BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpHmiGRr5Dw&feature=related

"In the end...the M6 edged out the Benz....the M6 is simply more engaging and involves the driver in the experience.....the SL65... is almost sedate in comparison and is the easier car to live with..."

This quote is sooo accurate....i'll take the M6 any day for a more "engaging" driving experience...

Reactions: Disci

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thats right!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think value or performance/$$ played a role in their decision. The SL65 is nearly 2x the cost of an M6.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I think value or performance/$$ played a role in their decision. The SL65 is nearly 2x the cost of an M6.
No doubt, which makes it a ridiculous comparison in the first place.
Toss a stroker into an M6 and the hp numbers are closer...so
is the cost.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
"Upshifts from the SMG transmissions are abrupt, and each gear change feels like you are getting socked in the face and with 7 forward gears, you are going to catch a beating each time you get in the M6"....

hihahihahihahihahihahiha

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Their claim the SL65 being "faster" once again is only to 60 mph. Just wait until Gustav decides to post the video we did last June against the SL65 AMG. It should once again stir the pot on the mbworld forum...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Their claim the SL65 being "faster" once again is only to 60 mph. Just wait until Gustav decides to post the video we did last June against the SL65 AMG. It should once again stir the pot on the mbworld forum...
What were the conditions and results of the race?

·
Registered
967 Posts
So you're saying above 0-60mph the M6 is faster? I find that hard to believe...

If the M6 does catch up and take over, I'd imagine it was in the 140+ range which to most drivers, doesn't matter. We all don't live near the autobahn:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, you were faster!

But this SL 65 AMG was a lot slower than my S 65 AMG at the event. I have talked to the owner of the SL 65 a couple of weeks after the race and he said the intercooler pump was bad (a very common failure) and he replaced it and then he had a new car!

Today that SL 65 isn't stock. He has done a lot af work to it and it now has over 700 hp!

http://www.automotorsport.se/biltester/2005/0501/050101.pdf Scroll down to the last page. Compare the results. The SL 65 AMG has a top speed of 338 km/h (210 mph). What is the top speed of the M6?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yes, you were faster!

But this SL 65 AMG was a lot slower than my S 65 AMG at the event. I have talked to the owner of the SL 65 a couple of weeks after the race and he said the intercooler pump was bad and he replaced it and then he had a new car!

Today that SL 65 isn't stock. He has done a lot af work to it and it now has over 700 hp!

http://www.automotorsport.se/biltester/2005/0501/050101.pdf Scroll down to the last page. Compare the results. The SL 65 AMG has a top speed of 338 km/h (210 mph). What is the top speed of the M6?
Not that I want to have anything to do with this MB vs BMW nonsense but the top speed of the M6 is about the same, certainly in excess of 200.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
You mbworld fellas can argue the loss all you want. Let's wait for the video(s).

·
Registered
967 Posts
You mbworld fellas can argue the loss all you want. Let's wait for the video(s).
You can label me an mbworld fellow all day, I'm on this forum because the M6 will likely be my next ride....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You can label me an mbworld fellow all day, I'm on this forum because the M6 will likely be my next ride....

Uuhhh, I think Russ was directing his comments at S65 AMG!???????
There are always reasons these AMG cars seem to lose! One hell of a coincidence if you ask me! For a 180 large, these cars should certainly not have the rate of technical failures that they do. What a pain in the *** that must be!:eek7:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
My comments were directed to those mbworld members that want to stir the pot here. There always seem to be why cars lose to BMWs at Gustav's events. It's not only with the SL65 AMG, but it's the same with the Z06, Viper, Supra, E55 AMG, the list goes on and on. When I got smoked by the Carrera GT, I didn't whine about it and nobody here seems to care--I lost to a faster car and that was that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm sorry to say this, but it looks like some of you have no clue what you're talking about.

First, SL65 does not cost "almost twice" or "70,000$" more than M6. If you look at the market price of SL65, you will realize that they don't sell for anywhere near MSRP. You can buy an 06-07 SL65 right now for low 110-120k... which is about the same as M6 convertible. Wake up people... no one is actually paying 180,000$ for SL65's, they were overpriced and too many of them were produced, so they were marked down like crazy and what the original MSRP was is totally irrelevant when you're actually buying a car.

Second, when you look at the performance difference, comparing 0-60 times of cars with 500hp+ is idiotic. 0-60 is pretty much 100% traction limited in both cars, so it could go either way depending on launch technique, tires, etc. What you have to look at is 1/4 mile times and trap speed, as well as 0-100, 50-150, etc. Here, you can pretty much tell that SL65 is in a totally different performance category. See the comparison below:
http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.p...e4=-1&op4==&year4=0&submitButtonName=Compare!
As you can see, SL65 is capable of 10's with only an ecu tune and 127mph+ trap speeds. LIke I said, totally different league than M6. Can't even compare high 10's vs low 12's...

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I'm sorry to say this, but it looks like some of you have no clue what you're talking about.

First, SL65 does not cost "almost twice" or "70,000$" more than M6. If you look at the market price of SL65, you will realize that they don't sell for anywhere near MSRP. You can buy an 06-07 SL65 right now for low 110-120k... which is about the same as M6 convertible. Wake up people... no one is actually paying 180,000$ for SL65's, they were overpriced and too many of them were produced, so they were marked down like crazy and what the original MSRP was is totally irrelevant when you're actually buying a car.

Second, when you look at the performance difference, comparing 0-60 times of cars with 500hp+ is idiotic. 0-60 is pretty much 100% traction limited in both cars, so it could go either way depending on launch technique, tires, etc. What you have to look at is 1/4 mile times and trap speed, as well as 0-100, 50-150, etc. Here, you can pretty much tell that SL65 is in a totally different performance category. See the comparison below:
http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.p...e4=-1&op4==&year4=0&submitButtonName=Compare!
As you can see, SL65 is capable of 10's with only an ecu tune and 127mph+ trap speeds. LIke I said, totally different league than M6. Can't even compare high 10's vs low 12's...

I live a quarter mile at a time. You know there might be things happening after the 1/4 mile fella.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The car is still overpriced and un-spirited to drive. They always seem to have some technical problem or failure during races so, as far as I am concerned the times you post are damn near theoretical. Who cares what is possible in theory if the damn car can never run properly. Sorry man, you are not the only "expert" in this crowd my friend and yes, I am bias against MB cars for a variety of reasons. I am at peace with this. I just think we all get tired of the excuses the drivers insist on posting after they lose races that they are SUPPOSED to win. You are entitled to like AMG cars just as I am entitled to think they are unreliable and overpriced! To each his own.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts