BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gents,

would the M6 totally destroy an E46 SMG M3 with some simple suspension mods on the track?

curious since the E46 M3 is much lighter in weight.....

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
gents,

would the M6 totally destroy an E46 SMG M3 with some simple suspension mods on the track?

I doubt the M6 would be much faster. Depends on the track too....M6 likes longer straights, and the M3 would probably eat up the M6 on a small track.

·
Registered
314 Posts
e46 M3 with coilovers is a very capable track car.

Last fall at a Road America event there were two of them, one a vert. On the straights I'd close on them no problem -- almost to the point where I'd have to lay off the gas -- and then we'd come to a turn and shortly thereafter, well, they'd disappear...

Now I know my e39 can't compete with the M6 on track in any way. However, I attended the event with a buddy in an R8 V10, and while he's no professional driver, he waved them by on more than one occasion as well. And most of the time when they passed me they were running with a seemingly skilled driver in a Heffner R8, so...

I agree with Hasan in that this isn't that apt a comparison -- the M6 is a true GT, but to address the question posed --

Based upon my experience I don't think a stock M6 hangs with a modded (suspension) e46 on anything resembling a tight/technical track. M6 "destroys" it only at a drag strip.

Based upon your tone, I presume you may be posing this question following a (friendly) exchange with an owner of an e46 with suspension mods. I would advise that you not get too cocky with him... you may be in for a surprise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
amazing

pretty amazing info!

if a lightly suspension modd'd E46 can pretty much beat an M6 on the track...i wonder what an E92 M3 would do...

i guess the V10 really makes the M6 a bad-*** highway cruiser.

i like both cars..so its win win any which any one answers :)

thanks guys!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have owned both. it really will depend on the track. I took the M6 on Streets of Willow and Big willow.. both tight and fast tracks. Modded suspension doesnt mean anything unless its properly setup, and i would but 30% on the car, 35% driver and 35% tire choice. Well maybe more driver, now that I think of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
gents,

This might help since this provides a specific example. These are the nurburgring laptimes and I dont know if the e46 can make up 10 secs with simple suspension mods.

8:22 BMW M3 E46 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (12/2000)
8:09 BMW M6 E63 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (12/2005), Sport tires, 259 km/h speed limiter.[citation needed]

Other laptime comparisons e63 vs e46
BMW M6 vs BMW M3 (E46) - FastestLaps.com

e63 vs e92
http://www.fastestlaps.com/comparisons/bmw_m6-vs-bmw_m3_e92.html

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The M6 seems like the best all around car to me. Its not the quicked in the 1/4mile but will hold its own against many. Sure you'll get some 4wd cars that will beat it 0-60 but they wont stand a chance on the freeway. Sure you'll get some old GT mustangs that run 9sec 1/4miles but they cant turn worth crap and are not geared for the freeway. Then you may have an M3 that would win on the track but good luck on the freeway or even 1/4mile. Seems like the only car that really can hold up all around to the M6 price for price is the Z06 but the M6 still pulls it top end and you have the class of saying you own a bmw behind its name. Thats what i love about the M6, it can do a little bit of everything.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
This might help since this provides a specific example. These are the nurburgring laptimes and I dont know if the e46 can make up 10 secs with simple suspension mods.

8:22 BMW M3 E46 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (12/2000)
8:09 BMW M6 E63 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (12/2005), Sport tires, 259 km/h speed limiter.[citation needed]

Other laptime comparisons e63 vs e46
BMW M6 vs BMW M3 (E46) - FastestLaps.com

e63 vs e92
BMW M6 vs BMW M3 - FastestLaps.com
The Ring is a very fast track. I have raced against many M3s on many track days. They are faster in the tighter sections of the track and I am usually faster in the straighter sections of the track.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts