BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes unbelievably Evo this month have pitted the Renault Clio Trophy against the M6 on country/mountainous roads near Terni (north of Rome).

Before I read the article I thought it would be a typical "Giant Killer" type article where in the twisty sections the smaller car was vastly superior in terms of speed and enjoyment (not an uncommon genre of motoring article in the UK) And I get the feeling this is why the article was set up, Evo are not known for their love of BMW's or "high tech" cars in general, you may remember they were very down on the M3 CSL.

However it seem that the M6 suprised them and actually aquitted itself very well indeed.

The only real negative point was the brakes which Evo, as well as other mags, still feel are prone to fade and just not good enough for a 500+bhp, 200mph car of this calibre.

Otherwise they were very complimentary:

Quote" The performance is gigantic; that's the best way I can think to describe it. All-enveloping, distance shrinking, vision blurring. In other words bloody fantastic"

Quote "..once the P Zero Corsas have bitten, the big BMW gets out of corners like you wouldn't believe. Each hairpin is scorched with rubber..."

They even praise the SMG calling it "exceptional" and commenting that in it's fastest mode gear changes take 60 milliseconds compared to the F430's 150 milliseconds.

Quote "The ride is exceptional for a car of such potential and the damping feels beautifully controlled"

Also interesting, Quote" ...the M6 is a joy to hustle. It has a lithe, delicate balance that separates it from the identically engined M5.."

The writer says that before the test "I thought the M6 was just an M5 in an Elvis jumpsuit. I was wrong. It's an awesome GT and a wonderfully intuitive and interactive sports car."

All interesting stuff and for those of you that know Porsche loving Evo contributors, high praise indeed.

Add a big brake kit and surely the M6 has got to be one of, if not the best all round GT/Sports Car/ Supercars available?

Apologies but I can't scan this article if anyone in Uk can,I would be grateful if they could get it scanned and posted on the board.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for the quick excerpts. Just keeps vindicating my choice to get the M6 as if I needed any anyway:1:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
To be brutally honest it's a pointless test. Would anyone with an M6 budget really consider a Renault Clio as an alternative?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Andy-UK said:
To be brutally honest it's a pointless test. Would anyone with an M6 budget really consider a Renault Clio as an alternative?
I don't think they are seriously suggesting that anyone would actually be considering the clio as an alternative to the M6 and if they were i agree it would be totally pointless.

I think what they are trying to do is to show that two very different vehicles in terms of dynamics and cost are more closely matched than one might think on normal roads. I suppose the question is, is there any point in doing that?

I guess it has some validity but personally I think perhaps a DB9 or 575 Maranello would certainly have made it more interesting and would definitely have been worthwhile.

Probably something to do with their readers complaining about them only testing expensive Supercars? Which I don't really understand, if you want to read about ordinary/budget cars read What Car.

·
Registered
675 Posts
stupid test,a fast hatch will always be more fun than a supercar on certain roads ,i remember my old xr3i easily keeping up with a a porsche carrera many years ago.Purely down to size,you can't hustle a ferrari or M6.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
markf said:
...i remember my old xr3i...
I'd keep that quiet if I were you old chap:M5thumbs:

Anyway you are right, size, front wheel drive and the confidence that they bring mean that the smaller car would always keep in touch with any supercar on the twistier sections.

I almost skimmed the clio bit anyway and was more interested in the positive write up on the M6. As a prospective owner it is good to read something like this.

·
Registered
267 Posts
johnny73 said:
I'd keep that quiet if I were you old chap:M5thumbs:

Anyway you are right, size, front wheel drive and the confidence that they bring mean that the smaller car would always keep in touch with any supercar on the twistier sections.

I almost skimmed the clio bit anyway and was more interested in the positive write up on the M6. As a prospective owner it is good to read something like this.
And that was my point as well. Had no interest in any of the comparo in this case - only the M6 comments.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Gop-Dogg said:
The same could be said for the M5 - F430 comparo. If you're in the market for a Ferrari, are you really going to concider a BMW?
That test makes more sense though.

The performance is pretty well matched and if your an F430 owner your more than likely going to need a daily driver. What better car than the E60 M5 in which you don't have to make that many sacrifices when it comes to performance yet you have the versatility of a 4 door.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Having read the article, I think some of you have missed the point, which as far as I could see was to show that there is an awesome driving machine at any price level to suit any need. Evo admit within the article that the comparison is indeed foley.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts