BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So After a lot of research on this forum, I've learned about most of the issues that are liable to come up with my 540i, but I Just have one question that I seem to be having some trouble finding the answer to:

I like to drive on super high mileage road trips from time to time, and knowing my luck, I'll get stuck out in the middle of nowhere in this one. I've heard some say they've driven their car to the shop with this ailment. Is this something I can drive like 50 miles with if it happens in the middle of nowhere? I've been considering buying the BMW original parts and actually carrying them around in the car with me if I go for long trips so I can get repairs done if it happens to me X_X or maybe even just biting the bullet and replacing them even though they're fine right now.

Basically I'm just asking whether to drive it until it breaks or replace it now just because. I have no record of whether it has been replaced before, or for that matter how great the danger of it shattering is even if it hasn't.

Anybody care to weigh in?

-R

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine started to go when I was on a trip about 90 miles from home in the desert. I was able to drive with the engine running rough for about 40 miles before oil pressure lights and shut off engine lights came on. Had to pull off the freeway and have the car towed the rest of the way to my mechanic for the repair.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can always drop the oil pan to look for pieces of broken chain guide. Keep in mind the M62 is an interference engine so if the timing slips far enough it can bend the valves.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My timing chain guide recently went- car sounded like a diesel, but I was able to drive it out to my mechanic and back (round trip about 30 miles)- I was hoping it was a coil or something but he confirmed what it was. I sold the car to a retired mechanic who wanted to fix it- he had other V8s with valve chain guide falures that he repaired. He didn't seem too concerned driving my car home, and I know on one of the cars he was telling me about that he had in the past & got lazy and drove it "for a while" with the failed chain guide before the chain finally slipped and did some other damage (that he was able to repair himself).

Anyway, my point is if it goes I think you should be able to drive "a while" - i.e. a decent amount of miles- to get home. Obvioulsy drive it easy (meaning no high revs) and have the AAA card ready in case, but I'm not sure I'd be overly paranoid about it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For piece of mind I would do it if your planning to keep the car long term. Last thing you want to do is have major damaged caused by broken guides. As jks540i said it is an interference engine after all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
fortis
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing