haha:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why I traded in the M3 for an M5. Well, first off, my wife would absolutely kill me if I spent ALL of our disposable income to keep both cars. I wish we made a we bit more money so I could have done so, because my M3 was in sweet condition and the SMG is nice for when you want to be lazy, but a las, not that wealthy.

But, the real reason a few key reasons
-Wanted more torque. M3 has great HP, but you have to drive it like a VTEC to get the max torque, and I still think it's lacking, given the HP rating
-Wanted something a little less go-kart like. M3 was my daily driver. It was a good daily driver, but sometimes I just wanted something that cruised a little better around the local rounds.
-I had looked at M5's when I got my M3, but could never find what I want (which was an LMB/LMB model w/low miles or CPO and fold down seats). So I ended up finding the near exact M3 I wanted and got a really good deal on it. I just had to fly 1200 miles and drive back 1200 miles to get it. THe M5 only took 3 hours driving each way to get (PHEW!)
-Wife and I had 2 coupes. We have no kids, but probably will in a few years. Having at least 1 sedan will be nice.
-Just having a sedan in general is nice. I rarely EVER have back seat passengers, but knowing that I can w/o having to deal with getting in/out of a coupe is a nice through.

I still lusted after an M5 only months after I got my M3, for a lot of reasons people mention when asked "M3 vs M5". The power, more exclusiveity, having one of the worlds best power sedans, etc. Hopefully the M5 will be what I've been looking for and I'll stay in the car for while.

·
Registered
623 Posts
HDClown said:
Why I traded in the M3 for an M5. Well, first off, my wife would absolutely kill me if I spent ALL of our disposable income to keep both cars. I wish we made a we bit more money so I could have done so, because my M3 was in sweet condition and the SMG is nice for when you want to be lazy, but a las, not that wealthy.

But, the real reason a few key reasons
-Wanted more torque. M3 has great HP, but you have to drive it like a VTEC to get the max torque, and I still think it's lacking, given the HP rating
-Wanted something a little less go-kart like. M3 was my daily driver. It was a good daily driver, but sometimes I just wanted something that cruised a little better around the local rounds.
-I had looked at M5's when I got my M3, but could never find what I want (which was an LMB/LMB model w/low miles or CPO and fold down seats). So I ended up finding the near exact M3 I wanted and got a really good deal on it. I just had to fly 1200 miles and drive back 1200 miles to get it. THe M5 only took 3 hours driving each way to get (PHEW!)
-Wife and I had 2 coupes. We have no kids, but probably will in a few years. Having at least 1 sedan will be nice.
-Just having a sedan in general is nice. I rarely EVER have back seat passengers, but knowing that I can w/o having to deal with getting in/out of a coupe is a nice through.

I still lusted after an M5 only months after I got my M3, for a lot of reasons people mention when asked "M3 vs M5". The power, more exclusiveity, having one of the worlds best power sedans, etc. Hopefully the M5 will be what I've been looking for and I'll stay in the car for while.[/QUOT

Cool! Keep informed is M5 up to your expectations because it’s quite different from driving M3 as you already have noticed. But M3 looks sexier and you M3 really looked as it was cared and minded very much. New owner of your beast will be happy. Take care and enjoy every minute of your new BEAST. :cheers:

·
Registered
992 Posts
You will love your M5 - I tease the M3's on the road all the time...they can't keep up!

To answer some of your questions:

1. I don't think a clutch stop will work as the M5 requires the clutch to be depressed to the floor to start the car. If you do get a clutch stop, make sure that you can start the car! :thumbsup:

2. The M5 does not have the CDV, so no worries there!

3. Don't have an SSK, but if you do a search here, there is a lot of discussion about them and brands!

Enjoy - you have a great looking ride!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
HDClown said:
Congrats on the new car!

1. Clutch stop. - don´t know

2. CDV - M5 does not have a CDV. Only S62 with CDV is Z8. The CDV slows down the movement of the clutch mechanism such that it even if you take your foot off the depressed clutch pedal rapidly, the clutch will engage slowly. This makes gear-shifting slow.

3. SSK - I´d suggest to learn to master the standard gearshifter first, then decide if you want the shorter and harder travel of the SSK.

David

·
Registered
93 Posts
HD,

Great looking car, sounds like a great purchase. I wish I could have checked it out this weekend. Keep me updated on those wheels.

·
Registered
243 Posts
clutch stop info - I did the same and it works great. - You'll love it. It's one of the best enjoyment-per-buck mod. Here is all you need to know about it:
http://www.540i6.com/clutchstop.html

the car will not start with the clutch stop but there is a very easy and cheap ($1) fix for that

·
Registered
837 Posts
Congrats on your trade, I think you will be happy with your new machine, excellent color by the way, wish I had waited for LMB, Josh

·
Registered
543 Posts
I love my short shift kit. I got used to it, drove a friends M5 and I don't see how I could ever drive around everyday with such a sloppy shifter.

btw, I got a good deal on a used UUC shifter.

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
OS said:
clutch stop info - I did the same and it works great. - You'll love it. It's one of the best enjoyment-per-buck mod. Here is all you need to know about it:
http://www.540i6.com/clutchstop.html

the car will not start with the clutch stop but there is a very easy and cheap ($1) fix for that
OK, I'll bite, what's the fix??? lovelove
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
gsfent said:
OK, I'll bite, what's the fix??? lovelove
Regards,
Jerry
It's in the link. Suggestion is to put some self adhesive felt pads on the back of the clutch where the switch engages. Basically build up that area so it extends far enough to hit the switch while still making use of the clutch stop to it's fullest.

I've seen many people say they cut off 1/2" of the clutch stop bolt and if they press hard enough can engage the switch, but why loose the 1/2" Tacking something onto the back of the pedal sounds like the way to go.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts