BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

To me this is bad news.. some of you may be aware of this already.. I just found out today.

This afternoon I was by my dealer for a tire issue ( I drive an E46 M3 Concertible). So while I was waiting I walked around the showroom a bit.. took a look at the new M3 Competition Package as well as some regular M3's. What I noticed is that BMW is no longer making the cool looking oval rear view mirror that they made in 2003 and before that on M Models. Instead, starting in 2004 they started to make the regular rectangle rear view mirror standard in EVERY car. They said it is because they have an SOS button there now for emergencies.

This is a big dissapointment for me. I think my mirror in my car is one of the nicest features that stand out. Has anyone else heard about this? Are they going to do this on the new M5 or M6? I'm first on the M6 list and was dissatisfied a bit at the styling since it doesnt stand out THAT much from a regular 6 and now that ugly mirror..

Thanks for listenin! :confused2

·
Registered
955 Posts
yes, the new M5 and M6 won't have the M oval mirrors.

and i don't know why you are disappointed. but M cars are always suppose to be discrete, and subtle. i feel the side vents on the M5 is a bit over the top already.

·
Registered
955 Posts
it cheapens the car by not having a very look different look than a normal 6?

to some degree, sure. but rather than "cheapen" i think understated is a better word. the whole appeal of having cars like this isn't to show off the wealth of the owner of the performance of the car. M cars is suppose to be sleepers, hence only minimum visual difference is needed.

for some reason, i feel a M6 might not be the car for you. maybe a Porsche Turbo will be better?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While I totally understand the understated looks of ALL M cars and actually agree with that concept somewhat, I was referring to the interior of the car, which the DRIVER would be getting the pleasure out of the majority of the time. So it would be more pleasing to me if I would be able to look at something that in my opinion is more aesthetically pleasing.. that's all. Didnt want to get misunderstood.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Isn't the location of the Homelink buttons one reason driving this change of mirror?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Terk said:
Isn't the location of the Homelink buttons one reason driving this change of mirror?
i am not sure, but it was certainly the reason for M3 with such option (BMW Assist) to not have M oval mirror.

·
Registered
955 Posts
2003M3Conv said:
While I totally understand the understated looks of ALL M cars and actually agree with that concept somewhat, I was referring to the interior of the car, which the DRIVER would be getting the pleasure out of the majority of the time. So it would be more pleasing to me if I would be able to look at something that in my opinion is more aesthetically pleasing.. that's all. Didnt want to get misunderstood.
sorry for being a bit harsh on you earlier.

now knowing what you truely meant, i actually agree with you on the interior part.
:)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Well, that ranks 243 on my list of 243 things to worry about for the new M6. But I do understand everyone has their hot buttons. I think you can think of it as another 'understatement'. Actually, I don't care what shape it is, I want a compass. Anyone know if they will figure out how to incorporate homelink and a compass into the mirror like the Japanese??

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wolverine said:
Well, that ranks 243 on my list of 243 things to worry about for the new M6. But I do understand everyone has their hot buttons. I think you can think of it as another 'understatement'. Actually, I don't care what shape it is, I want a compass. Anyone know if they will figure out how to incorporate homelink and a compass into the mirror like the Japanese??
Actually, yes they have figured it out. It is now listed (not shown) in the 6 series accessories brochure I picked up while putting my baby in for a blank Idrive screen.:(

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
2003M3Conv said:
I just feel it cheapens the car a little bit. It looks a bit clunky - not sporty.
Hey 2003M3Conv,

I'm with you. I love the Oval Mirror. It adds a touch of class and flows from the Outside M mirrors.

I have the one from Beastpower with the Valentine display in it. So I have my stock one spare.

When I eventually sell the Beast, I will replace the stock one, and I can put the V-1 Oval Beast mirror into the New M5/M6/M4 which ever I decide to get. Still undecided. :flag:

MJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts