BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, let's be honest here...not all of us have the time or the energy to get out the Porter Cable and the Imperial Hand Glaze (sounds like a band, doesn't it?), or are willing to splurge on sending the car out for weekly detailings. Who out there sends their $70,000+ beast through the automated car wash??

I'll go first: I've even used the mini car washes at the gas station...y'know, the ones where the car stays in one place and the wash moves back and forth over the car. And the first time I sent it through the automated hand wash, I was a bit nervous that the tires were going to be to wide to fit properly in the track!

But sometimes, you just have to get it clean fast and cheap! C'mon, admit it!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I never use the brush automatic systems, I use the hole in the wall style places where you drive in, 5 miserable looking sods desend on your car and do a pretty resonable job and you drive out the other side.

Here in London the one I use is called the "American Car Wash Company". Is this statement about America refering to the grumpy cold fellas ? I've always imagined it was actually the manner in which your car is hand washed without you even geting out. But then again there is some irony in that the American "service with a smile" atitude is distinctly lacking from a company bearing its name.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I always use the "gang of Romanians" hand car wash, NEVER a machine.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
silver= car wash go
anything else= car wash no

I would never take a M car through an automated wash. I worry about the scratches and the potential damage to the rims.

What I do, since I am like you to an extent. I found a guy who is a car detailing artist- I pay him to do each car twice a year. He likes Zaino Bros stuff. Then I (about once every 4-6 weeks/ car) wash the car and use the spray car shine (Z6). The whole process takes only 2 hours if I work uninterrupted. The cars look brand new. I dont let anyone else do anything to the car.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Mine's a daily driver and in London that means a car wash at least twice a week. I don't care to do that when it's freezing outside, thanks very much :rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
If it's a nice day, I will wash myself. If I am in a hurry, I go to those touchless wash. I spray my rims first and then run thru. then I might go back to my garage and use a detail quick spray ( Meguiars)

RKM

·
Registered
776 Posts
buymenow00 said:
OK, let's be honest here...not all of us have the time or the energy to get out the Porter Cable and the Imperial Hand Glaze (sounds like a band, doesn't it?), or are willing to splurge on sending the car out for weekly detailings. Who out there sends their $70,000+ beast through the automated car wash??

I'll go first: I've even used the mini car washes at the gas station...y'know, the ones where the car stays in one place and the wash moves back and forth over the car. And the first time I sent it through the automated hand wash, I was a bit nervous that the tires were going to be to wide to fit properly in the track!

But sometimes, you just have to get it clean fast and cheap! C'mon, admit it!!
I hate it when I have to buy used cars and they allready have the rings on the paint from autom. car wash! I always wash by hand or, in winter, to get the snow, dirt and salt away, I use automated "brushless" power spray washes.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
I will occassionally do a "brushless" car wash when time and circumstances don't permit otherwise. By brushless, I mean nothing but water touches the car. Normally, hand wash, wax 3-4 times per year (it is black so it needs extra care).
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh, boy! I WISH I could find an automated car wash I could trust. Around here I don't know of ANY reasonable hand wash places (well, maybe one on SI on the way to the Zoo but I'm not traveling THAT far) and I'm sick and tired of riding around in a filthy car because I don't have the time or don't want to spend the bucks to have a detailing place hand wash it.

It's not the rims (right now I've got the Borbet winter rims on): it's just that the M5 is 4" above the ground at the low point and I just KNOW trying to pull it through (even if the actual washing is done by hand) will rip up the undercarriage. If I run into a local M5 I'll ask if there's an automated wash that's safe but I don't hold out much hope.

=NLK=

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use both. Just ran it through the automatic today. I do hand wash alot and wax at least 4 times a year. Haven't had a problem with the wheels yet!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
No machine wash for me, I have a son that turned 16 and for driving privileges, he has to wash all my cars. (No he does not get to drive the beast):biggrin:

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
No machine wash for the M car, hand wash only. The X5 goes through a brushless wash when I can't get to it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
silver= car wash go
anything else= car wash no

I would never take a M car through an automated wash. I worry about the scratches and the potential damage to the rims.

What I do, since I am like you to an extent. I found a guy who is a car detailing artist- I pay him to do each car twice a year. He likes Zaino Bros stuff. Then I (about once every 4-6 weeks/ car) wash the car and use the spray car shine (Z6). The whole process takes only 2 hours if I work uninterrupted. The cars look brand new. I dont let anyone else do anything to the car.

I'm with MEnthusiast here, and I have learned much from Erich. I bring him up here as much as he can come. He lives 1.5 hours south of me so it's rare to get him here. Did you see his last project? Nice car huh?

There is simply NO WAY I would drive these cars through a car wash. I shudder at the thought!
Erich would loose his cookies if he saw an M5 at a car wash! He's such a fanatic..... I love the guy. He's a detailing god!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
A couple of months ago in Arizona I saw a machine go nuts and damage the paint on a car. Most of the damage here in on the wheels.

If you do a search for car wash etc you will see a massive outpouring of distasteful comments on machine washing cars or hand washing using pressure washes espectiallly on the wheels which are painted.

I have a guy that comes to my office to wash my cars and others and I give him the soap, mitt and bottle brush for the exhaust pipes and he does it my way very well.

Aside from yourself, that is the best alternative.

:cool2:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hand wash only, gentle cycle.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat as required.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Last week it was below freezing, I had driven on a wet road coated with a mud that was flung up, and I was desperate. So the first time I went to a machine wash that was touchless and hand-dried. I do a much better job on my own,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Never!!!!

No one has ever touched the exterior of my cars. I hand wash three vehicles at least once a week and use Zaino and Rejex regularly!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts