BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am finally awaiting arrival of my 2007 M6, it has to be shipped from Florida to California...

Since you owner's know the value of the M6....would you ship it open transport or enclosed carrier....quotes I got were about 800-1000 vs. 1500-1800?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
BMWNA only uses enclosed transports, so you might want to do the same :lightbulb:
Even more important is the reliability of the carrier.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great guys....yea i decided on closed transport..it's about $575 more...but ive heard too many horror stories with open

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Wise choice...best of luck and welcome to the M6 club!!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Dude, Intercity lines and NO ONE ELSE.

I have used them many, many times and they are hands down THE BEST Auto transporters in the industry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Closed looks like this...

The attached photos are of the delivery of my M6 in December, in a elementary school parking lot in Maryland. The "closed" semi truck couldn't easily navigate the road in front of my house, so we met around the corner. Car had come from Denver, and was in great shape, despite being shuffled on and off a couple of times to facilitate other vehicle deliveries. The Maybach was enroute to Brooklyn, NY the next morning. It's sticker was $345, which impressed the driver. Also aboard was an old GTO. Amazing business.

DWA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The attached photos are of the delivery of my M6 in December, in a elementary school parking lot in Maryland. The "closed" semi truck couldn't easily navigate the road in front of my house, so we met around the corner. Car had come from Denver, and was in great shape, despite being shuffled on and off a couple of times to facilitate other vehicle deliveries. The Maybach was enroute to Brooklyn, NY the next morning. It's sticker was $345, which impressed the driver. Also aboard was an old GTO. Amazing business.

DWA
Wowwwww!!!:eek: Imagine the insurance policies on that truck...if it got into an accident, over $1 mil. in fine cars....great pics!!! I wonder what other cars mine will be in (prob. a Taurus and Hyundai)...I shall take pics as well!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wise choice...best of luck and welcome to the M6 club!!
Thanks!...this forum has given me a wealth of information....waiting for the car is the hardest part....:biggrinbounce:anticipation.....1 more week!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Now that you are going with the closed truck, it's important to pick the right company.

I have heard of too many horror stories from guys who thought they would save a few hundred bucks only to see their worst nightmare come true.

Go with: Inner City as someone else has mentioned.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'll throw in another recommendation for Intercity. They are great to deal with and take very good care of the vehicles.

They are the contracted carrier for Barrett Jackson Auto Auctions so that should give you an idea of the caliber of vehicles that they deal with on a regular basis.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I'll throw in another recommendation for Intercity. They are great to deal with and take very good care of the vehicles.

They are the contracted carrier for Barrett Jackson Auto Auctions so that should give you an idea of the caliber of vehicles that they deal with on a regular basis.
Hey, another Phonecian! How close did they get to your home or was it literally 'door to door' service?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hey, another Phonecian! How close did they get to your home or was it literally 'door to door' service?
It was door to door, but I live in an old part of central Phoenix so the roads are straight and wide. If I were in a newer development with curvy streets then they may have had some trouble.

The driver called me the day before and asked about access. Had there been a problem we would have met down the street at the grocery store.

I'll never ship a car on an open carrier. Not only is there a tremendous risk of damage to the vehicle I don't like the way that the cars go in at strange angles and must be driven up those ramps under their own power. The intercity trucks have lifts so the cars are always horizontal and with the power lift gate they never have to drive up or down a ramp.

The other thing that I really appreciated was that the driver removed his belt, watch, keys, etc from his person before entering the trailer so as not to scratch anything on my car or any of the others in there.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've done open transport before. If you want to get the dirtiest car ever delivered to you...do it open.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I've done open transport before. If you want to get the dirtiest car ever delivered to you...do it open.
Dirty I don't care about. I would just be worried about them jacking something up loading/unloading/securing the car. It is a few hundred dollars cheaper to go that route. Going from NY to AZ isn't cheap....

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Go closed, please go closed. +10000000 on Intercity, next would be Reliable and last FedEx-Transport. As far as access, I would meet the driver down the street from me. Also don't forget to tip them. I usually give $50.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts