BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I get lucky or what?

A couple of weeks I coming back from the Palms Springs area (OK I was gambling at Morongo).:3: It was late, 3 to 4 am. in the morning and the freeways were empty. My wife was in the car dowsing off as a black Z06 with a extremely loud exhaust pulled up on me. He revs the gas a few times and pulls away. My wife awaken by the noise looks at me and while shaking her head says "don't even think about it".

When my wife agreed to let me purchase the car a promise was made, " I never go racing in the car... of course I was lying through my teeth". In any case she was in the car and it was a little too early to break the promise.

Fortunately, the Z06 slow downs and taunts me again. This time he honks a few times and jumps the car urging me to join before the he takes off again. I could tell the wife was annoyed. She looks at me again and says "no". I tell her "Come on, theres no one the freeway and I promise to be safe. It's a Z06 and he'll probably smoke me anyways. Just a little fun." To my surprise she agrees. YAHHH!!!

Right away I drop the gear into 4th and pull up to the Z06. I honk a few times to let him know that it's on. We're rolling about 70, so I drop it to 3rd and push the "M" button. The Z06 takes off first. To my surprise he doesn't pull on me, I start to pulling on him. After a couple of taps on the gear paddle I look down and the speedometer reads 135. I look back and the Z06 is at least 5 car lengths behind.

Need a second run, that's the thought that crosses mind. I slowed down to let the Z06 catch up thinking he must of missed a shift. The Z06 changes lane and takes off. For second I thought about following him and taunting him the way the taunted me but, I was sure that the wife would not like it and I should just be happy with the victory.

The best thing about this was, the wife enjoyed the run it being her first and all. She always assumed it would be balls out like in the movies. Now when someone pulls up on me when my wifes in the car, she doesn't mind a quick run. :M5launch:

It would have been great to get a vid of this. Now I carry a camera in the car at all times. Just in case, you never know. Maybe I'll run into a Murcielago tih enough road...lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did I get lucky or what?

A couple of weeks I coming back from the Palms Springs area (OK I was gambling at Morongo).:3: It was late, 3 to 4 am. in the morning and the freeways were empty. My wife was in the car dowsing off as a black Z06 with a extremely loud exhaust pulled up on me. He revs the gas a few times and pulls away. My wife awaken by the noise looks at me and while shaking her head says "don't even think about it".

When my wife agreed to let me purchase the car a promise was made, " I never go racing in the car... of course I was lying through my teeth". In any case she was in the car and it was a little too early to break the promise.

Fortunately, the Z06 slow downs and taunts me again. This time he honks a few times and jumps the car urging me to join before the he takes off again. I could tell the wife was annoyed. She looks at me again and says "no". I tell her "Come on, theres no one the freeway and I promise to be safe. It's a Z06 and he'll probably smoke me anyways. Just a little fun." To my surprise she agrees. YAHHH!!!

Right away I drop the gear into 4th and pull up to the Z06. I honk a few times to let him know that it's on. We're rolling about 70, so I drop it to 3rd and push the "M" button. The Z06 takes off first. To my surprise he doesn't pull on me, I start to pulling on him. After a couple of taps on the gear paddle I look down and the speedometer reads 135. I look back and the Z06 is at least 5 car lengths behind.

Need a second run, that's the thought that crosses mind. I slowed down to let the Z06 catch up thinking he must of missed a shift. The Z06 changes lane and takes off. For second I thought about following him and taunting him the way the taunted me but, I was sure that the wife would not like it and I should just be happy with the victory.

The best thing about this was, the wife enjoyed the run it being her first and all. She always assumed it would be balls out like in the movies. Now when someone pulls up on me when my wifes in the car, she doesn't mind a quick run. :M5launch:

It would have been great to get a vid of this. Now I carry a camera in the car at all times. Just in case, you never know. Maybe I'll run into a Murcielago tih enough road...lol.
that was a nice race but a new Z06 will pull you if the person knows how to drive. It takes a decently modded M6 to hang with a 08 stock Z06.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I suspect the Z06 driver was a weenie...either that or it was a
C06. I think you have him after 150 but until then he should
own you.

From a roll up to 150:
Stock Z06 == Heavily modded M6 (headers, pulleys, etc)

...of course on this night you had him. :cheers:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I suspect the Z06 driver was a weenie...either that or it was a
C06. I think you have him after 150 but until then he should
own you.

From a roll up to 150:
Stock Z06 == Heavily modded M6 (headers, pulleys, etc)

...of course on this night you had him. :cheers:
That sounds about right, i raced a new CO6 and pulled around 5-6 cars on him from 70 - 140 ish.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MY guess is that the guy probably mis shifted. Wish I had a vid.

·
Registered
994 Posts
They run out of gears at 170-ish. Just when our limiter chimes in.ouich

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah let the Z06's enjoy their fun while it lasts. 2012 its a whole new ball game when we get our 5.5L Turbo'd motor. I cannot wait.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm guessing the z06 had fiero engine in it.:biggrinbounce:​

Lol...wait, if thats the case, I was only 5 car lenghts on him...hum...I'm seriously going to have to get more mods. :1:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

550Chris said:
Yeah let the Z06's enjoy their fun while it lasts. 2012 its a whole new ball game when we get our 5.5L Turbo'd motor. I cannot wait.
yeah by then the ZR1 will be owning the highways unfortunatelygrrrrrrr
The ZR1 is going to be a great car but its going to come with a blower. I think the tuning abilities with a 5.5L biturbo will make us a fierce competitor.

·
Registered
302 Posts
5.5L biturbo...another excuse for me to spend too much money, perfect lol

·
Registered
991 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Guys, what's with all of the comments about a bi-turbo S85. I must be working too hard. Fill me in please:)
The (unsubstantiated) rumors are that the next generation M5/M6 will have a bi-turbo variant of the current V10, producing upwards of 600hp. Although BMW is obviously beginning to get heavily invested in bi-turbo technology, I find that rumor more wishful thinking than reality. Europe and, most likely, the US will be subject to extremely onerous fuel efficiency standards in a few years. The next generation of models will have an emphasis on weight reduction, electronics, energy regeneration and fuel efficiency. The bi-turbo was developed specifically to produce more horsepower with smaller engine displacement and less turbo lag. A bi-turbo V10 would have at least as bad fuel efficiency as the current one, albeit with much higher horsepower, and is therefore less likely to be produced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts