BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First one to find this get's a one-beer-at-restaurant-value reward on me (via paypal). Good beer. Not Naddy Ice. :ROFLMAO:

Figured I'd turn to the brain trust here to help us solve a mystery. As we rebuild our S62 for our M8 project we are thoroughly cleaning and/or replacing any components that need it.

We have a sensor cable that has two black plastic retaining clips on them and the clips need to be replaced. We have scoured RealOEM and can not find this component. Closest thing we found is 61138368029 (which oddly appears twice on this schematic as #1 and #7)... but it is definitely not correct, nor are any of the other clips that appear in that image.

Ready, set, go!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
197 Posts
The only thing I could find that looks remotely familiar with the threaded tree is part no. 34521164653 but the plug part looks considerably longer than the one in your picture and even though it is labled in FCP euro and parts of RealOEM as a "cable clip" if you go to the link where it shows it on the diagram for an E39 it shows as "tubing support" and looking at the picture it is not obvious that it would fit around a cable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Someone else left this reply on a post where I was asking about an engine harness part

Not trying to immediately discourage you, but to get a brand new [clip] it'll take some digging. Odds are that's a TE Connectivity part since they made most (if not all) of the connectors on the engine harness. BMW's contracts with TE include a stipulation preventing TE from selling the part to anyone else, even if you ask them directly with the correct part number off of the connector itself (I know this from personal experience, and it's a frustrating aspect of the right to repair issue facing multiple industries). If you decide to go down that path and hit a dead end, your best bet is to PM Clemster and see if he'll sell you one off of a used harness. You may also get lucky with eBay as some people (usually overseas) can somehow still get ahold of stuff like that.

**edit: They are definitely part of the harness. Check out the images here Genuine BMW Engine Wiring Harness - 12517832328 - E39 M5

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Someone else left this reply on a post where I was asking about an engine harness part

**edit: They are definitely part of the harness. Check out the images here Genuine BMW Engine Wiring Harness - 12517832328 - E39 M5
Can confirm. I just a good old GM style loom clip. I have hundreds of them in various sizes and styles as I always seemed to lose or break them. I bought them from "clipsandfasteners" when I needed them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Folks... thank you all for the replies - I knew I could count on this group to get a functional reply on this. We had a sneaking suspicion that it might not be sold separately but I figured we'd get to the bottom of it here.

Since there was no right answer, I'd like to buy a beer for the two folks who went in and spent some time to find some workable alternatives in realOEM. I think ultimately we are going to go with the clip suggested by @GabrielD - the threaded tree part being the key. I think that may be our closest substitute and hopefully it will be big enough for the cable. @austrianvespaguy we didn't use your suggestion because lack of that threaded portion, but I appreciate you spending the time looking around to find something in there.

Both of you PM me your PayPal addresses - I'm happy to buy some beers for the folks that make this community so great! :) Again - thanks to everyone else who responded too!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
If you have some time have a look here. These guys supplied my supplier, they have almost everything automotive fastener related. The problem is box size for some items. What am I going to do with a 1000, I only need 10. From the home page on left scroll down to wire loom clips and have a look at the second or third, they are better choices than the clips on the harness. To boot you can open them instead of ripping them out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you have some time have a look here. These guys supplied my supplier, they have almost everything automotive fastener related. The problem is box size for some items. What am I going to do with a 1000, I only need 10. From the home page on left scroll down to wire loom clips and have a look at the second or third, they are better choices than the clips on the harness. To boot you can open them instead of ripping them out.
Thank you! I will look around their website and see if we can find something that looks good if the other clips don't work out (I ordered them already).

Appreciate the offer @xing6666, but I'll politely pass; just pay it forward by keeping us apprised of how you build comes along, plus I'm picking up a fresh sixtel tomorrow for my kegerator so I'm well stocked on beer for the time being! Good luck with the M8!
LOL. Follow the build thread I posted above and you'll see all the progress. With the exception of a few last items, the engine is pretty much mechanically done. We should be ready to drop the engine back in the M5 for some trials and to make sure everything is nice and tight, and then we'll be pulling it back out again to begin the M8 conversion. Enjoy the beer! Offer still stands should we ever meet in person. Small world sometimes.

Those connectors break so frequently and easily, we typically replace them with zip ties. The vanos connector brackets are the worst.

--Peter
Pretty much everything that's plastic in this engine bay is the worst :rolleyes:. We've replaced everything we could within reason. We may replace some more stuff once we have the engine back out again after the M5 trial. The goal is to keep everything as factory looking as possible, so I'm trying to avoid zip ties etc, despite my strong desire to use them lol.

BTW, if I owe these folks a beer, I owe you a keg.

Of rum.

Reactions: flacoramos

·
Registered
197 Posts
Folks... thank you all for the replies - I knew I could count on this group to get a functional reply on this. We had a sneaking suspicion that it might not be sold separately but I figured we'd get to the bottom of it here.

Since there was no right answer, I'd like to buy a beer for the two folks who went in and spent some time to find some workable alternatives in realOEM. I think ultimately we are going to go with the clip suggested by @GabrielD - the threaded tree part being the key. I think that may be our closest substitute and hopefully it will be big enough for the cable. @austrianvespaguy we didn't use your suggestion because lack of that threaded portion, but I appreciate you spending the time looking around to find something in there.

Both of you PM me your PayPal addresses - I'm happy to buy some beers for the folks that make this community so great! :) Again - thanks to everyone else who responded too!
No need for a reward, like the others say just pay it forward if you ever have the answers to other peoples questions or the time to find them. I like to go on hunts for parts/things that other people are having a hard time finding. Definitley don't give me a reward before you know if the piece will fit or not haha.

I have certainly gotten A LOT more out of these forums in terms of information and saved time than I could ever contribute so I'm always happy to try and help. I hope it works. Gotta agree that I would have probably just zip tied it :cool:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man... hard to give away virtual beers around here. :D

Thank you all and I will do my best to use what we learn from this build to help others. I hear you regarding the zip ties - if it were my daily... totally. This build I want to be buttoned up super perfect.... which probably means I (and Eugene) are probably going to go clinically insane by the end of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts