BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am planning to have the v-max removed from my M6 vert/cab and wanted to know how may people out there had done high speed runs in soft tops? My thought being did BMW really design their car construction to do 200mph... It might be an odd question
but I am looking for some confidence the top won't peel back at such high speeds - thoughts? Peter<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
370 Posts
i wouldnt go that fast with a vert. dont think the top will even last at those speeds

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've had mine over 170mph (indicated on speedometer so probably just above 160 in reality). The wind noise really picked up at 150 but no flapping or other indication air was getting under seams around the roof. I will likely take it faster once the weather warms I get the car to a suitable place.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Its the vacuumm effect you need to worry about. The difference in air pressure from outside the vehicle to the inside.

Would really want to risk blowing the top off at speeds greater than 160mph?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The car was built for speed, the soft top holds, not like the fake tops on lambos or Ferraris that blow off after 100. Also for reference I have done about 170 with the top and windows down and its pretty comfortable. Enjoy the car! Drive safe though, too many stories in the news about stupid people hurting themselves and others, Fast can be safe if your smart about it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I had my E46 M3 convertible to the limiter on numerous occasions without problem. OTOH, long-distance high-speed runs in my older E36 M3 coupe resulted in the underside air damn (splash guard) falling off on several occasions. After two replacements, I put in extra screws to fasten it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The car was built for speed, the soft top holds, not like the fake tops on lambos or Ferraris that blow off after 100. Also for reference I have done about 170 with the top and windows down and its pretty comfortable. Enjoy the car! Drive safe though, too many stories in the news about stupid people hurting themselves and others, Fast can be safe if your smart about it.
Good to know that about our M6 Convertibles, though I don't plan on ever going that fast.

However, I strongly disagree with your statement about convertible Ferraris & Lambos. I owned a 1999 355 Series Fiorano F1 Spider & took it over 135 mph with top up & no problems at all(on an empty stretch of Hwy 5 from San Jose to Los Angeles on clear, dry day).
I also now own a 2007 Lambo Gallardo Spider(pic attached) & have driven over 125 mph top up with no problems either(similar driving conditions above).

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts