BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I made a grave mistake. For some reason I thought it was ok to use brake fluid in the power steering reservoir. After I put it in I noticed "ATF only" on the cap and made me doubt how 'ok' that was. Do I have it confused where clutch master can take brake fluid instead of PS?

I havent started the car yet so I can suck it out with a syringe or turkey baster and add in ATF if thats what I should do. I Think it is, but want confirmation (am I a [email protected])...

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I think I made a grave mistake. For some reason I thought it was ok to use brake fluid in the power steering reservoir. After I put it in I noticed "ATF only" on the cap and made me doubt how 'ok' that was. Do I have it confused where clutch master can take brake fluid instead of PS?

I havent started the car yet so I can suck it out with a syringe or turkey baster and add in ATF if thats what I should do. I Think it is, but want confirmation (am I a [email protected])...
start sucking! I Would also remove the oil lines from the rack and pump and let everything drain out. Then probably refill it with ATF, and drain it one more time before starting it. Then refill again with ATF. Or PS fluid - check what the manual says, I'm not actually sure, it's probably DexIII.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Get sucking. Look close first though if the brake fluid is not sitting on top it will be more dense and will have sunk to the bottom, so you may have to remove a line at the bottom and drain it. You my want to put both fluids in a glass and see what is going on.

·
Registered
794 Posts
None of the fluids are interchangeable whether it be brake fluid, coolant, oil, etc. Plus experimenting on an E39 M5 is not cost effective way of finding what you can/can't put in. grrrrrrr

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None of the fluids are interchangeable whether it be brake fluid, coolant, oil, etc. Plus experimenting on an E39 M5 is not cost effective way of finding what you can/can't put in. grrrrrrr
I use my ATE Blue brake fluid in brake and clutch of my miata. Its fine as clutch master fluid.
I also see why I made the mistake. I thought it was a blue bottle I used....Now I found my ATF, Valvoline DEX-III in a blue bottle...:mad:

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll be pulling the hoses and draining all the fluid.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Important question: Car is parked 1/2 block away in street. Can I start the car to get it into garage or do I need to absolutely not start the car and drain it curbside?

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Important question: Car is parked 1/2 block away in street. Can I start the car to get it into garage or do I need to absolutely not start the car and drain it curbside?
The safe course is to drain.

If you just topped off the PS reservoir, and are feeling lucky, take your turkey baster and remove as much fluid as you can. Then fill with ATF and get the car home.

After you get the car back to your garage, drain a couple of times and refill as noted above.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
568 Posts
Suck! SUCK IT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts