BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on here in a bit. Has anyone here gone from a M6 to an X5M. Thoughts? Did you hate it? Did you feel you made a good switch etc etc.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 750i, 2010 M6
137 Posts
I didn't make a switch but I sold my 2012 Audi S4 so I could buy my buddies 2012 X6M. So having both cars didn't make me miss my M6, but I couldn't live with the X6M... Loved the full leather, silverstone interior like my M6, but to be honest the transmission is so poor in that car...I sold it and have been thinking about the new RR Sport.

I would have deeply regretted if I sold my M6 for the X...but I'm fortunate enough to have more than 1 car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: zigfread

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not real point in swapping imho unless you absolutely NEED awd but really, who does? It's slower than our cars anyways so what's really the point? Not like they drive any better!

Edit: Depends if you need a new year round daily driver though, might be a little bit better than the M6 in that regard. I'm personally looking into a Range Rover HSE for my wife sometime in the future and would highly recommend getting one of those. Super luxurious, good power, truly impressive off-roading capabilities and good ride. Guess it really comes down to what you're looking for/need in a car (or SUV in this case).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Get the RR Sport, my uncle got one and it is pretty comfortable and smooth and has that added power.

Another option worth considering could be a Porsche Cayenne Turbo if you're really wanting high-power SUV's

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My M6 is useless in the snow seeing as I lowered it a bit :)
I have a 2011 x5 35i as well. I love that thing, just wish it had a bit more power.
Was thinking of giving it to my wife, her x3 is getting alittle tight with the 2 little ones.
And getting the x5m for me.
And was just looking to see if anyone had picked one up. The tranny was what I was thinking about as well.
My m6 is way out if warranty now, not the best for carrying the monsters , and we get real winters... And roads where I live now suck! That's why I was toying with the idea. Good power , road clearance, xdrive, usable... 2 cars mashed into one. The tranny would be a deal killer for me though

·
Registered
398 Posts
My M6 is useless in the snow seeing as I lowered it a bit :)
I have a 2011 x5 35i as well. I love that thing, just wish it had a bit more power.
Was thinking of giving it to my wife, her x3 is getting alittle tight with the 2 little ones.
And getting the x5m for me.
And was just looking to see if anyone had picked one up. The tranny was what I was thinking about as well.
My m6 is way out if warranty now, not the best for carrying the monsters , and we get real winters... And roads where I live now suck! That's why I was toying with the idea. Good power , road clearance, xdrive, usable... 2 cars mashed into one. The tranny would be a deal killer for me though
a friend of mine had X5M for a year
I think the car is absolutely pointless.. standard X5s ride quite harsh in comparison to its competitors and they are not the ideal offroaders to begin with.
Putting M bits on it just made is even worse. Rides even harsher and off-roading becomes near nightmare
my friend bought it because his house was on the hill, during the winter he has to go over some steep hills covered in snow, needless to say the X5M went nowhere.
I'm not a big fan of Audi but RS6 just seems to serve the purpose a lot better than X5M unless the muscular look and high driving position is what you're after. X6M is even worse with unbelievable cabin space..
Hope that helps

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car in question, still have to cover the side markers... Have had the stickers sitting in my desk for a year or so..

Reactions: Stig_06

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
And agree not a fan of the x6. Looks like an Aztek prepped for a moon landing. Odd looking thing

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"my friend bought it because his house was on the hill, during the winter he has to go over some steep hills covered in snow, needless to say the X5M went nowhere."

Did he have snows on it? I gotta say my regular x5 is a tank with blizzaks

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had an X3 as my daily driver. I will say that although I liked it for the relative power. I considered a number of SUV's (X5M, Cayennne Turbo, RR SS) for my new daily driver, but decided that I was not an SUV guy. I ended up getting the 550 with X Drive. This has the X drive, decent ground clearance and there are several mods that can get it up to 500 HP, which I will do in the future. I have been very happy with winter performance and daily driving. The 550 will be in the stable for a long time.

It took me a long time to come to this conclusion, but for a car guy this is something worth considering.

T

·
0 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1401336656.780187.jpg ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1401336698.713409.jpg

I picked up an 11 x6M with 19k a month ago for $52k on manheim. It is a great car and great motor. I feel the S63TT fits the trucks far better than the cars. I will never but an F10,F 12, or F13 M-car, but I will definitely recommend this to anyone. Very happy with it. Gas mileage is about the same at 11ish.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
340 Posts
"my friend bought it because his house was on the hill, during the winter he has to go over some steep hills covered in snow, needless to say the X5M went nowhere."

Did he have snows on it? I gotta say my regular x5 is a tank with blizzaks
+1 got the bridgesones blizzaks 80's on mine - fantastic

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the oem Dunlop winter package for a couple weeks, hated them! Useless in the snow, I'm sure the run flat didn't help.
Went with the blizzak DMV1's night and day, it became a tank.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That X6M interior looks awesome!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I still have my M6. I replaced my M5 with a 2011 x5 50i with the M sport package. I could not be happier. I needed an AWD vehicle for winters crossing the Appalachian Mtns. Tires make the difference. I have Conti extreme Contact DWS ON MINE NOW. Love them. It's not an X5M but it can be tuned to approx. 450 AWHP and over 500 Ft/lbs torque. I really like the vehicle. Yes, it is not as good as a RR off-road but it is not as terrible as people may lead you to believe. For me it was a great decision. If I could only have one, I would keep my M6.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Haven't been on here in a bit. Has anyone here gone from a M6 to an X5M. Thoughts? Did you hate it? Did you feel you made a good switch etc etc.
Thanks!

Hey as an owner of both vehicles(x5m & 6spd m6) they are two different vehicles cant really compare the two.. My x5m is a daily driver and the m6 I take out on random sunny days..

Whenever i get into my m6 after driving the x5, i am incredibly happy i kept it and still love driving it every single time.. and when I hop back into my x5 the smile does not change :7: its the best of both worlds

The x5m is lowered on coils and the m6 is on eibach springs..and as said before yes the ride on the x5m is a bit harsh especially with coils.. Actually i take it back its not "harsh" you just feel the grooves in the road more much more the car is much more sensetive.. but then i am on coils.. forgot how the stock ride was.. the m6 ride is perfect for it being a gt heavy car with lowered springs.. have never complained about the ride in the 6.. the x5m does tend to be a bit sensetive with grooves in the road, road condtions etc

As far as winter driving in the x5m.. you do need winter tires as the wide michelin diamiris that come with the car are performance oriented summer tires for suvs

If you want to be in a GT type of vehicle that still turns heads(mine being an 08) keep the m6.. if you want to be the SUV king of the road get the x5m.. both cars are amazing

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Nice collection!! would like to see more pics of that x5m. Rims looks great. And the fiber.
My 6 is lowered on kw v3's so I know exactly the feel your talking about.
I drove the 6 all week. And well there is no way I can let it go. I like having my x5 35i, the usability, just get in and go type of vehicle.
So decided I will give that to the wife. And get an x5m and keep the 6 :)
Found a good, trustworthy warranty for the 6. 3 years 65000 klms. Covers everything for 2700 bucks.
My dealer has dealt with them with no issues on some very major pricey repairs.
Now it's time to turn my wife's x3 into a x5m for me!

And I always run winters.... Never went through a winter with out them. Always end up getting blizzaks always have had great success with them. Drove my m5 one winter with them, 0 issues. And we get real winters up here in the great white north.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts