BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Ok here's my problem:
I'm on the waiting list for both of these very beautiful cars. I'm first on the M6 and the Aston dealer promised I would get mine within first year of production so in both cases I'm looking at almost the same delivery date; if i place an order..

So, i live in New York City area (horrible winters, even worse street conditions)..
I love the Aston styling but I love the M6 power numbers!

I just got the Aston official brochure and it seems as if it will only be a 6 six speed manual (no automatic option) which i am against.. I just never learnt how to drive stick.. and im assuming it would be hard in the city traffic

And on the other hand, i love SMG, but those 19 inch rims are killers... am i correct in my assumption that those are the smallest we can order? they look great but very unpractical..

Now the numbers, the Aston is 380 HP and 0-60 4.9 secs. Do these numbers differ THAT much from the M6?? I drive an SMG M3 and its the greatest car i have ever owned or driven from response to handling to everything.. no complaints... im figuring the AMV8 performance would be more inline with the M3's whereas the M6 would be more like a CL55 AMG...

What would you say is the better performer and by how much?

Also, last thing, is the price... i'm hearing that M6 will be in 100-110 range and AMV8 is gonna be around 110-120 ... can anyone clarify..

love to hear your thoughts... thanks...

·
Registered
816 Posts
OK, nobody here has driven both cars, so we are just making subjective opinions based on our experience, readings and preferences.

I don't really think the V8 Vantage is up against the M6 for a start (ignoring price). I think the V8 Vantage is really more a competitor with the new E90 M3 coupe, whereas the DB9 and Vanquish S are true M6 competitors.

The 0-100km/h official numbers are different enough: 5.0 secs for the Vantage and 4.6 secs for the M6 (which many of us feel sure will do better than that, as some E60 M5 runs already prove). The M6 sits 4 people and boasts a lot more luxury and technology. The DB9 had a number of production delays but probably so will the M6 so I cannot comment much about quality of build. Expect a lot of "wires" in the M6 for technology and build, which I expect will the superior car over the Vantage, as I believe over the DB9 also. If you prefer manual transmission least, SMG is the way to go. Much of Sydney roads are a true horror also: cracks and holes everywhere and totally uneven.

The new 5 spoke 19" wheels are desgined specifically for the M6: brief arms for cooling, forged light-alloy for light weight according to the press release. Perhaps not the best looking but at the end of the day, I think I will end up with them.

As for price, here in Australia, the DB9 will probably be about 10% to 15% more expensive than the M6, whereas the M6 will be more expensive than the Vantage, but I don't know by how much.

The key is that I think the Vantage competes with the E90 M3 generation.

·
Registered
675 Posts
i too have both on order.
The AMV8 is targetted against the 997S,the M6 is more GT,the AMV* more sports car.
Since neither car is out,and no one has tested them anything we say is pure speculation.THe m6 will be faster,but probably not around the corners.The AMV8 is reputed to have cracked 8 mins for the ring.
The m6 will not be as sought after or retain anything like the value of the AMV8 (talk of £20,000 premiums over here for the first year cars).

·
Registered
62 Posts
M6 Forever said:
OK, nobody here has driven both cars, so we are just making subjective opinions based on our experience, readings and preferences.

I don't really think the V8 Vantage is up against the M6 for a start (ignoring price). I think the V8 Vantage is really more a competitor with the new E90 M3 coupe, whereas the DB9 and Vanquish S are true M6 competitors.

That's true. I totally agree.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
M6 Forever said:

The 0-100km/h official numbers are different enough: 5.0 secs for the Vantage and 4.6 secs for the M6 (which many of us feel sure will do better than that, as some E60 M5 runs already prove). The M6 sits 4 people and boasts a lot more luxury and technology. The DB9 had a number of production delays but probably so will the M6 so I cannot comment much about quality of build. Expect a lot of "wires" in the M6 for technology and build, which I expect will the superior car over the Vantage, as I believe over the DB9 also. If you prefer manual transmission least, SMG is the way to go. Much of Sydney roads are a true horror also: cracks and holes everywhere and totally uneven.

The new 5 spoke 19" wheels are desgined specifically for the M6: brief arms for cooling, forged light-alloy for light weight according to the press release. Perhaps not the best looking but at the end of the day, I think I will end up with them.

As for price, here in Australia, the DB9 will probably be about 10% to 15% more expensive than the M6, whereas the M6 will be more expensive than the Vantage, but I don't know by how much.

I would agree with pretty much everything you say with one exception; there is no way the M6 really '...sit four people...' Try sitting in the driver's seat of a 645, then crawl into the seat behind it if you can. Maybe you can fit four small people in the car just to prove you can do it, but there is no way anyone would choose to actually transport four people in an M6. Four people that you wanted to remain friends with afterwards anyways.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Intersting dilema...If I were in your shoes, I would remain on both lists and wait and see if it is possible to test drive each. The literature I've read on both cars sounds like they will be fantastic cars. This potential purchase is about what you see yourself driving and what aspects of each car are most important to you. Good luck!
Cheers
Kevmmm

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wolverine said:
I would agree with pretty much everything you say with one exception; there is no way the M6 really '...sit four people...' Try sitting in the driver's seat of a 645, then crawl into the seat behind it if you can. Maybe you can fit four small people in the car just to prove you can do it, but there is no way anyone would choose to actually transport four people in an M6. Four people that you wanted to remain friends with afterwards anyways.
Yes, yes ... I agree. Technically speaking, the E63 sits 4 people whereas the Vantage sits only 2. The rear 2 in the E63 will not be comfortable by any means. Unless you end up with a coupe like the Benz CL class which then sits quite comfortably at the rear but the car starts to look and drive like a sedan. Or worse still, stick 2 extra doors at the rear and still call it a coupe like the CLS!

So I think the E63, for a true coupe, has got it right.

The other thing is that the Astons in general have much greater "emotional" appeal (exclusivity, retention of value etc.). But I'm not fussed by that. It's the "meat of the monster" that really counts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i agree with all the points... my only problem is figuring out which car is going to give me more headaches and choose the other one!... i dont care about the backseat in either car.. a non issue.. im just concerned that if i go with the aston, im going to get totally screwed by the performance of it as opposed to the m6... in other words, i love every minute of driving my m3 and im a little concerned i may be downgrading performance (not by any means status) if i go with the aston after the performance im used to getting out of the m3... Does anyone know (or can guess) if the performance (handling, grip, power) will be better than the e46 m3? i know for certain the m6 will be a phenomenal car.. but it seems like the only reason they are priced so high is to stay in the class with the CL... the M cars are beyond unbelievable but they shouldnt command such a high dollar when lets face it, most people dont percieve it as such a high value.. but i guess thats whats special about the M's... silent monsters...

ok now im ranting... thanks for all the input

·
Registered
304 Posts
2003M3Conv said:
yes i agree with all the points... my only problem is figuring out which car is going to give me more headaches and choose the other one!... i dont care about the backseat in either car.. a non issue.. im just concerned that if i go with the aston, im going to get totally screwed by the performance of it as opposed to the m6... in other words, i love every minute of driving my m3 and im a little concerned i may be downgrading performance (not by any means status) if i go with the aston after the performance im used to getting out of the m3... Does anyone know (or can guess) if the performance (handling, grip, power) will be better than the e46 m3? i know for certain the m6 will be a phenomenal car.. but it seems like the only reason they are priced so high is to stay in the class with the CL... the M cars are beyond unbelievable but they shouldnt command such a high dollar when lets face it, most people dont percieve it as such a high value.. but i guess thats whats special about the M's... silent monsters...

ok now im ranting... thanks for all the input
Concerning performance values, the AM V8 will be at least as fast as the M3. The new M6 will be very fast on a straight line! If you want real performance (like on a circuit) then you have to choose the car in the following order: 997 S with 20 mm, 997 S with PASM, AM V8, M6, ...

The M6 is not far away from M5, 997 S beat the M5 so easy that the small advantage of M6 will not help M6 to beat the 997 S.

So you want more perfomance go for the Porsche. The two back seats in M6 is nothing, they are not better then the two back seats in the Porsche. What is really good is the trunk of the M6, 450 lit against 135 lit in the Porsche!!

Greetings

AM

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
mumbasic said:
Concerning performance values, the AM V8 will be at least as fast as the M3. The new M6 will be very fast on a straight line! If you want real performance (like on a circuit) then you have to choose the car in the following order: 997 S with 20 mm, 997 S with PASM, AM V8, M6, ...

The M6 is not far away from M5, 997 S beat the M5 so easy that the small advantage of M6 will not help M6 to beat the 997 S.

So you want more perfomance go for the Porsche. The two back seats in M6 is nothing, they are not better then the two back seats in the Porsche. What is really good is the trunk of the M6, 450 lit against 135 lit in the Porsche!!

Greetings

AM
I would agree. However, there is a HUGE difference between the 997S and the M6 or probably Aston. The 997S achieves it's performance due to incredibly stiff suspension settings and relatively light weight. The ride in the 997 is washboard stiff - it is NOT a comfortable ride compared to the 645. Not even comparable, the 997S is MUCH stiffer than the M3. (I've test driven all these cars recently).

So, the main question for you I think is first, how comfortable do you want your car to be? If ride comfort is a concern, then get the M6. Although it will certainly be a harsher ride than the 645, and probably stiffer than the M5, it will be MUCH more comfortable than the 997S. This is really the difference between a 'grand touring' auto, and a sportscar. The M6 is really a 'touring car' that will be comfortable for long rides. The 997S is a sports car.

It's tough to say where the Aston will fall in - probably in between the two in terms of comfort. I would guess it won't be as comfortable as the M6, but more than the 997.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
m6 power numbers look good, but the thing is heavy almost 4k lbs...so that extra power it has over the amv8 is nothing, I take the lighter car with better looks the amv8 it is. As for an auto option the f1 style trans is coming for that 1 year after release just like the db9.

The m6 does have a backseat though and if your not to tall you can use it, or at least put grocerys there.

All in all I take the amv8.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wolverine said:
I would agree. However, there is a HUGE difference between the 997S and the M6 or probably Aston. The 997S achieves it's performance due to incredibly stiff suspension settings and relatively light weight. The ride in the 997 is washboard stiff - it is NOT a comfortable ride compared to the 645. Not even comparable, the 997S is MUCH stiffer than the M3. (I've test driven all these cars recently).

So, the main question for you I think is first, how comfortable do you want your car to be? If ride comfort is a concern, then get the M6. Although it will certainly be a harsher ride than the 645, and probably stiffer than the M5, it will be MUCH more comfortable than the 997S. This is really the difference between a 'grand touring' auto, and a sportscar. The M6 is really a 'touring car' that will be comfortable for long rides. The 997S is a sports car.

It's tough to say where the Aston will fall in - probably in between the two in terms of comfort. I would guess it won't be as comfortable as the M6, but more than the 997.
It is wrong if you say, that 997 S gets its performance thru stiffness. The car is much lighter, has a better traction and better brakes. The comfort of 997 S with PASM will be nearly the same as M3. I agree the -20 mm suspension is too stiff, I wouldn´t recommend it. Did you test 997 S with PASM or with the sport suspension. I have tested both and for me the PASM is better (more comfort). The AM V8 is not so fast as the Porsche nor he has the engine of the M6. So I would choose only between Porsche 997 S and BMW M6.

Greetings

AM

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mumbasic said:
It is wrong if you say, that 997 S gets its performance thru stiffness. The car is much lighter, has a better traction and better brakes. The comfort of 997 S with PASM will be nearly the same as M3. I agree the -20 mm suspension is too stiff, I wouldn´t recommend it. Did you test 997 S with PASM or with the sport suspension. I have tested both and for me the PASM is better (more comfort). The AM V8 is not so fast as the Porsche nor he has the engine of the M6. So I would choose only between Porsche 997 S and BMW M6.

Greetings

AM
so youre saying that the difference in weight between the m6 and the amv8 wont make a difference at all? it wont bring the amv8 closer to m6 performance?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
2003M3Conv said:
so youre saying that the difference in weight between the m6 and the amv8 wont make a difference at all? it wont bring the amv8 closer to m6 performance?
Offical release figures on the m6 i saw was like 4.5 or 4.4 to 60, on the amv8 it was 4.6...so is the backseat and style and exta 10th and 600 lbs difference make you wanna buy either more or less?

·
Registered
304 Posts
markf said:
th e AMV8 has an identical power to weight ratio to the 997s.
Yes, it has little more power and is a bit heavier. So you can brake later with a Porsche, you can driver faster thru curves and you have a better traction (70% weight on the rear axle). That´s why Porsche is superior in performance.

I have talked to Winkelhock (Ex formula 1 driver). I asked him, what do you prefer 300 kg less weight or 150 hp more power. He answered very quickly, 300 kg less weight ;)

Greetings

AM

·
Registered
675 Posts
Aston martin claim it will lap the ring in a virtually identical time to the 997S.

We are speculating,but from what ive read the Aston will be a match for the 997S.
I agree it is not a competitor to the M6,but its not meant to be,it was produced to compete directly with the 997S.In the UK the first 5 years production is sold out at the moment,and there is no doubt it will affect the success of the 997.

I see no reason why the aston should not be superior,it certainly has one thing going for it,one of the most gorgeous cars ever.

BTW Im considering a 997S whilst i wait for one of the M6,997tt,and AMV8.
Drove one and its nearly as fast as the 996tt was.

·
Registered
304 Posts
markf said:
Aston martin claim it will lap the ring in a virtually identical time to the 997S.

We are speculating,but from what ive read the Aston will be a match for the 997S.
I agree it is not a competitor to the M6,but its not meant to be,it was produced to compete directly with the 997S.In the UK the first 5 years production is sold out at the moment,and there is no doubt it will affect the success of the 997.

I see no reason why the aston should not be superior,it certainly has one thing going for it,one of the most gorgeous cars ever.

BTW Im considering a 997S whilst i wait for one of the M6,997tt,and AMV8.
Drove one and its nearly as fast as the 996tt was.
I would buy immediatley AM V8 if the car has the same performance values as the 997 S and if the car has two back seats (for my two boys). The design of AM is from another planet. I really love the design. I hate Porsche for not doing more in design. If the AM V8 would have 420 hp and the two back seats I would never ever think about the M6.

The M6 is to heavy, it is more like the M5 with maximum performance in straight line. So it can do things a Mercedes CLS AMG can do the same way with less stress. But still this car has 507 hp, SMG III and a head up display and Porsche doesn´t have such things :(

Greetings

AM

·
Registered
675 Posts
mumbasic,the good news is,there will be more powerful versions of the AMV8,the bad news..it will never have rear seats.
I think the M6 is going to be fantastic,is it heavier than a 996tt ?

·
Registered
304 Posts
markf said:
mumbasic,the good news is,there will be more powerful versions of the AMV8,the bad news..it will never have rear seats.
I think the M6 is going to be fantastic,is it heavier than a 996tt ?
I´ve sold my 996 tt last year. It was a fantastic car. I tested twice the new 997 S and the 997 s is 95% as fast as the 996 tt. The 996 tt is about 1.665 kg and the M6 is 1.785 kg. For straight line the M6 schould be faster :byebye: then the 996 tt. But I think we schould compare it with the 997 tt which will have around 490 hp and the same weight.

I have the problem, that the Porsche is little bit to small and could have little bit more power (420 hp), the M6 is not so nice looking car and is little bit to heavy. So I am still in the middle between this two cars. I will wait this weekend when the M6 will be presetend and of course a testdrive.

Greetings

AM

1 - 20 of 40 Posts