BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I picked up my first M car today. And all I can say is wow. I have alot to learn...like what the hell to do with iDrive. I have an X5 and it was before the days of iDrive. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Wow. that IS stunning man ! Beautiful !

I hated iDrive but now I like it a lot. Where in my Lexus, I couldn't use the touch screen without taking my eyes completely off the road, once you
get used to iDrive, it will make perfect sense what the BMW engineers were trying to do.
I can program destinations, adjust music etc safely now on the fly.. It's no panacea but like SMG, once you learn it, things click.

Reactions: WallyM5

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
congrats,

no loose the standard BMW floormats, and get the BMW M5 logo floormats ! You can purchase it at the dealer, and its a shame they don't come standard!

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Congrats on the buy. Year/options?

Make sure you read the owners manual front to back. This is not an average car someone can jump into and drive, there are a few things you need to know - all of which is I'm the manual.

- keep a quart of castrol 10w60 in the trunk, always. check the oil by pressing "bc" until you get to the oil gauge, then hold down "bc" until the time clock shows. the car must be on a flat surface and engine must be at normal running temp (around 200degrees f). the car will notify you when to put oil in, usually always when you turn it off, it will say/show "+1 qt" which means add a quart. only add oil when then car asks or else you will overfill the motor and possibly cause damage. the oil meter/gauge shows both on the dash and iDrive. its a verticle rectangle shape with two lines, one at top & one at bottom. when the gauge is full, the meter will be solid at the top line - meter will never go over that line unless it is overfilled. that can only happen if you add oil before it asks.

- when the car asks for oil you have enough in the engine to make it to the dealer and pickup a quart - or drive off to a safe location. I always add oil ASAP. best way (cheapest also) is to get a case of castrol from turnermotorsport.com, keep in garage, and keep 1 bottle in the trunk.

- it will take some time to get used to SMG and operate it smoothly. there is a SMG reset procedure you can do to get smoother shifts. the reset tells the computer to check and adjust accordingly to the current ware on the clutch. should always reset when you put new wheels/tires on. I usually reset it every 1k-2k miles - you can do it however often you'd like and feel it's necessary. The procedure can be found in the manual or doing a search for "SMG reset procedure". You basically drive to a speed of 45-60 around there and put tranny into N, pull both paddles for three seconds, let go, put back into gear.

There is defiantly a learning curve with this car.. It is a drivers car. Once you get acquainted with it, all is good. Search the forums with any questions, and feel free to post with questions you can't find already answered.

Congrats and welcome to MBoard.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Big Congrats and welcome to the family. I know we traded posts as I just picked up mine and ours look very similar. (Looks like you have upgraded sound as well- very nice). Did you end up pulling the trigger on the one with just over 50K miles? Get it at the price you wanted?

Again- welcome!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on the buy. Year/options?

Make sure you read the owners manual front to back. This is not an average car someone can jump into and drive, there are a few things you need to know - all of which is I'm the manual.

- keep a quart of castrol 10w60 in the trunk, always. check the oil by pressing "bc" until you get to the oil gauge, then hold down "bc" until the time clock shows. the car must be on a flat surface and engine must be at normal running temp (around 200degrees f). the car will notify you when to put oil in, usually always when you turn it off, it will say/show "+1 qt" which means add a quart. only add oil when then car asks or else you will overfill the motor and possibly cause damage. the oil meter/gauge shows both on the dash and iDrive. its a verticle rectangle shape with two lines, one at top & one at bottom. when the gauge is full, the meter will be solid at the top line - meter will never go over that line unless it is overfilled. that can only happen if you add oil before it asks.

- when the car asks for oil you have enough in the engine to make it to the dealer and pickup a quart - or drive off to a safe location. I always add oil ASAP. best way (cheapest also) is to get a case of castrol from turnermotorsport.com, keep in garage, and keep 1 bottle in the trunk.

- it will take some time to get used to SMG and operate it smoothly. there is a SMG reset procedure you can do to get smoother shifts. the reset tells the computer to check and adjust accordingly to the current ware on the clutch. should always reset when you put new wheels/tires on. I usually reset it every 1k-2k miles - you can do it however often you'd like and feel it's necessary. The procedure can be found in the manual or doing a search for "SMG reset procedure". You basically drive to a speed of 45-60 around there and put tranny into N, pull both paddles for three seconds, let go, put back into gear.

There is defiantly a learning curve with this car.. It is a drivers car. Once you get acquainted with it, all is good. Search the forums with any questions, and feel free to post with questions you can't find already answered.

Congrats and welcome to MBoard.
Thanks alot, I was curious on the oil indicator but now it makes perfect sense. I am used to carrying oil with me as my X5 had the M54 motor and that thing burns oil like crazy. I usually carried the 5 quart bottle, but then again she has 308,000 miles on her. But I will go to turner and get a case. The manual will be my next chore. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big Congrats and welcome to the family. I know we traded posts as I just picked up mine and ours look very similar. (Looks like you have upgraded sound as well- very nice). Did you end up pulling the trigger on the one with just over 50K miles? Get it at the price you wanted?

Again- welcome!
Yes Wallace, I got the one that had 54,000miles and I paid $ 41,940 I love the color, I drove a black 6speed and a black smg but I dont like black. It's way too much work to keep clean. I did like the 6speed though but I figure them engineered them with a smg so that what I wanted to get. I am outside sales and I plan on use the M as a daily driver. One thing I really like is the guy that bought this M, put on the clear protection package to protect the front end and door edges and he tinted the windows. It has the iphone contector which is perfect. And heated rear seats for the kids, they will love that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is April "Let's all go out and buy a space grey M5" month?!?

Yet another! Thats almost half a dozen this month! Looks clean, fantastic color choice, good luck and welcome sir!

:cheers:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Made It To The Party

Congrats, what a great looking car. Take your time and enjoy the ride. I am amazed everytime I drive my beast and thoroughly enjoy its all around capabilities. Always learning.:flag:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Welcome to the family!

Great choice, I'm a space gray guy myself! :15:

-Ian

·
Registered
227 Posts
Space grey here! Welcome and enjoy your beautiful car.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I got to feed the beast. I was wondering how that was going to be....I imagine it will be a little crazy as I am learning the power of this car. I figured out how to sync my iphone with bluetooth. What a great feature!

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thank you for such HQ pictures. Aint the sync great? I love the one-touch phone book accessibility. :viking:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts