BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just flipped the pages of AMS ,looking at pics of what is to come in 05/06 and saw a "uber 600PS fur die M6"
What's up???????

·
Registered
816 Posts
absent said:
Just flipped the pages of AMS ,looking at pics of what is to come in 05/06 and saw a "uber 600PS fur die M6"
What's up???????
Crap. Probably old news published just before BMW released the official 507bhp numbers.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
When someone asked if the M6 would have more power than the M5 at a BMW event, one of the officials from NA asked us if we thought it would make sense for them to offer a different state of tuning for their techs to learn, etc. The implication was, perhaps with minor plumbing issues, the M6 will get the same engine with the same (or darn close) power. Now, maybe they do a CSL and do like they did with the M3 CSL and find a few more ponies- but the 507 is pretty darn impressive and I like to think they came to that specific number as a nod to a past model :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
When someone asked if the M6 would have more power than the M5 at a BMW event, one of the officials from NA asked us if we thought it would make sense for them to offer a different state of tuning for their techs to learn, etc. The implication was, perhaps with minor plumbing issues, the M6 will get the same engine with the same (or darn close) power. Now, maybe they do a CSL and do like they did with the M3 CSL and find a few more ponies- but the 507 is pretty darn impressive and I like to think they came to that specific number as a nod to a past model :)

For what its worth my SA told me 50 more hp and 500 lb lighter than the m5. With all the weight saving already discussed as well as a slightly smaller carI would think at least 250lb is easily possible. another 50 hp seems reasonable. I would think that would translate to a significant improvement in acceleration times. there always seems to be someone on the board who can calculate such things.

at least thats what my sa said. he's probably wrong. i hope not.

frank

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
That's kind of a backward logic by the BMWNA official. In that same logic - why did BMW ever release the M3 CSL in Europe? It wouldn't have made sense from a servicing point of view...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Kees,
Thats a good point but thats what they said. Btw- have you ever noticed that NA sometimes does things its own way- eg the E36 M3- they wanted a price point so they got a lesser engine- and the various packages they offer which simplify the options list.

Hey, more power? Bring it on baby!

·
Registered
816 Posts
kees said:
It wouldn't have made sense from a servicing point of view...
Good point. Only 23 M3 CSL cars came to Australia and they originall sold for just over 40% more than the M3 coupe price. Fun car, but I didn't think it was worth it (or maybe I wasn't "hardcore" enough to appreciate it). Likewise, it's unlikely I'll get an M6 CSL if that came out. Too many goodies of the standard M6 might be out the window for light weight purposes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts