BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok cliffnotes:

Uninformed, idiot, in class, keeps saying how the CTS-V is superior to the M6 in EVERY single aspect. Let is be acceleration, handling, pricing points... Every single week in our marketing class, this kid comes back with his homework assignment always referencing the its superiority to the M6, and I am bummed I chose the M3 for my topic ironically.

Can you guys provide me with some concrete information / footage / solid material I could use against this guy? I have some personal attachment to this car as we once used to own it, and compared to the CTS-V I know there is no comparison. There is really nothing in that car that interests me...

I am really fed up with him thinking a Cadlliac is the king of the racetrack, especially when I have a chick for a teacher and she "agrees" with all his arguments.

I need to put this kid in his place!
TY m6 board!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Arguing with idiots is futile, pointless, and unrewarding. Ajax does believe that the CTS-V would make a far superior fish smoker than the M6, but that's the only thing that comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
As others have said, it's not worth arguing about. Both stock, the stats are real close (both in acceleration and handling). Clearly the BMW is assembled with higher quality materials and craftsmanship so it is unfair to compare price.

If you'd like to comb the figures, you can compare the matching 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times and such here:

2009 Cadillac CTS-V Specs (0-60: 4.1 seconds, 1/4 Mile: 12.3 seconds @ 117.5 MPH)

2006 M6 Specs (0-60: 4.1 seconds, 1/4 Mile: 12.4 seconds @ 118.1 MPH)

All specs aside, the ///M is a driver's car and the CTS-V cannot replicate this. It's a solid car and I have driven it on multiple occasions, but it would never be capable of keeping me satisfied in the way that my M6 has.

Tell the pindick in your class that sitting next to each other in the club parking lot, the chicks would walk past the CTS-V without even noticing it while staring at the M6. CTS-V is easily unnoticed as it looks very close to the millions of boring CTS sedans out there.

-b.

Ok cliffnotes:

Uninformed, idiot, in class, keeps saying how the CTS-V is superior to the M6 in EVERY single aspect. Let is be acceleration, handling, pricing points... Every single week in our marketing class, this kid comes back with his homework assignment always referencing the its superiority to the M6, and I am bummed I chose the M3 for my topic ironically.

Can you guys provide me with some concrete information / footage / solid material I could use against this guy? I have some personal attachment to this car as we once used to own it, and compared to the CTS-V I know there is no comparison. There is really nothing in that car that interests me...

I am really fed up with him thinking a Cadlliac is the king of the racetrack, especially when I have a chick for a teacher and she "agrees" with all his arguments.

I need to put this kid in his place!
TY m6 board!

Reactions: Fatal Flash

·
8,369 Posts
+ 1 to what everybody said.

No need to argue with anyone - they are both great cars.
You can not beat the power you get though out of the CTS-V for the money you pay for them.
They are cheap.

And just like Carrisco said, park the two side by side and see which one chicks dig more.
The type of women you will pick up with an M6 would be higher class and higher quality, and most likely you will get better sex : )

But if he still insists, tell him I can buy two of your CTS-V for one of mine.

Ask him what's the top speed of CTS-V? There's a video on youtube. Stock M6 speed delimited top speed is 204mph.

And always remember - to each his own.
If he prefers the caddy - then fine, tell him to go buy one but you prefer the M6.
We are all different.

I honestly think though that if money is no object and given the choice between the two - I am betting he would pick the M6.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The CTS-V (past and current generation) is a great car but suffers from one major deal breaker, it is a POS and is built by a company that has little clue how to assemble a truly refined automobile.

I have owned one and while I loved the power, the sound, and the concept, everything about it was cheap and poorly built compared to a German car. I got rid of it within about 5 months.

I must be getting old but I can no longer accept speed without quality and refinement. I am also quite willing to pay a premium for those last two points.

The M6 is also a luxury GT car while the CTS-V is a sports sedan targeted to go after the C63 AMG, M3, M5, etc, and do so at a lower price point and with a faster lap time on the 'Ring. Does this make it better than any of those and would I own it long term over any of those? NO WAY!

·
8,369 Posts
Thanks for the honest input and for sharing your personal experience with CTS-V.

I've never owned nor have a desire to own one. All I base my opinion on are user reviews, what I read on the internet and the looks of the vehicle. It just doesnt do anything for me.

Thanks again for sharing.

The CTS-V (past and current generation) is a great car but suffers from one major deal breaker, it is a POS and is built by a company that has little clue how to assemble a truly refined automobile.

I have owned one and while I loved the power, the sound, and the concept, everything about it was cheap and poorly built compared to a German car. I got rid of it within about 5 months.

I must be getting old but I can no longer accept speed without quality and refinement. I am also quite willing to pay a premium for those last two points.

The M6 is also a luxury GT car while the CTS-V is a sports sedan targeted to go after the C63 AMG, M3, M5, etc, and do so at a lower price point and with a faster lap time on the 'Ring. Does this make it better than any of those and would I own it long term over any of those? NO WAY!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
First of all, are you comparing the CTS-V coupe to the M6 or the CTS-V sedan? I think it makes more sense to compare coupe to coupe. Both cars are exceptional at what they do, but I think there are some fundamental differences. The most obvious difference is powertrain. The M6's N/A S85 5.0L V10 is remarkable engine and when mated to the 7 speed SMG transmission is a lethal highway car. It is going to satisfy those enthusiasts who want/enjoy a high degree of involvement with wringing the most out of a car's performance. The CTS-V's 6.2L S/C V8 doesn't have the flair for drama that the M6 brings, but it brings massive torque. Unlike some other car's engines that I have owned (MB V12 biturbo I am talking about you), the CTS-V has an uncanny, very proportionate power delivery all the way to redline. Whether one engine is better than other really goes to personal preferences. If you are addicted to torque...the CTS-V will make you happy and the M6 will feel a little lacking in comparison. Whereas if you prefer redline sprints to 8K rpm, clearly the CTS-V won't do it for you and the M6 will reign supremely in your judgement. As far as handling, the M6's lighter weight is going to "feel" better being thrown into the corners. But strangely enough, the CTS-V does put down better handling figures (i.e. slalom and road-holding) despite its porky 4,200+lbs of curb weight. I think the interior of each car is a direct function of the car's price. The M6 has a great interior and can be optioned with some nice carbon fiber. The CTS-V on the other hand now has some nice touches (optional Alcantara steering wheel and shifter, optional Recaro seats and a standard stitched leather dash) but there are a lot of other questionable low cost things going on. The M6 easily wins a comparison against the CTS-V's interior. However, before you completely pass judgement on the CTS-V's interior, look at cost cutting that went into a C63 AMG's interior. By comparison the CTS-V does rather well against a car with a very similar price (C63's similarly optioned approach $80K). Also, the CTS-V is much easier/cheaper to modify to your personal performance liking. My CTS-V picked up 100+rwhp with about $7K in modifications and labor and now runs a 7.71s 60-130mph time (6.63 100-200km/h). A CTS-V coupe would likely see similar results. An M6 owner would have to basically throw a supercharger (or nitrous) on the S85 to produce similar figures. But once again it goes to personal preferences. As far as coupe-to-coupe, I actually like the M6's styling better. The CTS-V coupe's rear end is a little too "hatch-backy" for my taste. The CTS-V coupe also weighs nearly the same as the sedan which is crazy since you lose so much rear passenger room.

The M6 and CTS-V are two great cars and both make people happy in their own unique way. And you shouldn't have to tear down the other car and call it a "POS" because you prefer something else...

Tom

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Wow some great responses I never expected...

I will reply to Tom's post as its the most recent...

First of all I apologize for that POS comment, its just the way in which he addresses his arguments towards the car in class is in a mocking, laughing, and "disrespectful" manner as you may say..one of those street parking lot pimps who go to the regular weekly meets and argues how GENERAL tires are more superior to Toyo Proxes...

However, I understand the two aspects to both vehicles as you mentioned. He strives to argue the high-class quality of the Caddy, along with its interior, which is what brought me here in the first place.

Many things have been answered, (ty m6 board), and I will, lightly, touch on some of the subjects if he begins another rant in class! It's not much of an "argument" to get back at him, but it also is a good factor on class participation, etc., so constructive argument between two manufacturer's wouldn't be a bad thing. I rather keep a conversation going for another 10-15 minutes on this topic rather than listening to the Tresemee marketing appeals, or Sephora's new product line!

Just testing out whether I could get a grip on his taste and see if I can sway him to the dark side of rooting for N/A V10 engines :7:

I appreciate the responses, and its good to stick my head in here once in a while. TY

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
... [snipped] ...

The M6 and CTS-V are two great cars and both make people happy in their own unique way. And you shouldn't have to tear down the other car and call it a "POS" because you prefer something else...

Tom
Normally I would agree with you but since Blacksport350 has actually owned a CTS-V for a short time, I believe he's entitled to his opinion -- even if it's a strong one.

He spent his hard-earned money on one and was not happy with the fit & finish. Open and shut...

-b.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Normally I would agree with you but since Blacksport350 has actually owned a CTS-V for a short time, I believe he's entitled to his opinion -- even if it's a strong one.

He spent his hard-earned money on one and was not happy with the fit & finish. Open and shut...

-b.
With opinions....it is rarely an open and shut case. I believe Blacksport350's family owned the 1st generation CTS-V (as he mentioned on mbworld). His experience (which you're relying on) is with a car that is entirely different from the one being discussed (the 2nd generation CTS-V). Yes, there are some quality of materials issues with the 2nd generation, but no exploding rear differentials, axle hop and an assorted other problems which were addressed in the development of the 2nd generation model.

I have owned my fair share of German cars (BMW M5, BMW X5 4.6is, Audi RS6 and MB CL65). Is the CTS-V a Teutonic sports sedan?...absolutely not. It is clearly an American interpretation of a somewhat affordable luxury/sports sedan. The car is by no means perfect, but I am really enjoying it. In my opinion, its positive attributes far out-weigh the negatives.

Tom

·
Registered
441 Posts
You are correct, I bought a 1st Gen CTS-V when it was first out and while it was a fun car, it had chronic issues all related to quality and engineering. Finish quality was not there either. My wife drove that car most of the time and had my same gripes.

I almost bought the 2nd Gen CTS-V but the same interior and exterior finish quality issues bothered me. As bad as the 1st Gen, no, comparable to other cars (German) in the same price range, no. It is otherwise a much better and more complete product but still feels like a big engine stuffed in a package that it wasn't really designed for with an average interior. The performance numbers are however VERY good by any stretch of the imagination but there is more to a car than numbers (to me at least).

So in retrospect, POS was harsh but that is how I have come to feel about American cars after giving them more than one chance. This is why I choose to spend more money on European machinery with lessor or equal performance stats. I appreciate their general feel and their more subjective qualities. In other words, a Z06 is cheap for what it is but I would rather pay significantly more for a GT3 that won't drive me bonkers every time I look at it even though the performance is no greater. Yes I am VERY picky and willing to pay to be picky or I wouldn't have bought an M6 when their are much cheaper alternatives that are faster in all regards.

BTW, Even in the price range of the Z06 or CTS-V, I still expect better materials and finish quality then what GM is offering so get a clue GM!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Crack whores always prefer Cadillacs.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ok cliffnotes:

Uninformed, idiot, in class, keeps saying how the CTS-V is superior to the M6 in EVERY single aspect. Let is be acceleration, handling, pricing points...
Actually, he's informed pretty well. From strictly a performance or pricing standpoint, the CTS-V wins.

The CTS-V is faster around a track, faster in the 1/4 mile, handles better, brakes better, and does it all for less. Can the M6 go faster top speed stock? Sort of, because technically you have to modify the computer to get there but take off the limiter and yes. Not worth arguing that point.

Now, factor in build quality, quality of materials, etc, and that's where your additional dollars go.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I think Pistolero was just making a pop culture reference to gangsters as they are often portrayed on TV in Cadillacs. But since it has hit a nerve with some as an ethnic comment (intended or not), it's time to cool it a bit with metaphors and get back to car facts (with opinions of course).

Personally, I don't find the Caddy attractive and the quality, fit & finish from what little I have seen makes me appreciate my M6 all the more. And the squashed shoe box styling doesn't do it for me.

But I applaud GM for upping their game (even if I think they are still short).

As many have pointed out, numbers alone don't tell the whole story. But to each his own.

·
Registered
648 Posts
There was an article in Motor Trend a few months back that compared the M3, RS5, & CTS-V. the video is below. The bottom line was you cannot go wrong with any of the three. I realize that the M3 and M6 are different cars, but would imagine a similar conclusion. I would say the same with the current CTS-V and M6, both are great cars and there are probably a couple of minor points that will lead someone to pick one over the other. I wanted a larger convertible that is powerful, fun and reliable thus I think my decision was obvious.

YouTube - Where Eagles Dare: Cadillac CTS-V Coupe vs Audi RS 5 vs BMW

·
Registered
704 Posts
Why do you buy the vehicle you own and drive what you drive? The fundamental question. Whether it is due to a status symbol desire, a need for speed or something in between, we all have our own reasons for what we buy and drive. So what if this guy and the teacher like American. Good deal and we need people to purchase American goods, but it doesn't mean we have to agree on what we prefer. One is an American high end and the other is a German high end. Not for the same roads, driving desires or overall attitude. Take the high ground and just move on without emotion. BMW produces great vehicles. We all in this forum appreciate what we own and drive. Let those with other cars do the same. And by not engaging in their one upsmanship you also show a more mature approach to the subject.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I think Pistolero was just making a pop culture reference to gangsters as they are often portrayed on TV in Cadillacs. But since it has hit a nerve with some as an ethnic comment (intended or not), it's time to cool it a bit with metaphors and get back to car facts (with opinions of course).
My comment, which I thought was obvious, was a joke. Sorry if I offended anyone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why do you buy the vehicle you own and drive what you drive? The fundamental question. Whether it is due to a status symbol desire, a need for speed or something in between, we all have our own reasons for what we buy and drive. So what if this guy and the teacher like American. Good deal and we need people to purchase American goods, but it doesn't mean we have to agree on what we prefer. One is an American high end and the other is a German high end. Not for the same roads, driving desires or overall attitude. Take the high ground and just move on without emotion. BMW produces great vehicles. We all in this forum appreciate what we own and drive. Let those with other cars do the same. And by not engaging in their one upsmanship you also show a more mature approach to the subject.
X2 well said

1 - 20 of 88 Posts