BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering both. I used to have an '03 M5, I've had an '03 ZO6. The torque in the corvette was awesome. The new ZO6 will even tromp that. I'm now the proud owner of an '05 645i and am considering an M6. I worry what has been reported with the '06 M5 that the torque at low rpm's will wane for a truly throw you to the back of the seat acceleration, having to wait for the revs to get going. BMW's quality in build and materials are unparalleled, but 7.0 liters of brute force with exceptional fuel economy will be hard to beat. I don't need two 500 hp cars. What a frickin' dilemma.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would definately go for the M6...it`s not just about quality, it`s about engineering, technology, the awsome gearbox, free reving engine, appeal...you name it. I`m sure the Z06 is a great car but there just isn`t any contest in my eyes.

Cheers

·
Registered
881 Posts
It totally depends on what you want to do with the car. If track work/autocross etc. is on the plate, then there's no contest: the Z06 will destroy the M6. If more 'comfort' and cruising, etc. combined with high performance, then get the M6. Remember that the Z06 is $30K cheaper. Having owned both a '01 M5 and a '01 Z06, I can understand your dilemma.
Bish

·
Registered
179 Posts
Honestly, this has come to be my decision. My option is to keep my 02 m5 and add a new z06 or go to a new m6. no doubt the price difference will be hugh (how much will the m6 cost? premiums? availability?). z06 for 2 years then sell m5 and add m6? i do like to track but love to have room for my 4 and 7 year old. i think the decision will be made for me by bmw. if the price is over 100k... NO M6, if they try to sell over msrp... NO M6, if they can't get me the car by july 06 after being on several "lists" for the past year... NO M6. yes, i do have some anger towards the bmw dealer system in the states. love the cars, hate the dealers. I also just took back my deposit on a new 997s as it can't compete with the new z06. before the porsche lovers jump on me, check the numbers on the new z06 as well as the price compared to the porsche. is there really a choice?

just ranting,

frank

·
Registered
831 Posts
Its a vdery interesting question. In my view the Z06 is an amazing bargain at a raw performance level and will trounce the M6. Not sure how many people are in the same market. Personally I will stick with the M6 as I prefer its styling and have never owned a V10, but I recognize that its as much an emotiona decison as a rational one.

I think it does give BMW a problem in that the position of the M6 as its ultimate performer is not particularly ahead of the market. (Porsche has the same problem with the Cayman being very close to the 911),though the turbo is coming.

I suspect BKW is going to have to bring the M6 up to the 575hp level pretty quickly, not for substantive reasons but for all of the comparos that will come out in the auto mags in the next year or two. It is going to have to compete with the Porsche at the high end, and for some, the Z06 at the lower end.

AND they have to deal with the fact that the early press cars were all on Pzeros and the comparos may not be on the same rubber, which will further disadvantage the M6.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Frank,
I hate to tell you this, but I have heard the M6 will not arrive until June 06. And I think the pricing will be around 92-95k, before taxes. Add in the 3500 gas guzzler tax on the M5 + sales tax and I think you're right into or close to six figures.... I think the Z06 represents one incredible performance deal. The M6 is just more refined. The M6 appeals to me more, but I cannot deny the package Chevy has put together with the Z06. Both great cars. What a time to be a "car guy".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. All car enthusiasts(nuts) like most of us really do "need" two 500hp cars if we can afford it. I have a 2003 m-5, c-5 with 500hp, & a 2003 996tt. I'm going to 2 cars(isn't that being sensible) so I owe it to myself to get at least 500hp in each. Thus I'm getting a new E-60 m-5(I just can't get excited over the M-6, because to me it looks like somebody took a bunch of car body parts & threw them at the frame & produced something that just doesn't work Imho)& a c-6 z06. The c-6 zo6 is going to be a great street car cause it's put together right & it's light. The problem with so many of our fun street cars are they're too heavy. The vette(whether c-6 or c-6 z06) are the most bang for the buck by far. The m cars are wonderful for different reasons but they're all too portly. What we really need is an e-90 M-3 with 500hp weighing no more than 3400 lbs. I'm sure when the new m-3 comes out some of our tuners will be working on that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For my part there is no comparison between the vette and the M6.

Apart from raw power the M6 beats the vette hands down every time,the vette may be cheap but it ain't cheerful.
"power is nothing without control".

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
leviathen1 said:
For my part there is no comparison between the vette and the M6.

Apart from raw power the M6 beats the vette hands down every time,the vette may be cheap but it ain't cheerful.
"power is nothing without control".
So you're saying the M6 will make around the Ring in under 7:40? I'd say the Vette has *plenty* of control.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I think the Corvette is quite a sports car- irregardless of price- when you consider the price its an amazing deal. Reasons to pick the M6 are more emotional/ subjective: Styling, brand image, material quality, etc. I think theres nothing wrong with making either choice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
doug said:
So you're saying the M6 will make around the Ring in under 7:40? I'd say the Vette has *plenty* of control.
It's not just about ring times,if it was we'd all be driving round in Radicals,for the money !.

Purely subjective of course but if i was thinking about a comparable car out there with the M6,it would not be the vette.

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,797 Posts
doug said:
The M6 will not do 7 min 40, but I am not sure if the Vette will either.

I have read about the 7 min 40, but it is difficult to compare that lap with the M3 CSL 7 min 50 or Porsches GT2 7 min 44, since the driver is different.

But anything that laps the ring in a sub 8 min lap is extremly well put together.

Another thing, was that Vette stock? I belive I read that it was not.

But anyway the Vette is a tempting car, top bad the price in Norway will be to close to the M6 to really have a price advantage.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The new Z06's official time at the 'Ring is 7:43 (actually 7:42.99 but 7:43 is close enough). The Corvette seen there recently was not the rumored "Blue Devil" Corvette, but a new Z06.

The new Z06 costs around £21,000 less than the M6 in the UK.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I really hope Chev brings the Z06 to SA. Since they have triumphantly announced with a flood of ads that they are back in SA (mostly due to apartheid etc), so far all I have seen are re-badged Holdens aka Chev Lumina. What a **** car. Big underpowered engine with a TERRIBLE interior and build quality. The looks would be good for the first Mad Max film, but not anymore. Even worse are the re-badged Daewoos. 'Nuff said. They should stick to microwaves.

It's cheap in the USA because a) all their cars are cheaper than most places and b) it's a domestic. None of that applies to SA and almost everywhere else. Suddenly the Z06 looks less promising. It's not attractive IMO, has a crappy interior and doesn't have badge appeal. That's the bad parts for me.

NOW FOR THE GOOD
It goes like stink, is a super track car and has a BIG AMERICAN V8. No matter what anyone says, you have to own a big American V8 atleast once in your lifetime, if only just for displacement bragging rights and the sound. If that Z06 falls in the sub R500k bracket in SA, I'd start saving right now. If not, I won't give it another look. The price per performance would justify it's flaws. If it's priced too high it won't make sense to buy.

I see fully loaded Z06's are going for about $75k, correct? That's what I've been reading. This translates into roughly R 480 000 with the current exchange rate. Bear in mind - a $90k M5 costs R900 000 here. Most other cars also work on the 10:1 basis with the USA. Which would make the Z06 laughable value for money for me. I can buy the SLK 55 AND my BMW 120d for the same money. The only other drawback is that it has a heavy clutch - or so I'm told, and can only seat two.

But for sub-500k and a 7 liter V8, I'd say it's a deal :M5rev:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Rickcoin said:
The new Z06's official time at the 'Ring is 7:43 (actually 7:42.99 but 7:43 is close enough). The Corvette seen there recently was not the rumored "Blue Devil" Corvette, but a new Z06.

The new Z06 costs around £21,000 less than the M6 in the UK.
That was not a 'stock' car. That was a very well tuned car that consisted of stock parts. Big difference.

·
Registered
123 Posts
zeeohsixer said:
I'm considering both. I used to have an '03 M5, I've had an '03 ZO6. The torque in the corvette was awesome. The new ZO6 will even tromp that. I'm now the proud owner of an '05 645i and am considering an M6. I worry what has been reported with the '06 M5 that the torque at low rpm's will wane for a truly throw you to the back of the seat acceleration, having to wait for the revs to get going. BMW's quality in build and materials are unparalleled, but 7.0 liters of brute force with exceptional fuel economy will be hard to beat. I don't need two 500 hp cars. What a frickin' dilemma.
Why not getting both for a weekend? Drive them and decide on what you see and feel.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It's nice to have such choices, no? First it is wonderful that these fine automobiles are available for us. Second the fact that we are in a posistion to consider either or even both of these automotive masterpieces is the icing on the cake.

Either choice here is a good one. While I mostly dislike vettes and thier drivers (most are horrible track drivers), one can not deny thier track prowess. This is one fantastically balanced car. A great feat of engineering at a bargain relatively speaking. Great looking too!

The M6 while failrly ugly, is still a great car. I think it's the best looker of all the new styles. It has rear seats yes, but with even less room then the already cramped 5 series. I don't think they are a tangelble assette. The V10??? WOW! what a power plant. DOHC's are typically less torquey than pushrod engines. At least immediately. Pushrod engines have gobs of torque immediatley, but they tend to top out quickly too. My 95 M5 is slow to the HP. It doesn't come alive untill 4000 r's. Not the best track characteristic but soooo much fun on the streets. Once you hit that HP/TQ curve it like magic pulling hard all the way up to 7500. The sounds it produces are intoxicating. I can only imagine what the V10 will sound like when it spools up to 8000.

I have a depo on an M6. I have however decided to wait until the second year model to make a final decison. My 00 is a first model year and I'll never buy a first model year car again. We all know the shortcommings they had.

If you want a great track car the Z06 is it. If you want refinement, luxury and exclusivity the M6 is it. eithr way you can't loose.

I have a firm grasp, on the obvious, yes?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts